View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
antiquestamper
Stampin' Fool

Heather, I used to read your posts on the demo side all the time when you were over there! I agree with Limi, SU did seem to be a real passion for you and your cards are beautiful. Maybe it would be a good idea to consider signing back up?

I see you're in Canada, so I don't know if things are different up there, but here in the U.S. our schools use "aides" or "para professionals" in the schools. Many of them are assigned to and assist individual students who have a disability or a behavior problem, such as autism. Other aides make copies, do recess and lunch duty, laminate materials, etc. There is no special degree required, although they seem to choose people who have a college degree over those who don't in our area. I would think that having someone like you (with a disability) would be very inspiring for the children.

My mother was an aide for over 10 years and loved it. She felt like she was doing something very worthwhile, but it was pretty low-stress and it enabled her to work while we were in school and be home when we got out for the day and over the summers when there was no class. If you could get into a neighborhood school within walking distance of your home that would be even better...no need for a ride to work unless the weather was really awful.

Best of luck to you. You have dealt with a lot, but you are still so upbeat. That in itself is a real gift that sets you apart from so many others.

Christine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!