View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
MadgeRPh
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie FW View Post
Well, I voted "yes" and have been keeping my PTSD and my experience of child rape a secret from all my family members (accept my husband and I told him the night he proposed to me,) for more than 40 years and I do not feel one bit guilty about it.

Correction, I did tell my husband's sisters and my own sister about the childhood rape (but not the PTSD diagnosis) very recently, only because I felt confident that I could handle a negative reaction from them should I receive it (luckily, they were very supportive!) I did NOT tell any male member of either side of my family and if their wives or anyone else told them, they haven't mentioned it to me.

I will keep the child rape secret from my mom, she is 82 and in frail health and it happened when she put me in day care so she could work because our family needed the extra income. It would devastate her and make her very sad and upset and I see no benefit at all to tell her this late in her life and am completely happy with that decision.

I would do this with any major illness or disease. My husband would be the first to know, I don't think it is healthy to keep secrets from your spouse and he would be very upset if I kept this type a thing secret from him. I would only tell other family members if I absolutely thought that I had to, or should. Most of them would be a no.

Laurie,

Hugs to you!!

I think yours is a bit different situation. This information doesn't necessarily need to be shared.