Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Vector images on a Mac?

I have used many regular Dover Clip images. I just drag and drop them into my word processing program ( pages) and resize them. They are all only available in black

I bought a Dover Vector CD and book of images and I can't figure out how to use them. It states these work with Windows or a Mac. There is supposed to be a Design manager with the CD and I can't find it . The images are line images but shown in various colors that I do not want . Supposedly they can all be changed

Can anyone tell me how to use Vector images on a Mac?
I have been fiddling with this for 2 hours with no success
I tried contacting Dover, but their mail box is full so I can't leave a message.

After this rigamarole I may need to put padded walls on my Christmas wish list :(

Any advise would be appreciated !!
Thaks
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I use Inkscape on my Mac, it's free!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
I use Inkscape on my Mac, it's free!
The Vector CD I bought has a file for inkscape but says it is only for Windows, Leopard and Tiger. I have Snow Leopard and there is no link or anything to let me install it . The directions on the Dover site says insert the disk into the drive and then double click on the icon on the desktop. Choose "Data" to install inkscape. When I double click all that happens is it opens the files with the images. :(

Where did you get inkscape?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

First download and install X11 from here (select the dmg for Snow Leopard):

X112.5.0

Then download and install Inkscape from here:

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

On my Mac Lion, X11 automatically launches when I run Inkscape. It's sort of a plug in that's required for the user interface (aka GUI that enables the use of a mouse and keyboard within the application).

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds. I hope it works well for you. I don't how I would survive without Inkscape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

First download and install X11 from here (select the dmg for Snow Leopard):

X112.5.0

Then download and install Inkscape from here:

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

On my Mac Lion, X11 automatically launches when I run Inkscape. It's sort of a plug in that's required for the user interface (aka GUI that enables the use of a mouse and keyboard within the application).

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds. I hope it works well for you. I don't how I would survive without Inkscape!
Thank you!!
I am new to this digi idea, but due to lack of storage space for stamps and DP plus the cost of stamps I may only use once I want to learn the digi world.

Next week I am going to upgrade to Mt Lion so I will wait to do download Inkscape. . As you know for an upgrade I will need to set aside a few hours to get that done . First the download, then the install, then the updates LOL

If it asks me where to install it should I say "Applications" ??

Did you see the great CD's on the Stampin Up Clearance Rack? They have lots of DP patterns and stamps on them and are really cheap. I ordered a few of them. A while ago I ordered one digi download of paper to see how it works. I was pleasantly surprise how easy it was to drag and drop the pattern into pages and resize it. It reduces the pattern so it is more suitable for cards.

I Googled the names of the patterns for the SU Clearance Rack CD's to see what they look like before I ordered them
Thanks for your advise !
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I should check the CD's out. I'm getting very frustrated with the selection of DP and card stock at the stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I should check the CD's out. I'm getting very frustrated with the selection of DP and card stock at the stores.
These were my problems. Either the paper pattern I liked was in a stack with a gazillion other patterns I would never use or the actual patterns were too large for cards. Then if it was a SU paper pack that I really liked I had to buy extra before it was retired. I will have none of these problems with digi paper

I bought one download of SU paper to try it and was very happy when I tried it. I do not have their software program called My Digital Studio. I just dropped and dragged it into my word program ( pages--I have a Mac) and from there I was able to resize it . The great thing is when I reduced the size (they default to print 8 1/2" x 11") the pattern size was also reduced and was perfect for cards

I bought a couple CD's from the SU Clearance rack. I really only want the digi paper, but they were so cheap it won't matter that I won't use the other stuff on the disks . Plus, unlike paper, disks need very little storage space

Now I have learned these disks have an auto install and I don't have their software My Digital Studio. So I need to find out how to over ride the auto install and just work with the digi paper from the disk

This , like everything else , has a learning curve LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Now I really want to check them out. Which is your favorite one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Now I really want to check them out. Which is your favorite one?
I can't answer which are my favorites since I don't have the CD's yet they are supposed to be delivered today.

The regular downloads for paper are only $4.95 and I know they work without My Digital Studio , because I bought one .

The CD's have a lot of things I will never use so now I am trying to find out if I can just install the paper images. I'll let you know when I get an aswer.

I plan to buy a few more of the regular digi paper downloads. One of my all time favorites is Cottage Wall. It was retired, but is still available as a download . I am also going to buy the digi version of Jolly Holiday. I have it in the printed paper and many of the patterns are too large for card. I can reduce the pattern of the digi version. Bella Rose paper is also still available in the digi version and several of those patterns are too large for cards in the printed version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I got my SU digital CD suites today. I loaded them on to my computer with no trouble and I don't have MDS. I posted the instructions for anyone using a Mac on the General Stamping thread.

The DP is fabulous !

I found another bonus to digi paper. My favorite SU DP is Cottage Wall. I bought an extra pack, but have been very stingy about using it because it is retired . I am going to order the download of Cottage Wall and use it as often as I want to. I will always have it . I can just print more from my file
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

There's an easy way to convert the Dover vectors to png on a Mac. Double click an eps file icon and it will open in preview. Then just export as png and you can treat it like the rest of your digis.
Reply With Quote Likes