View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1895
Erin in Okc
Hardware Hotshot

Mel, I'm glad I finally decided to post on this thread. I've read it for a long time, but never posted.
It was so scary and stressful finally telling him, but I think it was harder than not talking about it at all. Some of you may have heard of the church they go to. It's Lifechurch.tv. They are all over.
I thought it was such a coincidence that the threads above mine are about gay rights. I'm a huge gay rights supporter. I barely talk about it, but still my family thinks I'm weird. One day I was with my son at the drive thru at Starbucks, and as we were pulling away I said something about how nice the employee was who helped us. My son said, "Mom, you take the whole gay thing too far!" I said, "What are you talking about?" He said, "Same thing at the restaurant the other day. You were so nice to that bad waiter just because he was gay. Dad noticed it, too." Hmmm...I had to tell him that his gaydar must be better than mine, because it never entered my mind that those guys were gay. I just thought they were really nice, and trying hard to do a good job. :P I have some gay friends, and yes, I sometimes cry when I read something on facebook, and sometimes it is about somebody who couldn't be married to the person they were with for years, and when they died they weren't allowed to go to the funeral or something. That stuff really gets to me. Why do they think that makes me bad somehow? Seriously, I think they pray for me about this.
I am lucky enough to have several atheist friends. Most of them are online/not close friends, but my closest friend is an online friend I talk to daily. She says she tells her christian friends that she is probably the most blessed person they know, because EVERYBODY is praying for her!