Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you explain Framelits?

I just recently bought the Big Kick and have only bought embossing folders. No dies yet. Actually, wasn't even really keen on using dies but I'm kind of interested in buying the October special, with the stamp set, DSP, Framelits and paper piercing set.

I assume you take some DSP, lay the Framelit on top of that and run it through the Big Kick, right? What if you'd like to stamp one of the stamps on white cardstock and cut it out? Can you do it like that?

And I've never used a paper piercing template before. Do you just line the image up with the template and poke away?

Sorry for the stupid questions...

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are not stupid questions! I am a really usual learner do I recommend googling it and watching a video.

But! Yes you can put it on DSP and run it through to cut out the shape. Or you can stamp, line up the framelit and run it through to cut out the stamped shape. You might need to use a bit of post it note to hold the framelit in place when you run your sandwich through.

The piercing template - yep! Just line up and poke away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dies .... what a slippery slope!!!

Just follow the sandwich for your Big Kick and you will be just fine. Because you can see exactly where you will cut and can line up the die with the image, you can definitely stamp first and cut second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

The ladies before me have given you the scoop, but can't you ask your demo (or someone local if she's not) to give you a show & tell? Even if the demo doesn't have the ones you're considering buying, you might find that easiest and the most helpful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

As Pat says, one of the biggest advantages of dies like Framelits is that you can see through the middle so you can see exactly what you're going to get on your finished shape. That means you can use them to select the exact bit of pattern you want if you use them with DSP or you can line up a stamped image to get the placement exactly where you want it within the borders of the die.

If you like the "magic" of cranking the handle and getting textured cardstock out of the Big Kick with your embossing folders I think you'll have fun with dies, too!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Framelits and other open dies - so easy! Closed back dies - another kettle of fish. You have to cut and then stamp. But if you fall in love with a stamp set and the dies for it are closed back, you'll figure out how to get through cutting and THEN stamping. Everyone has their tricks and will be glad to share. My tip: "Oh well, it doesn't have to be perfectly centered to look okay, this is hand stamping after all!" I find this tip to be excellent for my mental health.

I saw something very interesting regarding paper piercing on a YouTube video the other day. I was actually watching it for colored pencil techniques, but the woman used a dark blue Distress Ink on the edges of her CS and when she pierced she did it from the back and then turned the CS over and used one of those fine sanding blocks to sand off the poked in paper and it left a slight white border around the holes.

Perhaps I'm the last person in the paper piercing universe to learn this, but I was impressed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I saw something very interesting regarding paper piercing on a YouTube video the other day. I was actually watching it for colored pencil techniques, but the woman used a dark blue Distress Ink on the edges of her CS and when she pierced she did it from the back and then turned the CS over and used one of those fine sanding blocks to sand off the poked in paper and it left a slight white border around the holes.

Perhaps I'm the last person in the paper piercing universe to learn this, but I was impressed.
Any chance you can give us the link to that Youtube video? You've described the technique well, but (being a visual learner) I'd love to see it being done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

No problem!

Colored Pencil Flowers - YouTube

You'll see the piercing right away when she shows the card at the beginning. Look on the dark blue layer.

Most of the video is about coloring in the flowers but it's only 7 minutes long. The part where she does the piercing is about 4 minutes in, she starts Distress Inking the cardstock she pierces at about 3 min 56 seconds.

So go watch it! Is that not cool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Many thanks for the link, Rachelrose. I love Darlene's videos, but hadn't seen that one. What a great card; the piercing effect is very cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I was also kind of eyeing the stamp set...

But when am I not eyeing a stamp set. I guess when I'm asleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big advantage of Framelits is the 'blade' runs along the edge of the opening. This means that the cut image will be the size of the opening. This makes it easy to line up a Framelits die with a stamped image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case the OP didn't take a look at it, I wanted to point out the the video link posted for the piercing technique conveniently also includes the use of a Framelit! (She doesn't show running it through the BS, but it still might be helpful.) Hero Arts uses the same Sizzix-made dies that SU does.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cailinrileyView Post
Many thanks for the link, Rachelrose. I love Darlene's videos, but hadn't seen that one. What a great card; the piercing effect is very cool!
I also thank you for that link. Had not seen her videos before.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes