View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2203
WordTrix
Gabfest Goddess

I finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (contemporary fiction) over the weekend and started The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (classic ghost story).

The Casual Vacancy is very definitely an adult novel, with adult situations, and is not for children or young adults. Here's what I wrote about it at GoodReads:

Quote:
I wasn't sure I was going to like this one after the first twently pages, and found it difficult to keep all of the characters straight the first half of the book. Am glad I stuck with it, though, as I was actually a bit choked up at the end. This is Rowling's first novel written for adults, and is as different from her Harry Potter series as any book could be. I think the mixed reviews this book has garnered stems primarily from people expecting to be swept into a fantastical realm like Hogwarts and Knockturn Alley--not the gritty reality in which they find themselves. My advice is to go into it with an open mind and no expectations.
As for Hill House...I usually stay far away from horror, but this book is a classic written in 1959, and -- judging from the sixty percent I have read so far, and the 1969 movie version I have seen -- it is more psychological than blood and guts. Here is the opening paragraph for your "pleasure".

Quote:
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.
Spooky, no?

Heather

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!