View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #292
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

I can't help you on pricing, as I'm in Australia! I have read that people in different areas will pay different prices for the same thing, so you'll have to judge what you think your market would cope with. In pricing my items, I do not really charge for my time, unless I want to work for about 2 cents an hour - it is just a hobby! I consider the price of the elements, what a similar item might sell for in a $2-type store, partially the amount of work in it, the 'uniqueness' and/or cuteness of it. What would I be happy to pay for it (and I'm a cheapskate!). As for the number of items, I have way too much, and need to re-consider what I take to sell in future. I may have only a few of something I suspect will not be a big hit (eg baby keepsakes tins), or a couple of dozen of something I hope will be popular. I have about 200 cards plus 800 other items in my current inventory, split over many categories such as magnets, heaps of different post-it note holders, covered notebooks, bottlecap jewellery, decorated candles, bookmarks and more. If you look at kerryspapercrafts.com, you'll see Kerry's lovely products, stall photos and pricing under her Craft Fair category. Consider what you like to make, and are capable of making in whatever time you have before your show. You should also consider whether you think you might commit to future shows, as you may need to buy tablecloths, tables, display racks/baskets, storage boxes, trolleys for moving your goods, etc. I have invested in all these because I'm hoping to do stalls for a few years to come, but it does mean I'm not really "making any money", just recouping some expenses. Do you have a friend or relative to help you (at least for stall days)? It's much more enjoyable with a fellow crafter. Have you found places to sell at? I only started looking in August this year, thinking I had loads of time before christmas, but problems like cost, space, location, insurance requirements, open air facility have reduced the number of markets my friend and I want to do. You should check about the tax/business rules that apply where you are too. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do. I hope you are one of the success stories of the future!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!