View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #653
mother's daughter
Proud Fan Club Member

Dorothy, so far, mine hasn't been returned.
Being a retired Postal employee I can tell you why, a BIG part of it is the machinery. Oh, I could go on with stories just about what happens to my mail, but I won't bore you. I've had the same address for about 46 or 47 years!

I had the same thing happen when we did the challenge for Lydia's Mom. There was nothing wrong with the address. I put it in a new envelope and resent it.

The machinery will sometimes sort two pieces together, if the top piece is not yours, it will go with that piece. Say that top piece is a forward or ANK (attempted not known). Then when it is resorted as that top piece, it will get that yellow label on it.

The machinery is not perfect. It cannot think. It only does what it is programmed to do. This is where the human touch pays off, though we are not perfect either, but we can think.

If you can find the Joan Lundon piece on the Post Office that was done many years ago, look at the machine closely. These machines sort anywhere from 40k to 42k an hour. The machines that sort your magazines and business envelopes, sort about 14k an hour. This should give you an idea of what these machines do.

To any of you that really have an interest, if you live by a big processing center, ask for a tour. It's really quite remarkable!

I hope this helps you and anyone else that has problems with the Postal Service.

Oh yeah, even though you may write non machineable on your envie, that is not a guarantee that it won't go through the machines. If in doubt, send it in a padded envie. If you took the time to make a nice lumpy bumpy card, pay the extra to get it there in one piece! Even if you have it hand cancelled, that is not a guarantee that it won't go through a machine. My Dh is a mechanic that works on those machines, and you won't believe what he pulls out of them!

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer

Last edited by mother's daughter; 10-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: more info
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!