Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Archival materials in albums

I've searched around in this forum a few times and never saw this mentioned. I love making journals and albums, but I prefer them to be somewhat archival. I want them to last at least 20 years without damage from acid, adhesives, cheap paper, etc.

I see so many albums and tutorials using things like toilet paper rolls, coffee holders, envelopes, including manilla ones, ceeal boxes, etc.

How do most of you feel about using these things in something you've put hours of work into, especially if it's a gift with family photos and mementos, and things inside?

More importantly, I see a lot of albums for sale on Etsy which also include these materials, and the albums aren't cheap. Of course, I'm glad the albums aren't cheap, they are a lot of work, and are fairly expensive to make, especially if they have a lot of embellishments. I'm thinking about the people who buy them, expecting them to last for many years.

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one who is bothered by it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I like my items to be archival as well (I think it is the part of me that started this craft with Creative Memories ;) ). I want to know that my albums are going to last for my children to enjoy for a long time. So, I am very careful about what goes into my albums.

Now, sometimes I will make little things that aren't meant to be kept forever that I will make using other non-archival items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I did a quick google search and found this:
How long does paper take to decompose
I couldn't find an answer for how long it takes cereal boxes to decompose.

I watch some of those tutorials and enjoy them, but never have put together an album. I guess it wouldn't bother me.

I have some cards from a co-worker who is also a card-maker. Some of her cards that I've had for years already, have fallen apart. But that doesn't bother me very much. I just wait a little longer, until I can easily take them completely apart and then re-adhere the layers together. But I can totally see this bothering others. Especially if the recipients don't have an ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I don't get too caught up in the whole ARCHIVAL subject, for one reason:
By the time you get that piece of paper home, how many people do you suppose have touched it? Same with the album, embellies, etc? I create because I love it, and I enjoy giving handmade gifts. I've been paper crafting for 20 years, and still have some of my original crafts. As long as you don't have really highly acidic products touching pictures, you should be ok. Any reputable stamp or scrapbook company's products should be safe for many years. And I love using unusual things in my books, like toilet paper rolls, and never had a problem.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For myself, I'm not really that concerned since the things I make won't be handed down through the generations because I don't have any children. My niece may get some of the things I've made after I'm gone if they're still around. I tend to toss things I make when I run out of room or get bored with them. This is a hobby I do for myself and as long as it lasts while I'm enjoying it, thats all I really care about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't bother very much either. I figure those mini albums are fun quick albums (some of them are not so quick though) to enjoy...so I enjoy them!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

It was good to hear what others think. I guess the biggest reason I wondered this is because I sell a lot of mine, and I wanted to be sure they weren't going to fall apart or get stained by acid materials in a few years after people paid good money for them. Maybe it would be different if I made them for myself. (I've got to sell things so I can afford to buy more stuff)! :-D

Most of my albums are 6x9 with about 12 pages, so I get about $50 for them. I do see them for sale, sometimes for more money on Etsy and other places, and some of those contain cereal boxes and things, and it made me wonder if I was worrying for nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi17View Post
It was good to hear what others think. I guess the biggest reason I wondered this is because I sell a lot of mine, and I wanted to be sure they weren't going to fall apart or get stained by acid materials in a few years after people paid good money for them. Maybe it would be different if I made them for myself. (I've got to sell things so I can afford to buy more stuff)! :-D

Most of my albums are 6x9 with about 12 pages, so I get about $50 for them. I do see them for sale, sometimes for more money on Etsy and other places, and some of those contain cereal boxes and things, and it made me wonder if I was worrying for nothing.
I personally think the only thing you really need to worry about is whether the glue will hold up over time. I'm not concerned that the paper or embellishments are going to deteriorate - its the glue. When I first started scrapbooking I was using snail glue I got from SU (Tombow) and all my scrapbook pages that I used that glue on fell apart. I was not impressed and won't ever use that stuff (I'm being nice - I use a different word to describe it ) on my pages again. I had to go back and re-glue about 25 pages. I haven't looked at the other albums I used it on or my wedding album. I don't want to see everything fall apart before my eyes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I worry about the glue too. I know glue sticks fall apart in about 10 years or less, and I've had problems with every glue runner I've tried. They don't seem to be strong enough to hold in albums. I use the ATG now, but I've only been using it for about 8 months, so that's hardly long term. I also use the red stuff when I can find it, but have only used that for about 1 year.

I love Brads for extra security, and have been trying to use them when possible on album corners. I wish my mother hadn't confiscated my sewing machine. I don't really like the look of sewing, but it works. I suppose I'll have to invest in a new machine, because my mother got very attached to mine when she borrowed it a few years ago, and I can't get it back without upsetting her.

Ailene's glues seem to last, but can't be used for everything, so does silicone glue, wood glue, rubber cement and Duco, but non of those are good for most of the scrapbooking applications.
Reply With Quote Likes