Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purging ??

If you did a massive purge as I NEED to, what would you get rid of? Paper? tools? stamps? What do you have that stiffles your creativity? I have OOOODLES of ugly paper. People, I mean I have a box that my oven came in, that could be near half filled with the ugly paper that I grabbed by the fat little fist full back when I first started stamping b/c yk, if M's and HL sold it, it MUST be top notch right? HAHHAHAH
I think I have probably 9 bone folders because I bought several "tool" sets that I "needed"..really how many eyelet setters and bone folders and little hamers can one person NEED? Apparently at least 4 in my experience LOL

Anyway...tell me, what do you purge? What do you keep ? And why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the question, because I am moving my craft room from one room to another in a couple of months, and I really want to have a clear out. I hear you about buying oodles of stuff when you first start out- I have hundreds of decoupage sheets bought when I first started cardmaking, years ago. Now I couldn't tell you when I last made a decoupage picture. Like you I have loads of 'what the hell was I thinking' paper, and that is definitely getting sorted through. Most of it is so awful/dated that I don't even think I could pass it on to anyone I know. Out of embarrassment as much as anything else. :rolleyes: I've kept magazines & mag articles in binders for 'inspiration'. Again, dont know when I last looked at them. I went through the eyelet setter phase too- tried them all, finally settled on the Silent Setter for obvious reasons. The others are still in drawers somewhere.Every time I have a tidy, I find stuff I'd either forgotten about, or don't even remember buying- how terrible is that? I shall be interested to see what others would cull- I do know my stamps, inks & die cutting stuff is safe. I've got folders full of 'freebie' papers etc from magazines- I really have to force myself to use them. I think thats the trouble, stuff gets filed away, and its out of sight, out of mind. And our directions change, now for me its all about stamping, so thats what I'm keeping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got rid of scrapbooking paper that I had not looked at in two years, gave it to my local hospice house that does palliative care too. They were thrilled to receive for a soon to be held scrapbooking event they were going to have, and I was thrilled too be able to help them out too. Now all my un-used (loved) craft items will be given to them. Trying to sell older stamp sets around here is nearly impossible, so I may give those to them too.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do not have a hospice near you donate the paper to your local school. The teachers and kids will love it for projects. I took mine to use in my classroom and when we do something the kids love to use the fancy paper even if it is the ugliest paper in the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Every year I sort thru all my patterned paper and stamps. I give the purged stuff to our daughter to take to the women's shelter where she works.
I avoid getting inundated with paper by avoiding DCWV and other large paper stacks. I don't scrapbook and don't have the space to store them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm constantly purging and reorganizing my space! I participated in a "yard sale" this past summer at a local LSS and got rid of a lot of stuff - sold books/magazines for super cheap (25 cents to $2.00, depending on what it was), sold stamp sets for about one-third of what I paid for them, GAVE away paper (limit of 10 per person), and still made enough to buy what I wanted from others at the sale and go home with some money in my pocket! The next sale won't be until next summer, though, and I can't STAND clutter, so I'm giving stuff away like crazy! I'm too impatient to do the B/S/T forum, and I have a friend who's just starting out (along with one of her daughters), so I let her pick what she wanted out of the pile. The rest is going to a local school and the Boys/Girls Clubs in the area...

I only keep what I know that I will actually use (and I've re-discovered some tools and embellishments that have been dormant for years), and sending the rest out into the flow... Punches and paper trimmers and acrylic blocks and stamps and ink pads and papers and stickers and rub-ons and markers and anything/everything else that's "not my thing" any more are GONE, BABY, GONE!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I subscribe the the ISO forum here. When people post that they are looking for donations, I send them something. I've given away countless stamp sets to SCSers. I just want my used, unwanted items gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I know I have BOXES of DP that I need to sort out and give to the teacher across the street to take to school. She was thrilled when I gave her paper last school year. I probably have stamp sets and some tools to donate, too, that I'll send to From Our Hearts. It's taking over the living room, dressing room, and craft room and DH keeps making "comments" so I need to work away at purging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll tell you what I regret purging, even 10 years later. I had a set of little thumb punches and a fixture to put them in to make borders (a la MS border punches). Into the yard sale they went. BAD move, and I have tons of punches, a manual die cutter AND a cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I decided to do the "I won't buy any new stamping items until I finish 100 projects" challenge. Most of you know this as 100 cards in 100 days. I knew going in that I would never finish my projects in 100 days, but the most important thing in this challenge for me was to stop buying stuff until I used up and or purged my old stuff. Last year I made some Halloween cards and used up all of my orange ribbon and CS and it was a great feeling!

I got rid of the patterned paper I knew I wouldn't use. Some went to my mom and aunt and some I sent off to people in need.

I recently made SU swatch sheets using excel where I have a sample of each card stock color, ink pad and matching ribbon. All the old ink pads and CS I decided I don't like I have put in a box for donation. There must be 15 or 20 sets of them.

I also sorted all my bling into color drawers. I just added my ribbon spools to those. As I was moving the ribbon to its new home I got rid of all the spools that I knew I would not use or just didn't like anymore. I have a parks and rec near my house that specifically asked for ribbon donations, so I will drop my extra off there.

I have put the Quickkutz Revolution machine up for sale on Craig's list, since I bought the Genius platform for my Big Shot and I don’t really need two die cutting machines.

I have a box of stamps that I don't use, but those I will keep until next year, just in case I change my mind.

When purging, I tend to get rid of stuff quickly that I could easily replace and easily forget about. I mean in 6 months am I really going to remember that pink polka dotted ribbon?

But the big stuff, I now always think twice about. I have regretted selling off some of my stamp sets that I thought I would never use, then 2 months later I see an awesome card that I know I could easily make with that stamp set I just got rid of.

I suggest taking the purging thing slow. Get a big box and put the stuff you think you don’t want anymore, but are not sure, in there and store it somewhere for a year. Then when you need something in there you can get it, or if you don’t touch it you know you won’t miss it.

Good luck! I say have fun too, because I love organizing my stuff as much as I love creating with it!!

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 09-23-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ugly paper - first thing to go. Give it away or recycle it and be done with it. Just try to stop repeating the purchase of ugly paper. I think that if you can live up to a vow of not repeating a mistake, then you should be allowed to let it go and not suffer with a bad decision anymore. I tend to get 6 x 6 (some 8 x 8 ) paper but I may even switch to individual 12 x 12 sheets just to avoid overload.

Next - if space is part of the problem, I purge whatever takes up the most space. Definitely purge duplicate items.

Then, what I don't use much of. I don't use much ribbon anymore. I put almost all of it in a box where it sat for a couple of months and I didn't miss it. This weekend, I sold and gave it away at an LSS customer sale. I thought it could be hard to see that lovely rainbow of textures and styles drop into people's shopping bags. . . but I'll get my color and texture fix elsewhere ;). I kept some checked, white, black, ivory, and a few others. Now washi tape. . . well that's another story.

Special consideration: Stamps. I love stamps but honestly there are some that I just never use. Even so, there are still many that I seldom use but so far can't give up! To me, stamps are the most "personal" purchase and the hardest to purge. Most often I let some go because I need space. If I purchase more, it's still less than what I purged.

Good luck with the process ~ I think if you feel your creativity is stifled by all that stuff, you will be thrilled to be rid of it. I know I was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Special consideration: Stamps. I love stamps but honestly there are some that I just never use. Even so, there are still many that I seldom use but so far can't give up! To me, stamps are the most "personal" purchase and the hardest to purge.
I totally agree with this thought! When the collection passed the 600+ sets (plus numerous single stamps), I knew I had to purge at least SOME of them! What I found to be the most telling for me was to actually stamp all of the stamps that I thought I wanted to get rid of. There were quite a few that - surprisingly - I couldn't let go of. The ones that did make it to the donate pile were the ones that I just couldn't envision myself using - ever. I even kept a few of those for purely sentimental reasons. I may never stamp them again, but they conjure up memories of happy times or loved ones who have passed on, and so they stay...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I just did a big purge to move my stamp room. I receive a lot of paper from well meaning family and friends and a lot of it, I don't care for. I donated it to my sister for her kindergarten class as they can always use it, and also for the girl scout troop. They dove right into it making cards and holiday gifts etc. I keep some stamps that I don't use in a tub as I have people always wanting to "borrow" stamps for charity work, or church etc, and I have learned that I don't always get them back, or they get wrecked, so those are the ones I loan out...) I kept my "tools" and "mediums" and have been making cards this weekend with each medium. It is a good for me to use some of the goodies in my collections. I haven't used my gelatos, or my H2O's in awhile... Helps spur me on when they are handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

If you don't love it or feel inspired by it get rid of it. Ugly paper donate it to your favorite charity. Ugly stamps or stamps your not into donate it to your favorite charity. Nine bone folders you don't need that many, lol. I have one. There are some multiple tools I keep like styluses. I know most people wouldn't keep multiples of styluses but I use them to paint with, emboss and nail art.

I know it's so hard to purge. Make this your new craft project. Don't worry about crafting. Purging is your new craft project. It will make you feel more creative. Take fifteen minutes a day or an hour. Don't try to do it in several hours. You will get overwhelmed. Grab a section and be ruthless.

The ruthless mantra's are:
I don't like this.
I have outgrown this.
This does not fit my art lifestyle anymore.

Have boxes, bags, sandwich bags ready. You will want the sandwich bags for small items your donating. Just start decluttering. Pack it all up, throw it in your car and get rid of it ASAP. Do not keep it in your car and get the case of maybe's or guilts.

Your creating a new creative space for you so no maybe's or guilt's.

When you have a new smaller pile you can sort it again. Once it gets smaller it's a lot easier to do.

I used to teach decluttering. Then I went into crafting. I realized the craft room is the hardest room to declutter. That was the one declutter area that threw me. Even a lot of declutter experts will say keep the craft room. I know FlyLady got rid of her craft room. She also went into a new venue called FlyLady so it might not have been as hard for her, lol.

I really researched decluttering a craft room. I went in my craft room and really experimented on the decluttering. This is what I have found for art studios and decluttering. It needs to be decluttered because we grow as artists and crafter's. When we walk in and see a lot of things we don't use any more or is not our style we lose our MoJo.

Here's another decluttering tip I always give out. All that stuff you have is paying free rent in your home. It's getting free utilities too. Clutter is a freeloader.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Giving away ugly paper is a great idea. I, however keep a small box of it to use when I want to experiment with my Cricut. I find it works great to practice first to find proper placement, size etc. It sure saves on the cost of vinyl and "pretty paper" to do a little test run on the ugly paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Before we did our transatlantic move, I donated paper, stickers, embleshments, magazines, and anything else I knew I was never going to use, I took them to a local day centre for the elderly, it was such a treat to hand over the goodies, they were so excited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink WHAT I DO WITH MY UGLY DP

CaUtIoN! bEwArE! IF YOU ARE HELL BENT ON GETTING RID OF YOUR UGLY DP AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHY IT'S TOUGH FOR ME TO PART WITH (at least not all of it anyway) ... FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND SANITY, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS POST! HEEEEEE!

More than once, I did donate 1,000s of sheets of ugly dp because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I felt "brave" on those days. But ... I still have 1,000s of sheets of ugly dp left. I keep at hand, one 13 x 13 x 4" box full of ugly dp which I use to "practice" things like boxes or card folds, etc. before I use the "good stuff." For example, before I had a SU matchbox die I used my ugly dp to practice making them from cut/score/ fold instructions I got off the web. Lucky for me I used my ugly dp because that first night, I made four and each one turned out a little different! Hee! (Hence, justification to buy the die--arrgghh!) I often use the white side (most of my ugly dp is one-sided) on which to "practice" stamp. As in, when I want be sure I have the letters lined up straight on my acrylic block, and before I stamp on my project or die cut, I practice stamp them. I have used Ranger distress paint and/or ink to paint over ugly dp. And on the more neutral shades of ugly dp, I ink them up with distress ink or ink pads (sponging, dragging, swiping on my craft mat and spritzing, then pressing it down or dragging it through, and drying), for backgrounds or to die die cut. Thanks a lot, Tim! If I am trying to design a new sketch w/multiple panels and I want to make sure my measurements are correct, I grab a sheet of ugly dp and make a test run. Saves mistakenly cutting my "good stuff," right? Then again, I could just buy an extra ream of copy paper at Walmart for $4 and call it good. Do I really need a 4' stack of ugly dp taking up space in my paper area? Then again, sometimes an 8.5 x 11 sheet won't do and you need that full 12 x 12 sheet of ugly dp. Hmmmm. 'To de-clutter my ugly dp or to not de-clutter my ugly dp, that is the question.' Heehee!

Last edited by gabalot; 09-26-2012 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a lot of my ugly paper to make envelopes using a template. Of course, this is the one-sided paper. I challenge myself to use the scraps somewhere on the card, but if it
doesn't work, that's ok. I'm also trying to not save every scrap of paper after making a
card. Those one and two inch strips never seem to get used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Default re: Ugly DP

I have a great technique to use up some of that ugly DP if you are having trouble parting with it (because, you know, you spent good money on it, must have liked it to buy it in the first place, insert good excuse here....)

Try a patchwork quilt technique, or a strip technique (no, not one that involves a pole, an audience, and dollar bills!).

I just used up a ton of really ugly Christmas paper that I swear I must have bought back when the Dead Sea was just sick...

I cut 10 sheets up into random strips in varying widths from about 1/8" to 3/4". I cut 12 chipboard tree-shaped triangles, and then randomly stacked the papers onto the shapes until they were covered. Trimmed off the excess, addded brown tree trunks, some Stickles (for garland), and a punched gold star on top, and amazingly these little trees were awesome! Going to do a bunch of ornament shapes tonight.

I think this works because you are only using a very small piece of that ugly DP at any given time, and your project isn't overwhelmed with ugliness! This is also a great technique for using up all those leftovers that you aren't sure whether to keep or throw out.

Now mind you, I would have to make a bazillion trees and ornaments to use up all that paper, but it has taught me that you can really make a beautiful purse out of a sows ear if you think far enough outside the box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I am soooo silly...I buy all these supplies, get home, they goooo in the closet to hide, and are never touched again...I just went through all paper, stamps, embellishments, letters, etc., took them to an elementary school where I live, they were so grateful for everything. I live in Florida, and I know teachers have to buy supplies fro their students, it seems like something is wrong with that statement. Teachers are so under paid, over stressed, if I can give to schools that is my reward to the kids...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

-the envelope idea is a great one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! I guess there are alot of folks just like me with over supply of stamping stuff. I have the over flow in an extra bedroom. I do have a room for crafting. I just finished cutting my 12 x 12 paper into 6 x 6 and feel that will help me to use it more. I creat a give away pile as I come across stuff and give it to Good Will. I have become a collecter instead of a stamper so will commit to you to change that. TFL Jean GBY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I recently gave 6 boxes of stuff from my craftroom to a women's drop-in center and it felt great. I actually went through all my paper and pulled out what I would never use. I do have a small stack of not my thing paper that I do use for envelopes. I've been feeling overwhelmed by the clutter and it is finally getting to the point where I can donate stamps! I have sets where I adore one or two stamps only - I'm breaking up the sets and making it work for me - very liberating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
If you do not have a hospice near you donate the paper to your local school. The teachers and kids will love it for projects. I took mine to use in my classroom and when we do something the kids love to use the fancy paper even if it is the ugliest paper in the world.
I brought paper I didn't want to a grade 2 classroom. The teacher and the kids were thrilled, and I was delighted with how good the paper sometimes looked when used by creative minds who didn't worry about the stuff I do when making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 218 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
If you don't love it or feel inspired by it get rid of it. Ugly paper donate it to your favorite charity. Ugly stamps or stamps your not into donate it to your favorite charity. Nine bone folders you don't need that many, lol. I have one. There are some multiple tools I keep like styluses. I know most people wouldn't keep multiples of styluses but I use them to paint with, emboss and nail art.

I know it's so hard to purge. Make this your new craft project. Don't worry about crafting. Purging is your new craft project. It will make you feel more creative. Take fifteen minutes a day or an hour. Don't try to do it in several hours. You will get overwhelmed. Grab a section and be ruthless.

The ruthless mantra's are:
I don't like this.
I have outgrown this.
This does not fit my art lifestyle anymore.

Have boxes, bags, sandwich bags ready. You will want the sandwich bags for small items your donating. Just start decluttering. Pack it all up, throw it in your car and get rid of it ASAP. Do not keep it in your car and get the case of maybe's or guilts.

Your creating a new creative space for you so no maybe's or guilt's.

When you have a new smaller pile you can sort it again. Once it gets smaller it's a lot easier to do.

I used to teach decluttering. Then I went into crafting. I realized the craft room is the hardest room to declutter. That was the one declutter area that threw me. Even a lot of declutter experts will say keep the craft room. I know FlyLady got rid of her craft room. She also went into a new venue called FlyLady so it might not have been as hard for her, lol.

I really researched decluttering a craft room. I went in my craft room and really experimented on the decluttering. This is what I have found for art studios and decluttering. It needs to be decluttered because we grow as artists and crafter's. When we walk in and see a lot of things we don't use any more or is not our style we lose our MoJo.

Here's another decluttering tip I always give out. All that stuff you have is paying free rent in your home. It's getting free utilities too. Clutter is a freeloader.
DeeAnn, I LOVE your post - it has inspired me! I am going to print out your words of wisdom and I am starting TODAY to tackle my overflowing craft room. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Another place to possibly donate is a nursing home or rehab center. My dad has recently had to move into a nursing home and the ladies that do the activities are amazingly creative. They would love donations of about any craft notions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Last summer I had to SERIOUSLY downsize my stash from 2 large rooms and a big walk in closet to a 10x12 spare bedroom. I gave away TONS of stuff. I had so much of the "latest and greatest" that turned out to be duds! I know a girl who does after school projects with low income, at risk youth, so I gave alot of it to her. She was thrilled! There are lots of people who welcome what we consider "trash"....4-H leaders, scout leaders, head injury centers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
I just used up a ton of really ugly Christmas paper that I swear I must have bought back when the Dead Sea was just sick...
I swear I just did a spit take!
I'm in the middle of a space re-do also (seems to be going around) and have been thinking about purging. I KNOW I'll need to purge some, and it's about time too, but I think I'll wait until I get my space set up before making serious decisions. I volunteer in my son's classroom once a week - so I imagine that paper will be easiest to get rid of! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Thank you everyone for the ideas, encouragement and laughs. I'm about to declutter my craft area because I think I will stamp more with less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I started with paper and ribbon. Donated to the alzheimer's unit, they were thrilled to receive it. That was easy for me. Tools on the other hand, I just can't get rid of, I mean I still have Karen Foster's punch tool, did anyone use it?, notch it from BG, the fastenator. Oh Lord, I do love tools! Good Luck!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't get rid of much. Some old ugly DP I bought back when I didn't know to buy matching papers to help coordinate projects. And some stamps I bought because they were so cute but are outdated or aren't really my style.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
DeeAnn, I LOVE your post - it has inspired me! I am going to print out your words of wisdom and I am starting TODAY to tackle my overflowing craft room. Thank you!
Thank you. You made my evening!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

My sister gave me the most awesome birthday present using old unwanted DP. She made me a binder with all of my SVG files cut out using ugly unwanted DP. On each page, she put the name and location of the file and the cut out. She put them in page protectors to make an awesome reference binder for her totally unorganized sister. This would also be a great idea for a die cuts and embossing folder reference book. It makes it easy for me to quickly chose the pattern I need. A great way to use up unwanted paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley6176View Post
I'm also trying to not save every scrap of paper after making a
card. Those one and two inch strips never seem to get used.
I need to stop saving those small strips too. I have way too many scraps of paper. I think my purging is going to have to be getting rid of those teeny tiny scraps that I insist on saving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Ladies you have inspired me..especially DeeAnn..you always have great wisdom ! I am not feeling great right now ( ear/sinus infection I think ..have a Dr. apt. tomorrow) so I will probably start "Operation Get Rid Of" next week. It is really better for me to break it up into areas of the room..ie..desk..water color desk..closets etc.
Sheepish confession here
I actually purged a TON of stuff earlier this year..but for some reason it got put in the garage instead of being taken somewhere else..and when I found it ..I brought it all back in.( that just proves DeeAnn's point about putting into the car and taking in THEN ) LOL Haven't used it..but for some reason I brought it all back. I think for me getting rid of all this crap makes me realize how much money I have wasted..not spent but wasted. Because if you don't use it, it is a total waste of money. I hate to waste but I think it is time to face facts..I wasted A LOT of money in the begining and now sub-par products that don't fit my "style" are sucking the life out of my mojo. Time to get it gone..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

I use those skinny strips of leftover cardstock/paper to make "ladders". Using double sided adhesive strips, place two/three colors/desihgns of strips horizontally on a 5-1/2 by 2 or 3" adhesive strip, trim and place on your mat piece or directly on card front.

Grandmakathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Loved reading this whole thread! I needed permission to purge, people!! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Ladies you have inspired me..especially DeeAnn..you always have great wisdom ! I am not feeling great right now ( ear/sinus infection I think ..have a Dr. apt. tomorrow) so I will probably start "Operation Get Rid Of" next week. It is really better for me to break it up into areas of the room..ie..desk..water color desk..closets etc.
Sheepish confession here
I actually purged a TON of stuff earlier this year..but for some reason it got put in the garage instead of being taken somewhere else..and when I found it ..I brought it all back in.( that just proves DeeAnn's point about putting into the car and taking in THEN ) LOL Haven't used it..but for some reason I brought it all back. I think for me getting rid of all this crap makes me realize how much money I have wasted..not spent but wasted. Because if you don't use it, it is a total waste of money. I hate to waste but I think it is time to face facts..I wasted A LOT of money in the begining and now sub-par products that don't fit my "style" are sucking the life out of my mojo. Time to get it gone..
Hugs InkinOne! Thank you. If it makes you feel better I have an art studio and then an art desk out in the living room. My DH is house hunting for us right now so he can build a very large art studio for himself. I don't want a long arm quilter in my art studio or a kiln. Yes, I am unreasonable, ROFL!

When my DS moved away my DH said "Quick, take him room and turn it into an art studio before he thinks of moving back!" ROFL! My home is clutter free. I started organizing my craft room. Then I had a panic attack. It was so overwhelming and then I did the simplest thing that changed everything. I picked out curtains. I liked my curtains and I didn't want my pretty curtains to live with all that stuff I outgrew. I have a pretty problem. All my stuff has to be pretty.

I always tell people to never buy storage until your done decluttering. I think with a craft room you can empty it all out and add some pretty curtains or a new lamp and it gives fresh perspective what you really want and how you have grown.

Now, I go through my room every six months and get rid of everything I outgrew. I do still own a lot of things. I do a lot of different crafts. I make my own beauty products. I work in polymer clay. I like to paint. I have a large nail art collection too. DH & I apparently own a yarn store with the amount of yarn we own, ROFL! We like our yarn and we always pulling out new skeins to start something.

I still own a lot of things but it's my personality things. My room is not the room I used to be as an artist. I don't try to buy for the future because this is a trendy hobby and when the future comes something will be better on the market or I outgrew it already.

Money wise my DH gave me wise advice when I was worried about how much everything cost. He told me that it was bought when I enjoyed it and learned from it. I don't enjoy it anymore and I am done learning from it so move on. I give it away to somebody who I know can learn and enjoy it too. I never feel like I wasted any money if I can make somebody happy.

I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

I purge my stamps at least once a year. Our local stamp shop has a used stamp sale. We don't get the money, but can buy new things from the shop with our credit. This year we may not have a sale, so I contacted a friend who stamps. I gave her a large tote of stamps marked for sale and she and her friends have gone through and bought what they want. This time I get the money. I also give paper, stickers and other embellishements, including stamped images, to my cousin who stamps, but doesn't have a lot of things. I like the idea of giving things to schools. I have a 7-year-old grandson who is in first grade. I will call and see if his school would like stamps and paper, etc. Good idea! Now to do something with all the Take Ten and Paper Crafts magazines I've been storing for 10+ years. Hate to give them up, but I get most of my ideas now from SCS. I no longer look at the magazines, so why am I keeping them? Duh! Did get a card in one magazine, so will keep that one.
You have inspired me. Will go through my drawers again and get rid of more. You're right. If I haven't used it, why am I keeping it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah the envelope idea was a good one, except most of my 2 file cabinets of paper is thicker paper or card stock. Not thin paper.
and LindaBabe, what is a thumb punch?
Also, what is an ISO forum?
Reply With Quote Likes