Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphics Software

Hey ladies....I really had no idea where to post my question so I decided on the general forum.

I just discovered quilling, a gorgeous art form, and I've seen pictures on Pinterest of big quilled letters and I'm just dying to give it a try.

So what I am looking for is the ability to create and print a single letter (in my choice of font) that would fill up a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper (think decorative monogram to hang on the wall).

I think that there is probably some graphic design software out there that will do the trick, but I don't know anything about graphic software so I have no idea where to even start looking.

I've tried using Word, with Times New Roman, which is my preference, but you can only get the letter so big and then it starts to fall off the bottom of the age because there is a big margin at the top. KWIM?

Thanks in advance ladies for any advice or ideas you can give me.

Happy Hallowe'en!!
Jo Laughlin
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi Jo - If you want to let me know what letter you wanted to make and then PM me your email address, I can do it for you quickly and then email you a PDF of the letter.

That might be easier for you then trying to find a design program and learn the basics of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, great to see another quiller here!! You can download Inkscape, it is free and can be used as you want to create your letters to quill. Those of us with electronic cutters use it all the time to create our SVG cut files. Inkscape - Download InkScape free graphic editor now

I have been quilling for a few years now and love the new graphic edge quilling and just haven't gotten around to trying it yet!! Let me know if I can help you any. There are a lot of good tutorials for working with Inkscape, some are really techie but others are real simple. I haven't updated my poor neglected blog for a while, I have been doing classes. I am going to do so though, so people don't think I have fallen off the earth!! lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Jo -

I just tried doing this in Word, and it will work if you do the letter as WordArt instead of just typing in the letter:

1) Set up your page with whatever margins

2) Click Insert and then from that menu bar, click on WordArt. A menu of styles will pop up.

3) Pick the 1st one - looks like outlined letters with no curves or other effects

4) Pick your font and type your letter. Don't worry that the available font sizes don't go very high.

5) Word will kick you back to your document, with the letter in a box. Now you can use the "Shape Fill" option from the menu to fill the shape solid black, or just leave it outlined (not sure which you'll prefer for what you're doing).

6) Now grab one of the corner sizing handles on the box and drag it out so it fills the whole page.

I used Word 7 to figure this out, so depending on your version, it might be a little different, but it shouldn't be too terribly awful to figure out. Let me know if any of this needs clarification or if you want screen shots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep, I'd go with Cheryl's WordArt route for a quick and simple way to do it - no installing and learning a new bit of software to contend with and it works! As she says, i's important to grab a corner when you do the resizing so that the proportions stay the same. If you drag a handle on the side or at the top/bottom it will stretch the box only in that direction (sideways or lengthways).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ladies....thank you so much for your responses....it is SO MUCH appreciated!!! I'm off to experiment.....I will report back.

Hugs,
Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hey all.....I downloaded Inkscape....what an awesome little program that I will definitely be using. cbet's idea works perfectly though (and instant gratification....LOL). I'm finally ready to start quilling!

Thanks again, ladies!
Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

We have a gallery especially for Quilling in the Technique Spotlight, so be sure to share your creations .
I was going to say WordArt too for pretty much the same reasons Joanne did, but it sounds as if you're already sorted out.
Reply With Quote Likes