View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Samantha
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't vote either. It depends on the illness, the possibility of carrying specific genes that may affect your kids and if you want the help and support of family and friends.

My DH has colon cancer and it runs in his family. Both my DDs then had pre-cancerous poylps removed. I think it saved their lives.

I have breast cancer and our poor kids are also being monitored for that. I had to find out if I was a carrier of the specific gene and if so, of course I would tell them. When one goes through chemo, radiation and surgeries, it is quite difficult to keep it a secret assuming you are close to your family. If not, then don't tell them.

So a yes or no answer to me depends of what the illness, etc. is. I didn't tell anyone that I was raped at age 10....even my mother. She still doesn't know. I only told my DH when the man tracked me down when we lived in another state and said he was now watching my daughters. It was something I had buried many years before. I had my phone tapped and they said the call had to have come from out of state, but it took a few years of therapy to recover. Just in time to bring out my Lupus diagnosis.

Do what you feel is best for you.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!