Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distress ink foam

I saw this cool technique by a couple different people where they have individual blending foam pads for each of their distress ink pad colors and showing how they stored them. They would take the original ink pad and on the bottom outside they would use a tacky tape to place the foam pad onto the bottom of the ink pad for each color. My question is has anyone tried this technique and does it dry out the ink and make the blending foam pad stiff and unusable by storing them this way?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store them this way and haven't had any trouble!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it, but I found that I couldn't stack them. I hated that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a a cute box (where I got it and what it had in it I have no clue). Cut some dividers and printed out the color list from Ranger and cut them and put on the dividers and put the foam in there. Works good for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Becca Feeken has a great solution: Becca Bit: Distress Ink Blenders Storage � Becca Bits � Stamping � Amazing Paper Grace

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried velcro-ing them to my pad bottoms, but I didn't like the extra stress it put on them when I had to rip them off to use them. I find those pads tear at the edges if I am not careful even when I take them off the blender tools and the velcro I was able to buy to put on the pads was even more hook-y and tenacious than the stuff that comes on the tools. So I store mine in labeled bags like Becca, but I just line the bags up in the plastic "box" thing that comes on the front of the 10 packs of pads. I have three of those. (And a bag of extra foams.) It's really kind of a bother. I just have not hit on the right solution for the foams yet. Broncofan, I'm trying to picture your method. You just have your foams behind dividers? But how do you know what foam goes with what pad? Are your foams labeled in any way? I can't seem to find anything that you can use to write on the back of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I just took a picture but will have DH upload it tommarrow. The labels with all the distress colors you can print from Rangerink.com. In the search put labels and there are more than when I printed mine. I have them in a box 3 across and on a white piece of cardstock cut to fit. the pad is in front of the color label like a filing system (ok it is a filing sytem). Similar to a Rolodex? but in a box. Maybe like a jewelry separator box(is there such a thing?) Hope that helps a little. I've never uploaded anything but DH can do it. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

So you just have to refile them as you remove them? Thanks for explaining and if you can upload a picture that would be good to see, but don't stress over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Yes just put new one to fill the "slots" and as they wear out as was said even when you take them off the tool they get frayed. Like I said can't remember where I got the box or what was in it (Yea for hoarders HA). It is about 5 1/2 wide and 7 1/4 length and 2 inches high w/ a lid and it works really good for me. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Valli, thanks for the link. I am going to try Becca's storage idea. Love the fact she provided the small details like make sure to keep the opening of the bag at the bottom and writing in the same direction. Looks super portable too which will help when I attend classes and meetups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was wondering if anyone else is like me. I just have several in a baggie that are used. As I use them, I just rip them off the tool and set them on my desktop. Then at the end of the day, or when I get around to doing it, I just go to the sink and rinse them out with a little dish soap, scrunch them up in a paper towel to dry. I put them back on my desktop, then put them back in the baggie once I feel they are dry.

When they get worn out, I have plenty of new ones in stock, ready to take their place. I have never felt this method was cumbersome or annoying, I guess. But my space is at a premium, so I really don't want to make room for a big box of some sort. And i really don't like inky pads hanging around, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default distress ink storage solution that worked for me

I found the most helpful storage tip was the one from Becca Bits, link at:
Becca Bit: Distress Ink Blenders Storage � Becca Bits � Stamping � Amazing Paper Grace

I ordered the Hang Ems, picked up some small ziplock baggies and it is working great keeping them on the 2" keyring so thank you, Valli, Crimping Master!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Donna, so glad I could help, but Becca is the smart one!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I couldn't do what you do, Vicki. I don't like to handle the pads while I'm working because the ink gets on my fingers and then all over anything else I touch. So I have nine blender tools, which means I can set up for up to that many colors and not have to fool with the pads once I start working.

Keeping them in little plastic baggies is working for me pretty well, once I found the kind that have a white space on them where I can write in the color names. I'm going to stick with it for now. I am now just keeping them lined up in a plastic container. It helped a lot when I finally got my Distress Ink storage unit from Organize More. Having the pads stacked up on top of each other was a big nuisance. Now I can just pull out the ones I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I save the plastic cover the extra foam pads come in and store them there in alphabetical order...I write the color on the side of the pad with a sharpie and they sit in my drawer with my inks...

Simple, free, works!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadiebirdView Post
I was wondering if anyone else is like me. I just have several in a baggie that are used. As I use them, I just rip them off the tool and set them on my desktop. Then at the end of the day, or when I get around to doing it, I just go to the sink and rinse them out with a little dish soap, scrunch them up in a paper towel to dry. I put them back on my desktop, then put them back in the baggie once I feel they are dry.

When they get worn out, I have plenty of new ones in stock, ready to take their place. I have never felt this method was cumbersome or annoying, I guess. But my space is at a premium, so I really don't want to make room for a big box of some sort. And i really don't like inky pads hanging around, I guess.
Yes that is more like me! I have a small wire basket of pads and sponges right beside me and I just take out what I need. The exception for me tho is I don't wash them until I'm running low on clean ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I couldn't do what you do, Vicki. I don't like to handle the pads while I'm working because the ink gets on my fingers and then all over anything else I touch. So I have nine blender tools, which means I can set up for up to that many colors and not have to fool with the pads once I start working.

Keeping them in little plastic baggies is working for me pretty well, once I found the kind that have a white space on them where I can write in the color names. I'm going to stick with it for now. I am now just keeping them lined up in a plastic container. It helped a lot when I finally got my Distress Ink storage unit from Organize More. Having the pads stacked up on top of each other was a big nuisance. Now I can just pull out the ones I want.
And my fingers are almost always inky, LOL.

If I was to get organized about it I like the idea of the 'filing' system, as that is how I organize most craft supplies and tools in my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I store my used ink pads in a fishing tackle clear case ..like the ones that fishermen store their lures in. I have the color name on a piece of paper on the bottom of the dividing bins. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

How do you store your nibs for coloring with th Distress inks? I am using the SU clear DVD case like Becca showed, but have trouble keeping them attached to the tape?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used sticky velcro dots on the bottoms of the case. My DI are already in a storage shelf on the wall, there was plenty of room to keep the pad with each ink. The crafty room is also where our fireplace/stove is (so it gets REALLY hot in there during fire season) but I've never had any problem with them drying out or getting crunchy feeling. It's been years since I organized them this way - so I'd have to say that leaving them out isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #21  
Simon Says Stamp

I have several applicator tools and hang them on here (with the foam pads on them).

So I can't speak to the approach you are using. But I can say that even with the foams totally exposed on this spinner rack they don't get stiff. They are still usable over and over. So I wouldn't worry about them getting stiff using other approaches that have the foam "out".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

No, the foam doesn't ever seem to dry out. I only keep mine in plastic bags because it's convenient storage, not to keep them moist. I don't seal the tops of the bags, just stick the pad in and put it in my plastic container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the pads and do glue dot them on the bottom of the pad. I keep them in a large draw and most are not in a stack, but a few need to be to fit in the draw. It works fine for me, but I don't mind my inky fingers. I find they last a long while, most haven't had to be changed yet. I have a spinner on my desk and have been known to have a bunch working at once.
Reply With Quote Likes