View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1904
raquelita_uno
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I think it's really sad that the only way to feel a sense of community is to attend church. I feel where you are coming from though, I meet more and more people these days who do the same thing.
*Smiles* I didn't mean to imply that that's the only place that I feel a sense of community! I live in a town of less than 500 so we do a ton of stuff as a community (this evening ECFE families got together at school to decorate/carve pumpkins). I help at funerals and with other church functions more to help my neighbors than to save my soul I can understand that many do look for connections at church, especially in small towns, even if they aren't religious. In our town the churches and the bar (that's all you need to be a town, right?) are really the main gathering places.

This might sound silly, too. But I take my children to church so that we can discuss any messages given that may permiate our society and I can put them into a context that fits more with our family views, the same as any devout family might do. Last week I went home to my parents' and in the lobby of church were buttons supporting the constitutional gay marriage ban. My 7 year old wanted a button (didn't matter what was on it) but I was able to use it as a teachable moment to say that wearing that button would go against our family's values.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!