View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #139
AlysonRR
Glitter Guru

Marge and Kathy - your menus sound lovely. Marge - we always like a veggie tray for pre-dinner. Or how about "catered by costco" spanokopita? And serve the deviled eggs as appetizers, too. Though I did just hear a chef on the NPR cooking show "the Splendid Table" say you should never serve appetizers before a big meal like Thanksgiving - people should eat what you've labored over, not fill themselves up on nuts and pickles and olives. (My grandmother's holiday table was never complete without a nut bowl and a pickle/olive assortment ).

E - chocolate pecan pie sounds really good. I always have to make plain old pecan (grandma's recipe from the 30s) for DH and DD and plain old pumpkin (mom's recipe from the 60s - probably straight off the Libby's jar, LOL) for DS... It would be nice if they let me mix it up a little sometimes, but I guess I should be flattered they enjoy how I make our traditional family recipes.

We're having organic heritage turkey ($! splurge, but special deal through our produce delivery co-op), onion-mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing in the crockpot, curried sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, cranberry-orange chutney, and the aforementioned pies.

But we're also having a harvest dinner with all the 4H families on Monday. Twelve families, each of whom are bringing two dishes, so we'll all have tons of variety to sample. The kids will be awarded their pins for the previous year, then they're going to entertain us (hopefully!) with skits, hula hooping, poi ball twirling, cheerleading, singing, and three band songs (eight of them, grades 4-8, are in band). Should be fun!