Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question inside card question

So what's the best/most attractive way to finish the inside of a card that has brads or grommets on the front so that you don't see them on the inside? I have had varied success on securing a layer of paper. Thanks for your ideas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually attach brads to a layer, and then attach the layer to the front of the card. That way the brad ends don't poke through the actual card front. Sometimes I use popdots/dimensionals to make that front layer a bit raised so the brad backings don't crunch the paper in the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I usually attach brads to a layer, and then attach the layer to the front of the card. That way the brad ends don't poke through the actual card front. Sometimes I use popdots/dimensionals to make that front layer a bit raised so the brad backings don't crunch the paper in the mail.
I always do this exact same thing! I can't stand seeing the backs of brads on the inside of my cards.

The only thing I can think of to cover them once it's already done is to put a layer of cardstock over them on the inside. But, I try to never poke them through. It's just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always make a card front and then attach it to a base so I don't have any brads, eyelets, or ribbon ends showing on the inside. Just my preference, but I think it looks nicer and neater. But, I've done this before, where the brad is an afterthought and it its showing through, I put a half sheet of paper in attached to the side the brad is showing and then put my sentiment on the other side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I do the layer thing first also, but on those occasions I have forgotten, I've punched a little circle or flower and glued them on......looks like you planned it that way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sometimes the card design doesn't lend itself to an additional layer on the front (also known as I forgot to think of it ahead of time ;) ). My solution is to add a cover on the inside. Typically I will add an appropriate quote, either stamped or computer generated on this panel to make it look intentional. I've tried covering the brad thingies with circles, etc., but I like the look of the full panel better. JMHO.

I will say that I sent out a card a couple of weeks ago with the brad thingies on full display inside and no disaster resulted, so maybe I've been over thinking it. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone. I've been doing the inside layer thing, but sometimes it still looks rough. (bumpy, etc) I'll go the extra layer on front way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I buy text weight paper, 100 sheets at a time, cut it the same size as my card base minus 1/4 inch all the way around, stamp the inside sentiment, fold it in half and put one strip of the 1/4 inch ATG tape near the fold on the side that will back the front of the card.

I put an insert inside every card because it covers any mechanics, it gives heft to the card, and it is inexpensive to replace if the sentiment stamp ends up wonky. Actually, I buy sand-colored paper because it's nicer than white computer printer paper and it goes with every color. It's 7 cents a sheet but makes the card look way more expensive and is probably cheaper than using a cardstock panel on the front of the card, to hide mechanics.

If the sentiment I stamp inside looks bad, which is too often the case with several clear stamps, I can still save the base card by melting the glue of the insert in the microwave for about 10 seconds.

I've found that putting the double-faced tape anywhere but just that one strip near the card fold can pull the base card off-kilter when the card is closed. Sorry this sounds so long and complicated. It soon becomes so routine you feel the card is naked without the insert.

Bahb

Last edited by Bahb; 10-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Added a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much Bahb! I agree that the plain paper insert really enhances a card. I already add it to the half with the message when I use dark colored stock. My question back to you is if you only put adhesive near the fold what holds the rest of the insert in place in order to cover up the mechanics? I've tried gluing an entire piece, but it wrinkles and pulls the card base. Sometimes I've just put strips of DP inside the front to enhance/disguise. On this one specific card I just made I need to cover the entire inside front. Thus, my dilemma.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdayView Post
My question back to you is if you only put adhesive near the fold what holds the rest of the insert in place in order to cover up the mechanics?) On this one specific card I just made I need to cover the entire inside front. Thus, my dilemma.
Maybe I didn't make it clear that my insert covers the entire inside front and the entire inside back both. But I only put adhesive near the seam of the front insert and usually when the person opens the card, that strip holds the insert such that it opens to the sentiment. If it doesn't, I add a smidge of adhesive perpendicular to the strip that's near the fold. That smidge is usually about an inch of adhesive on both the right and left side of the card, but warning.............it doesn't make a smooth cover. It only makes it slightly more likely the card will open to the sentiment. I seldom have to do that.

If the recipient WANTS to see my mechanics, they can easily. But my experience with fastening the insert as a cover on all edges ends up the same as yours......galley-wampum. My inserts are an INTENT to cover the mechanics, not actually a cover that couldn't be easily lifted. Commercial cards do this all the time.

I'm sorry! I just realized I am no help with your current card. If you could disassemble it and put the elements on a panel that you could then affix to the base card, would that help? I've disassembled many a card by heating it in the microwave to melt the adhesive (I use ATG tape) so I can remove elements. I also know how hard it is to get to the point of shoving it into the wastebasket as a hard-won lesson in accepting failure of a plan I've worked on for days. :-)

Happy Crafting,
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

You can always stick the brads on with glue dots, first snipping of their tails with tin snips. Or use Candis, which are fake brads. I often snip off the tails of my metal brads because I usually forget to add them to the appropriate layer until after said layer has been adhered to the base and it's too late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #12  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Sometimes the card design doesn't lend itself to an additional layer on the front (also known as I forgot to think of it ahead of time ;) ). My solution is to add a cover on the inside. Typically I will add an appropriate quote, either stamped or computer generated on this panel to make it look intentional. I've tried covering the brad thingies with circles, etc., but I like the look of the full panel better. JMHO.

I will say that I sent out a card a couple of weeks ago with the brad thingies on full display inside and no disaster resulted, so maybe I've been over thinking it. :cool:
I believe a huge storm hit the east coast and an earthquake rocked the west coast, but no worries, keep showing your brads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Me too!
Reply With Quote Likes