Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with a wall unit

I would appreciate help with getting a new wall unit for my craft room. I am looking to get a 7 foot long counter top high enough to stand and work at. I am going to put my cricut, big shot and scorer in one area and my open scrapbooks I will be working on when I can drag myself away from the desk of card making. I am having the counter made by my kitchen guy. I am not interested in looking for garage sale items. Not to offend anyone with that last comment. I am also going to have a shallow shelf up top to store things I like to see for quick grab/idea/inspiration like my ribbon carousels. What is am wondering is what would be best for underneath. I have looked at the Ikea drawers but they don't fit exact to the height I would like my counter at so I could get some drawers custom made. I do not have a huge selection of 12 x 12 paper and all my cardstock is in a Best Craft shelving unit so I don't need any of those sized drawers. I was thinking of having just open book shelves underneath for my storage. Please give your opinions because with a purchase/construction of this I would like to not make many errors. I am a card maker more than a scrapbooker but need to have those books and pages out to keep up to date for myself and family members I like to create for.

Thank, Lorri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I don't know about you, but I have dust in my house. I prefer not to have my stuff on open shelves. LOL, I don't need to be dusting in the craft room! I suppose if everything you are keeping on the shelves is in closed containers, it wouldn't be a big issue, though. Personally, I'd at least have doors to keep things behind.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,036 Likes on 476 Posts

Ahhh, this sounds SO nice!!! I have a tall dresser that I have my BigShot on, because I like standing to use it. If I had a plug back there, I'd add my Cricut to make it easy!

For one thing, I would make sure there was nothing but clear space underneath for about 2-3 feet wide so that you can stand comfortably & that your feet don't constantly "bump" something while you are working. That's one thing I would change if I could.

Also, if you're getting custom shelving under it, I'd have a VERY WIDE pull out drawer in the center under the counterspace. I'd put my 12" trimmer in it, as well as my Cricut pads/cutting stuff so that it's easy to access. It wouldn't have to come down very far, just enough room for what you need at that station.

I would also have storage close at hand for Cricut cartridges, dies for your machine and embossing folders. I'm not sure beyond that because I don't know what else you have...but I'd do a huge inventory to see what kind of different spaces I would need. It would be a tremendous help to have some small cubicles for bellies and things and larger ones for tools & such.

But even with the BEST inventory, planning is hard because you never know what you may "need" in a couple of months, right? ;)
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that I would like to buy a long dresser from a thrift store/Goodwill/Saver's type of store (maybe even a HFH Resale store). I craft out of the closet in the guest bedroom/home office nook and since I am using the closet, there isn't really a spot where guests can hang their clothes, so a dresser about 3 to 4 feet long and 20 inches deep would be nice to have in the room.

Who knows one day if we upgrade our current bedroom furniture to something else I'll just remove the mirror off our dresser and move the dresser to the room where I craft.

I don't have the space in my closet to store my Big Shot on my workspace and I have to sit on the floor when die cutting or embossing, so my mind has really been thinking about getting a second hand inexpensive dresser into the guest room.

Maybe a makeup vanity minus the mirror and chair?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow is the day that my craft room begins a major remake. DH is getting ready to build some storage items. I want a paper organizer that I can have on the wall beside my work table. I also need to move a desk in there so I can have a center for my Big Kick. By the end of the weekend I should have a couple centers set up and ready to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open bookshelves for storage of what materials? It sounds like you have your paper stored elsewhere. What do you want to store underneath?

You're smart to really think this through, since you're getting a real built-in counter to work on! I envy you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I purchased upper kitchen cabinets from home depot. They are my base all the way around my room. I have a tall area to use my big shot and desk height area for my computer. I had to order the cabinets and then my dh installed them.

HTH
Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I don't know about you, but I have dust in my house. I prefer not to have my stuff on open shelves. LOL, I don't need to be dusting in the craft room! I suppose if everything you are keeping on the shelves is in closed containers, it wouldn't be a big issue, though. Personally, I'd at least have doors to keep things behind.
I totally agree with contrapat. Doors on below storage keep stuff clean and out of sight. However, consider sliding doors. With a countertop above sometimes opening doors out is a bit contorting unless there is open space behind you. If you have a table close behind you, I can imagine bumping my behind or hip each time you have to pull something out..snicker. Wouldn't it be cool to have sliding doors that all slid back into the last section? Like those cool outdoor sliding glass doors that open up the indoor space to the outdoor space. I am thinking the doors would have to slide to both ends of the cupboard.. Geez, I am getting into engineering mode here...
Good Luck and have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the unit and for now it is a 7 foot counter with three units underneath. totally open for now as I am not sure about the drawer/shelves as of yet. I also had a cupboard unit made for the wall above. again just an open unit with double shelves for storage. The whole unit is in birch so being open for now it will not look so stark.

I do have a Best Craft container that I store all my stamps and embellishments in that is behind my desk. Then I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet for all my cardstock. Finally there is a 12 x 12 unit for the scrapbooking cardstock. My only thought is that I might have two file drawers made for the unit to store pp 12 x 12 but at this moment I do not have enough of that to make it worth the extra expense.

I am thinking that now this unit is going in my son will not have the option to move back home unless he wants to sleep with me and dad, ha ha ha.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes