Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recollections Cardstock

I know most people on here poo-poo the Recollections cardstock, but I really like it. I haven't been to Michaels in months and I happened to be near Michaels today, so I popped in and they had the Recollections paper on sale. They have a bunch of new colours in their cardstock packs and can I say, I LOVE the new colours. They even had a couple packs of cute Christmas patterned cardstock and some textured. If I had the cash, and more importantly, the room, I think I would buy at least one pack of each colour combo.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of it. I receive it as gifts all the time. I am using some now actually for a Halloween card. I use it for my lightweight cards with no heavy embellishments and it works fine. I got a pack of brights right now and the orange is perfect for what I need. I also use this paper to cut out die cuts as it is easy to cut in both of my machines as well. I do use other heavy weight ones, but for me, no paper gets wasted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my cardstock is the recollections - purchased on sale or with coupon. It works for my layering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I use a heavier card stock for my base, but the Recollections card stock is great for layering and die cutting. Also, the price is great. (Four for $10.00!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't bought their color packs recently but LOVE their Kraft paper. JoAnn's Kraft is too rough and rustic for my style. When I found the Michael's Kraft paper, I was happy. As for their color packs, I use the paper layering because I think it is a little too 'light weight' for a base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't tried it as a base since I usually use white 110#, but I think it would work for light cards. Its the same weight as CTMH cardstock and I know that some people use that for card bases, so I assume the Recollections would work too. I think if I get time today I'm going to give it a try to see how it holds up. It does cut beautifully in the cutting machines and I love it for making flowers. I love the Kraft colour in this cardstock. Its one of the nicest ones I found so far. And I love the brown. Its a really nice cocoa brown. I know last year they had it in single packs, but I've only been able to find it in the colour combo packs lately. I did buy 4 packs of it last year so I have a little bit of those plus some in the new packs I bought yesterday. They have 2 new neutrals combo - a light and dark. There is a dark grey in there that is really really nice. I can see myself making more masculine cards with this one.

Another reason I like the Recollections card stock is the Studio G inks. They match the cardstock and they're cheap. Its pigment ink that actually dries.

Overall, I think they did a nice job revamping the Recollections line.

Last edited by cat_woman; 10-08-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I haven't tried it as a base since I usually use white 110#, but I think it would work for light cards. Its the same weight as CTMH cardstock and I know that some people use that for card bases, so I assume the Recollections would work too. I think if I get time today I'm going to give it a try to see how it holds up. It does cut beautifully in the cutting machines and I love it for making flowers. I love the Kraft colour in this cardstock. Its one of the nicest ones I found so far. And I love the brown. Its a really nice cocoa brown. I know last year they had it in single packs, but I've only been able to find it in the colour combo packs lately. I did buy 4 packs of it last year so I have a little bit of those plus some in the new packs I bought yesterday. They have 2 new neutrals combo - a light and dark. There is a dark grey in there that is really really nice. I can see myself making more masculine cards with this one.

Another reason I like the Recollections card stock is the Studio G inks. They match the cardstock and they're cheap. Its pigment ink that actually dries.

Overall, I think they did a nice job revamping the Recollections line.
You know I'm a big fan of this cardstock, too, Cat. I'm like you and love, love the Kraft. I love the color and the texture. I've used it for card bases, and think it works just fine. I most always make a base and add a card front, so it seems plenty heavy enough for me.

For Christmas gifts I'm making many, many sets of personalized notecards for the gals in my family, using the Kraft. They are turning out great. I bought some more since it was on sale.

And I also got some of the new colors. I really think it's a great bargain, especially on sale, but even at regular price.

Here is a pic of the notecards. I'm personalizing them for each person and making lined envelopes:
Attached Thumbnails
Recollections Cardstock-note-cards-owls-001.jpg   Recollections Cardstock-note-card-owl-envie-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 10-08-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Those are really cute Annette! I should have picked up another pack of Kraft when I was there... I might have to go back. There were a couple other packs that I wanted but resisted. I guess I'll have to donate a few books to make room on my bookshelves for some more paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Lovely notecards Bugga! Love that they are personalized and will have lined envies. They will love them I am sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnieuView Post
Lovely notecards Bugga! Love that they are personalized and will have lined envies. They will love them I am sure.
Thanks, Cat and Winnie. I have a huge extended family, which I'm very greatful for, except at Christmas, lol. Kidding.

But I'm retired and we're on that so-called "fixed" income, so every penny counts. I've decided fixed income means you can't afford to have anything fixed, and just hope everything holds up.

We have 5 grown kids plus spouses, 18 grandkids and 4 greats. Whew! I try to make stuff for all the adults and grown grandchildren, and only buy toys for the little ones. So my Christmas preparations start pretty early.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Bugga, those are adorable! I'm sad now that I didn't pick up the kraft paper when I was at M's today. Even had my husband go with me so we could both use 50% off coupons...gotta love a guy who'll go to Michael's with you on his way to work! LOL I do use Recollections for layering quite a bit and I like it.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Thanks, Cat and Winnie. I have a huge extended family, which I'm very greatful for, except at Christmas, lol. Kidding.

But I'm retired and we're on that so-called "fixed" income, so every penny counts. I've decided fixed income means you can't afford to have anything fixed, and just hope everything holds up.

We have 5 grown kids plus spouses, 18 grandkids and 4 greats. Whew! I try to make stuff for all the adults and grown grandchildren, and only buy toys for the little ones. So my Christmas preparations start pretty early.
Wow, that's a lot of people to get ready for Christmas for! I have a very small family. Hubby and I don't have any children and we don't buy for each other (actually, he doesn't buy for me and I buy for the both of us ) ; he doesn't buy for any of his family; I have one sister, one brother and my mother that I get gift cards for; and I have one niece (only baby in the family) that I was buying for, but she'll be getting a gift card from now on too. The postage to send out gifts was costing more than what the gifts were. I only send about 10 Christmas cards each year, so I can crank those out in a weekend. So I guess, in a way, I can count myself lucky to have such a small family at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really like some of the recollections patterned paper - I like that it is a lighter weight for layering, and it is affordable so I can use it on cards for my card club where everyone is making multiple cards. Some of the christmas patterns they came out with this year are really cute!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
Bugga, those are adorable! I'm sad now that I didn't pick up the kraft paper when I was at M's today. Even had my husband go with me so we could both use 50% off coupons...gotta love a guy who'll go to Michael's with you on his way to work! LOL I do use Recollections for layering quite a bit and I like it.
Thank you. They are super easy and quick. I do the name on my printer on the kraft cardstock, and then just layer it on an ivory base and stamp the little owl. I have some polka dot paper in several colors for lining the envies, so I'm coordinating the owl with those colors. I'm pleased with how they turned out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a lot of their cardstock and print paper! I just do not care for it as a card base, but I use it for die cuts, layers and other things! It is great to use on altered items!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love Recollections. It's my favorite cardstock. Cuts like a dream in my die cutters. I also like it for stamping. The only thing I wish Recollections would do is sale packs of individual black cardstock. I am always running out of black. I like their DP too. They are coming out with some really cut designs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I love Recollections. It's my favorite cardstock. Cuts like a dream in my die cutters. I also like it for stamping. The only thing I wish Recollections would do is sale packs of individual black cardstock. I am always running out of black. I like their DP too. They are coming out with some really cut designs.
They do have packs of black now. I saw them yesterday when I was there. What they had in the store I was in for single colour packs where white, black, ivory, and red. I really like the patterned paper as well. They do have some really pretty designs. I had to stop myself because they had it on sale - 5 sheets for $2. I have sooo much paper to use up and it co-ordinates with all the Bazzill paper I have for scrapbooking.

I made a card tonight and used the ivory as a base and it stands up perfectly fine. Of course, its not like 6 layers with buttons and flowers and bling on it. Its only 3 layers with a bow and a tag. I also cut the tag on my CraftRobo just because it does cut so nice, so I could go with a fancier tag. I can't post a pic right now because its for someone and I want to wait until they get it. I'm going to make some more cards tomorrow using the Recollections cardstock for a base that I'll be able to post to show that it doesn't sag under "normal" conditions (I don't know if its a fair metric to consider myself or the cards I make "normal" :lol: )

Last edited by cat_woman; 10-09-2012 at 12:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

They do have packs of black now. I saw them yesterday when I was there. What they had in the store I was in for single colour packs where white, black, ivory, and red. I really like the patterned paper as well. They do have some really pretty designs. I had to stop myself because they had it on sale - 5 sheets for $2. I have sooo much paper to use up and it co-ordinates with all the Bazzill paper I have for scrapbooking.

I made a card tonight and used the ivory as a base and it stands up perfectly fine. Of course, its not like 6 layers with buttons and flowers and bling on it. Its only 3 layers with a bow and a tag. I also cut the tag on my CraftRobo just because it does cut so nice, so I could go with a fancier tag. I can't post a pic right now because its for someone and I want to wait until they get it. I'm going to make some more cards tomorrow using the Recollections cardstock for a base that I'll be able to post to show that it doesn't sag under "normal" conditions (I don't know if its a fair metric to consider myself or the cards I make "normal" :lol: )
I'm using the Recollections Ivory as the base for the note card sets I'm making. There is just the one layer of Kraft on the front, and I think the cards are plenty substantial.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I love Recollections for my layering, the colours are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I really like the Recollections Kraft paper also!!! I buy quite a bit of it for my 9 yr old daughter to use on her cards but I also use it for layering and small cuts that don't have to be on 'good' card stock. I don't like it for the actual card because it is thinner than some other types.

Love the notecards...so simple and cute!

Visit my blog:
http://shadyhollowdesigns.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I have several pads of Recollections Pattern Paper and Card stock. They some really nice colors and designs. It's hard for me to resist. I normally use something heavier for the base of cards, but love it for layering. I use it mostly for scrap booking and altered projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the Recollections cardstock...and the colors are lovely..It is on sale this week at 4 for $10.00 so I am going to be getting several packages. I love love love the coral and grays package...and the fall colors package and black....!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH..The Recollections papers but just beautifully with the Silhouette Cameo! Just saying....lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Oh, that makes me so happy! Thank you for letting me know. I needed black cardstock a couple of weeks ago. My DH & I spent fifteen minutes looking for a pack of individual black when we were at Michael's. I did find a nice pack of individual black at WalMart. It was not Recollections though. It was 65lb weight and acid free. I found it in the office supply section.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up On Salel ___WOW

Great price and yes I do use it to layer onto white card ---- nice to know that it works well with the cricut. I think SU and CTMH (my usual papers) are both heavier 000 so this would be easier on the blade I guess.

TIA
SharonK_Crystal

++++++++==
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I love the Recollections cardstock...and the colors are lovely..It is on sale this week at 4 for $10.00 so I am going to be getting several packages. I love love love the coral and grays package...and the fall colors package and black....!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by skkirtsView Post
Great price and yes I do use it to layer onto white card ---- nice to know that it works well with the cricut. I think SU and CTMH (my usual papers) are both heavier 000 so this would be easier on the blade I guess.

TIA
SharonK_Crystal

++++++++==
SU cardstock is 80# and CTMH is 65#, so the Recollections is the same weight as CTMH. Here are some cards I made yesterday using almost all Recollections cardstock. The images & sentiments are on Wausau 65# from Walmart, but all the other cardstock - including the base - is Recollections. As you can see the cards are standing up just as well as when I use my 200# cardstock. I'll have to do another test with a tent-style card to see how well it stands up. Here's the link: Breast Cancer Awareness Cards by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got 12 packages today and the black actually rang up at 2.39...only a few cents less but those cents do add up.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I was in Tuesday Morning`s yesterday They have a lot of envelopes and card stock by
that company envelopes were 79 cents for 10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhaunView Post
I was in Tuesday Morning`s yesterday They have a lot of envelopes and card stock by
that company envelopes were 79 cents for 10
I haven't used those yet, but they do look cute with the matching base & envie. I usually use white, so I just buy in bulk. I may buy a pack or two to use for my Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been using Recollections cardstock for my bases for a long time. I usually do only 3 layers and no heavy embellishments and they hold up just fine. I really like the kraft and the black, just used the black for the bases of all my Halloween cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I went to my Michael's today for black cardstock. I was so excited I can get single packages of it now. I never can keep black cardstock in my stash for very long. I looked all over that !@$%^& store for black cardstock. Noooo, my Michael's doesn't carry black cardstock in single packages. My Michael's is mean.

My Michael's store has always been like that. When the Slice Elite came out my store never got any in even though the Slice sold better at that store than the Cricut.

I am mad at Michael's right now, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I went to my Michael's today for black cardstock. I was so excited I can get single packages of it now. I never can keep black cardstock in my stash for very long. I looked all over that !@$%^& store for black cardstock. Noooo, my Michael's doesn't carry black cardstock in single packages. My Michael's is mean.

My Michael's store has always been like that. When the Slice Elite came out my store never got any in even though the Slice sold better at that store than the Cricut.

I am mad at Michael's right now, lol.
Awww that sucks... If I lived closer I would give you a pack of mine or go get you some....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

My Michaels is mean.
Mine is like that too! It's a very small store and it takes months to get in new stock or restock the shelves. I'd be mighty surprised if they had the new colors in now. I wanted black a while back and refused to buy it in a variety pack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Awww that sucks... If I lived closer I would give you a pack of mine or go get you some....
Oh, thank you for the sweet thought. That made me smile. Hugs to you.

Reply With Quote Likes