Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question for Stampin Up Demo's---DSP

What was the logic re: the DSP papers this year? I used to be a fan of purchasing for card making, but haven't bought any of it. Too many colors. Too many patterns. Nothing matches. Too busy. (Excuse me)---U.G.L.Y. Not things I would pick.

The 6x6 Christmas paper has some promise.

What was the goal? In previous years, 2-3 colors that actually went together, and pretty papers! I wanted all of them!

Any thoughts appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the FESTIVAL OF PRINTS paper pack, and that was it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have to say I loved them all this year!! The Howlstooth & Scaringbone was one of my favorites!! EVER!!!!!
Everyone likes something different! Maybe the spring catty will have some that you like better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought just 3 this year: Be of Good Cheer in the main catalog and Festival of Prints and Orchard Harvest in the Holiday catalog. I agree that a lot of them are really busy and seem to be all over the place both print and color wise. Plus, I'm a lot more selective since the price of all their papers went up a couple of years ago.

But I've never been unhappy with their paper that I do like! I have some that I use for specific holidays and never tire of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I bought the FESTIVAL OF PRINTS paper pack, and that was it.
'

That Christmas 6x6 IS cute and might get purchased by me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I pretty much agree with OP on this. Comfort Cafe and Snow Festival (in the Holiday mini) are the only two I'm even tempted by. I was frustrated by the complete lack of "real" Halloween papers - Howlstooth and Scaringbone are very cool, but don't coordinate well with all of the "cutesy" Halloween stamps (another frustration - where is Dark and Dreary or From the Crypt or other goth/cool images like those?) I was going to do a "Halloween Hoopla" workshop in late September until I realized that every stamp set that I wanted to use was retired! A lot of my favorite Christmas ones are already gone, too...

What I would love to see Stampin'Up! do is follow other companies' model and make 12" x 12" papers for scrapbookers and scaled-down 6" x 6" papers of the same designs for cardmakers! Now THAT would be FABULOUS (if, of course, the papers were pretty to begin with)!

Another frustration is in the colors dealie-o. There isn't a pale purple available, for example, when Wisteria Wonder retires next year. Shouldn't there be one in the core colors? Or will there be another one in the new InColors? It seems like they're doing that a lot - retiring a color and bringing in one that's "close but not quite" the same (Pink Pirouette/Blushing Bride; Pear Pizzazz, Lucky Limeade). Frustrating and expensive! I know, I know - it's "good marketing" and drives sales (the fashion and home dec industries have been doing it forever)...still frustrating and expensive...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in the minority for this thread. I love some of the prints they came out with this year. some of my favorites are Comfort Cafe, Twitterpated, Summer Smooches, Candlelight Christmas (love this one), and the 4.5x6.5 Festival of Prints pack though I wish that one was 6x6
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #8  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joanne ... what type of papers do you like? I thought there was a good range ... some geometrics (Be of Good Cheer), some swirly (Candlelight Christmas ... love the 'fuzzy transparency), and cute (Snow Festival).
I mostly do cards ... and have found uses for them all.

The Festival of Prints pack is great. If you cut each page in half, then it works perfectly as a focal point on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love most of our papers this year! I think they are right on trend with what else it out there. Personally I like lots of prints and colors because then I can use them MORE! I also like we have a LOT more smaller prints this year! I'm not a big print fan!

Much like Gail, I thought we had a good mix.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Joanne ... what type of papers do you like? I thought there was a good range ... some geometrics (Be of Good Cheer), some swirly (Candlelight Christmas ... love the 'fuzzy transparency), and cute (Snow Festival).
I mostly do cards ... and have found uses for them all.

The Festival of Prints pack is great. If you cut each page in half, then it works perfectly as a focal point on a card.

It seems their is a range of responses. Some like, others not. Being a Stampin Up buyer for 10+ years (I'm not a demo) it seemed very obvious to me that the DSP had a different "flare" then in the past. I assumed Stampin Up had some sort of goal, or reason, why they switched things up a bit. No replys to that means they didn't see anything different?

No worries. Have found lots of other companies who are doing small prints, colors that work better together, etc. (similar to the one example sited----the 6X6 Christmas paper in the mini----).

It could just be my tastes......when I look at "Comfort Cafe" those colors don't go together. Too many colors, too many prints, and it doesn't work well together. World Spectacular and Storytime are limited and too many colors, prints, etc. Patio Party---too many colors. Things don't go well together. International bazaar the same.

I assumed they wanted feedback if DSP paper sales are slow. But maybe they aren't!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #11  

Joanne - have you looked at the paper stacks? monochrome, smaller prints.

Some of the colour schemes are different than what we're used to ... but that may be the goal. There hasn't been a stated 'reason' ... although SU! is trying to appeal more to a younger market (20/30 somethings). That might be what you're seeing ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Joanne - have you looked at the paper stacks? monochrome, smaller prints.

Some of the colour schemes are different than what we're used to ... but that may be the goal. There hasn't been a stated 'reason' ... although SU! is trying to appeal more to a younger market (20/30 somethings). That might be what you're seeing ...
Ok----good to know. And maybe more a scrapbookers appeal vs. card makers appeal? Again, no worries. Just noted it vs. previous years. ALL of their DSP (in the past) was "my taste" so to go from that to none of it being my taste is a bit dramatic! lol

Again, am in a big city and have lots of other DSP buy options so the world isn't ending! ha!

Thank you!!!
Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
Ok----good to know. And maybe more a scrapbookers appeal vs. card makers appeal? Again, no worries. Just noted it vs. previous years. ALL of their DSP (in the past) was "my taste" so to go from that to none of it being my taste is a bit dramatic! lol

Again, am in a big city and have lots of other DSP buy options so the world isn't ending! ha!

Thank you!!!
Joanne
world is ending ... I want you to buy only SU! ;)
(yeah ... just a bit of a bias there!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

world is ending ... I want you to buy only SU! ;)
(yeah ... just a bit of a bias there!)
Trust me! They are my "go-to" company! I always start there (seriously). Love their stuff!! Am a "frequent flyer/buyer!!!" lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #15  

While I liked a lot of the paper, I found some of the responses interesting. I don't mean that snarky, I like reading what people like and how they approach things. I was looking through old SU catalogs the other day and it hit me how much SU has changed. It was funny to see some of the stuff and thankfully it has changed IMO. But I did notice that SU did a lot more scrapbooking pages in their catalogs before. They did very little scrapbooking in the current catalog. So it was interesting to hear that people thought they were catering more to scrapbookers now. I mainly scrapbook but do cards too. I do agree that for scrapbooking, prints and colors are more forgiving. Big prints don't work for cards well, for the most part. I loved the colors this year. I am curious if any of the in color colors will make a stay. I love Lucky limeaid and Island Indigo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

although SU! is trying to appeal more to a younger market (20/30 somethings). That might be what you're seeing ...
I must have sucker written on my forehead then, as I fell in love with this catalog more than any of the previous SU catalogs, and signed up as a demo in August. There was so much I wanted in this book (including lots of DSP - natural composition, floral district, polka dot, international bazaar, be of good cheer, birds of a feather... ok, I'll stop, because most of them are on my list!) that I wanted the discount to get my wishlist. I'm a cardmaker at heart, but hope to branch out into scrapbooking for myself (I've done 1.5 books as gifts), so I'm excited about the paper this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't like them much this year either. I am a real fan of Bo Bunny paper, so maybe that's it for me. I won't be buying any of it this year. Hopefully it will bee more to my liking next year. I do us almost all SU plain paper and really like it and all of the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Sounds like the DSP paper met the needs of many! No worry if I'm the one man out! lol Again, LOVE LOVE LOVE their stuff, in general, and will continue to be a buyer. Their DSP paper, in general, didn't do it for me with this catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Funny because this catalogue I fell in love with quite of few of th DSPs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #20  

Quote:

Sounds like the DSP paper met the needs of many! No worry if I'm the one man out! lol Again, LOVE LOVE LOVE their stuff, in general, and will continue to be a buyer. Their DSP paper, in general, didn't do it for me with this catty.
Not odd man, I am sure there are others that it didn't float their boats either. Maybe next catalog!
I do have to say that I don't always think SU does the best photographing of their products. I will see something in the catalog and think, no way! And then I see it in person or someone else uses a paperline and it gets put on my list!!!
Everything isn't going to appeal to everybody and that's okay. I can go from liking a SU printed paper to liking a crazy wild Graphic 45 paper!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not much of the paper did it for me this year either. I use all SU cs and a lot of their dp. This year I have only bought 2 paper packs and I have no plans on getting anymore. Actually this is the first year I haven't been thrilled with their catalog. This holiday catty didn't excite me nearly as much as some in the past. I am a big SU fan and this won't change I'm sure. There is always next year and I do buy other companies products. I love the small paper packs and too wish SU would do some of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I did like the smaller patterns better this year, I wasn't a fan of the big, chunky patterns. But I'm not buying much for exactly the reason the OP mentioned, too many colors. And many of those colors repeat themselves, three of the packs that originally caught my eye use the same four colors and this makes them look too much alike. When I look at paper I bought a couple years ago there were usually only 3 or 4 colors and it was just easier for me to match things. Many of the papers this year have 6 or 7 colors and it's too much.

I did get the Comfort Cafe because I saw that one in person and was hooked, and also the Orchard Harvest in the mini because I'm a bit of a sucker for fall patterns and I liked the color combo on that one.

Oh, and I got Berry Blossoms off the clearance rack because it completely frustrated me that SU didn't have any patterned paper this year with Wisteria Wonder and Calypso Coral. (that I like anyway) In the future I may start buying the Paper Stacks because I don't feel that SU uses some of their colors enough in their DP.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I love, love, love Comfort Cafe and the dsp in the Holiday catty, Snow Festival. I'm not sure if I'll get any others. Oh, the embossed kraft paper Natural Compositon....it is so awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #24  

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
What was the logic re: the DSP papers this year? I used to be a fan of purchasing for card making, but haven't bought any of it. Too many colors. Too many patterns. Nothing matches. Too busy. (Excuse me)---U.G.L.Y. Not things I would pick.

The 6x6 Christmas paper has some promise.

What was the goal? In previous years, 2-3 colors that actually went together, and pretty papers! I wanted all of them!

Any thoughts appreciated!
I'm a demo and I agree with you. In fact, so does my upline and all the girls in my hostess club as well. I did buy Be of Good Cheer and Festival of Prints and like them a lot. I also just ordered Twitterpated. I don't love it, but I like it and want to try and use our stuff. I also bought a lot from the clearance rack. There were some pretty papers there. I wish I had bought more Mocha Morning last spring. I LOVE that paper!

The new spring catalog has some dsp that coordinates with the Tea Shoppe stamp set and I'm anxious to see that. I hope it is not too busy with colors that go together, because that is my favorite stamp set!

While making things for Craft Shows, I bought papers from other companies. K&Company and Authentique are pretty, but not as pretty as some past SU dsp in my opinion. I LOVED Blueberry Crisp!!
Reply With Quote Likes