Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New SU trimmer - this is driving me crazy!

I just got my new SU trimmer. I really like that it is wider so I don't have to swing out the arm to cut paper for A2 cards, but when I removed the protective film, I found that the clear plastic layer over the markings is so reflective that it reflects the underside of the swing arm lamp over that end of my table like a mirror. I bend down to use the trimmer and there's a bulb reflection glaring in my eyes.

Anyone else notice this? I realize the purpose of the plastic is so the markings won't start wearing off like they did on the old model.

It's so irritating I am thinking of returning the trimmer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you try rubbing something on to the markings? are they recessed? if they are set into the surface maybe you could work some car wax down into the markings that won't leave residue on your paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

You can't. And I don't need to. The problem is that there's a clear plastic sheet over them. And it's very reflective. I can't move the lamp hanging over it and there's no where else to put the trimmer at this point.

I seem to be a person who has problems that no one else has. sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Does the clear sheet come off? Like when you get new electronics there is sometimes a clear sheet over them to protect from scratches. Is it like that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

No, there's a protective cling film that you peel off and under it the surface of the trimmer is not metal with the measurements on it like the old SU trimmer, it's plastic with the grid underneath it. Like on this Fiskars trimmer:

SureCut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, gotcha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I just called SU and they are allowing me to return it. Bummer. It really is a very nice trimmer. I highly recommend it. (Let's face it, who else is going to have the problem I did?)

For now I am going to have to just stick with my old SU trimmer. They don't make that model any more but I called Fiskars and they told me any blade refill made for an "I" style triple track trimmer should fit it.

Sad. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I just recently purchased two of the retired trimmers at a Marshall's store. They were $9.99 and were marked Stampin' UP! on the back of the packaging. Maybe you might have a Marshall's near you. ~ Pam

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I just called SU and they are allowing me to return it. Bummer. It really is a very nice trimmer. I highly recommend it. (Let's face it, who else is going to have the problem I did?)

For now I am going to have to just stick with my old SU trimmer. They don't make that model any more but I called Fiskars and they told me any blade refill made for an "I" style triple track trimmer should fit it.

Sad. :-(

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I have the retired trimmer. It's fine, really. The new one just allowed you to cut an A2 card without using the extension arm. And the track swings outwards and away from the trimmer surface instead of up and in your way which, duh, makes so much more sense.

Ah, well. Now that I know I can use any Fiskars replacement blade made for an I-style trimmer, my old one should be good enough for what I do.

But the experience put paid to the idea of considering the Procision cutter. Which I was looking at before I bought the SU one. All the Fiskars trimmers and cutters have that plastic grid protector layer. And until I reconfigure my studio, there's only one place to put whatever I have - right under that swing arm lamp. Great for being able to see the markings but not for anything highly reflective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only one who could have a problem with something everyone else would rave about! It is kinda like, don't get in line behind me because I will be in the slowest one.

Sorry you had problems with the new SU trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know you're returning this, but I just thought I'd pass on a suggestion in case somebody else does have this problem. There is a fixative spray that gives a matte finish, and it might be possible to spray the deck of the trimmer to dull the shine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I'm sure very few people will have the problem I had -

Every single trimmer and cutter Fiskars is now making has this plastic over the grid. I'm sure they did plenty of market research. It was just a really quirky, weird thing because of the way my studio is lit.

It was so unexpected. In fact, I thought I was just being over reactive when I first set up the trimmer and noticed the virtually mirror-like reflection of the underside of the lamp. But I made my guy come in and stand in front of the trimmer and asked him if he noticed any reflection and he said "This would drive me crazy. It's like there's a light bulb shining up out of the thing into your eyes."

He and I tried to think of a way to dull the finish so it wouldn't be so reflective. Some way to rough it up. But we couldn't come up with anything, and he can usually come up with a way to modify anything, he's just incredibly handy.

As for fixative sprays - it's an interesting thought but if someone wants to try it I'd really research it first. A fixative might be bad for plastic. Or it might work, but flake off as the trimmer is used. And it might create a surface that is difficult to work on. The plastic is actually lovely to slide cardstock over.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone else has to worry about this. If someone is thinking of buying the trimmer and wants me to post a picture of the spot where I had it and the offending lamp, I can do that so they can see the situation that created the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Oh, and just to add this: the trimmer comes with a protective film over the plastic that you are supposed to peel off. The thing was less reflective with it on, so someone could try leaving it on (too late for me to do that), but I don't think it would stay on indefinitely. I think it would slowly start to come off as you moved paper across the surface since it's meant to be removed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I had a Fiskars trimmer and no where on the packaging did it mention a removable protective fillm. My surface started to bubble, so I contacted Fiskars and was told about it. I felt stupid! The surface of my trimmer is not shiny at all. I don't need the swing arm for cutting A2 cards - maybe you could try this triimer?

I like the fiskars trimmer because it has a wire & it is easier to see exactly where I am cutting.

This trimmer was less than $20 with a coupon at Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Also, this trimmer has a lifetime warranty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Jen. But I think that if I can continue to get replacement blades for the one I have (which also had a protective film that I didn't realize was there until it started to peel up!) I will just stay with it. You have to swing the arm out to get to 5.5 inches so you can cut the paper in half, but I've been doing that all along.

I ordered a Tonic guillotine cutter to use for my heavier CS and I'll just stick it someplace not too inconvenient. It won't be right on my worktable for now, but I've just reached that point of critical mass of stuff on my worktable and I'm going to have to rethink how my studio is arranged in any case.
Reply With Quote Likes