View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2303
JBgreendawn
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
I've been selling my cards to my mom and a few of her friends for years, but they live in Chicago so I don't get the chance to have them look through the cards very often. I tried a craft show once, but I didn't do well at all. I tried selling at an Artisan and Farmer's Market here in my town (the table was only $10) and neither my fresh herbs from my garden nor my cards sold only some baked goods I threw together at the last minute, go figure!
I was going to try again at an end of the summer event so when I saw a rack at the thrift store I snatched it up (only $15 for a huge, former book rack). Then a consignment store opened up in my town and it looked like a good fit. I took a few cards in to show him in their plastic sleeves. The owner charges me a commission though other vendors pay per month per square foot of display. Since my space was all vertical, he deemed it more fair to charge a percentage of each card sale. I had posted about it and put up pictures on fb and a gal from my previous church saw it. She works at a store in a slightly larger town and the owner lets local artisans put things in her shop and charges NO commission. I only have a basket there, but I'm keeping track of what is selling and I may end up moving my rack there at some point.
Most of my cards sell for around $3.50 which is what my small town, rural Indiana market can bear. I charge less for simpler cards and mini cards. I've been in both shops since October so I don't have much data yet! The crazy thing was that when I filled the rack I had over 300 cards! The town I live in where I have the rack, is a lake town so it will be interesting to see if I can do more sales in the summer. So far it is just a fun little extra bit of income~about $60 in October but who knows. My mom bought $50 worth from me last week too so I'm rollin' in the dough!
That is the most awesome find I sell some of mine in an store on main street but, they out right buy them from me then raise the prices to resell them. Yes, I would say 4.00 range seems to sell best around here too, I think this weekend not many in the higher than that or none in the 8-10 range sold at all. but, people are still buying cards and most of them are giddy when they find one for less than 3 in a booth.

I think the no commission thing would be really cool for you if you do move locations.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!