View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Angelnorth
Watercolor Wizard

Contacting the manufacturer is an option. Nobody wants their product to get a bad reputation and these days it's very easy for that to happen as people post on boards like this, leave reviews on vendors' web sites etc etc. Even good companies can have a production quality problem with a batch of product - letting them know you got a bad one can help them sort out issues.

Reputable companies like Ranger or Sizzix generally have excellent customer service. Production of Ranger inks, Stickles etc is all US-based so if it's important to you that you're not buying stuff that has been "outsourced" for production stick with brands that don't do it (more of a problem for tools since almost all of those are made in places like the Far East). I have Ranger inks from their Adirondack and Distress lines, some purchased as recently as last week and have had no issues with them at all. I've also had no issues with the Tsukineko inks I have (Brilliance and Versafine) although I have seen some reports of new Memento colours being blotchy (I don't have any of those personally).

A couple of examples of going direct to companies - Ranger had a batch of Perfect Medium ink pads a couple of years ago that were bad (the foam pad disintegrated as soon as you tried to use it). They sent replacement pads free of charge to folk reporting the problem (no return of faulty pad required, no shipping expense to get the new one). My Big Shot died a horrible death with the bearings going - Sizzix/Ellison reprovided a replacement free of charge, again no requirement to send back the dud and no charge to ship the new one.

I don't know what consumer protection is in place for you guys. Here in the UK there's a concept of things having to be "fit for purpose" and if an item fails to live up to that you are entitled to a refund from the vendor. It might be worth checking your rights so that you're well informed when you approach either a vendor or a manufacturer with a problem.

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!