Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intricate Spellbinder Die Cutting

I am breathing into a paper bag as I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my Spellbinder Lattice Die to cut perfectly. After running it 4x through my Cuttlebug, then 6x through my Grand Caliber, then 4x through my Wizard, still the center of the die did not cut. I have changed mats and plates til the cows came home. I have shimmed and used wax paper til my waste basket is flooding over with scraps. Does anybody out there in card land know what can be done to get these to cut or should I send them back? With this new order I also got a simple little die with tremendously intricate detail that cut like a charm. Has Spellbinders gone cheap on their dies? The little ridges don't look very deep but otherwise they look normal. Thanks gals for all your sane help. There are projects that are waiting for this beautiful die to be used in.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Spellbinders on this. I have the new fancy lattice and it cuts perfectly with my Grand Caliber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Try putting paper shim only under the part that does not cut, then if it still does not cut rotate the die a little and try again. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I wonder if your cb plates are very bowed and not getting even pressure in the centre.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the replies ladies. And yes I have shimmed and changed plates on each machine in fifteen different ways to no avail. Gonna ring up Spellbinders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottiejdavisView Post
Thanks for the replies ladies. And yes I have shimmed and changed plates on each machine in fifteen different ways to no avail. Gonna ring up Spellbinders.
Let us know how it turns out. I think you tried everything & yes I would call Spellbinders & hopefully they will send you another die. If that's what they do, then let us know how you make out with the new die. I'd like to get one of those dies but if there's a problem with it then I won't bother getting it. Good luck!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Intricate Spellbinders Die Cutting

Quote:

Okay, at the risk of feeling stupid i have to ask again ...What did you shim?
Have you been shimming the "whole" die over and over, or did you try what i suggested and only shim the very centre.

This makes a big difference and its what i do when this happens to me and it works . I have posted here before, i was told that many people overshim their pieces by shimming the whole piece over and over, when only the piece that is not cutting should getting the extra shim.

If you did try this tip then i apologize, but i had to ask as its a good tip that hasnt failed me with memory box or any of those intricate little beasts.Its very frustrating, and i hope you get results one way or another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a metal plate for all my intricate dies and it works like a charm.

Big Shot Adaptor Plate - Cheery Lynn Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Okay, at the risk of feeling stupid i have to ask again ...What did you shim?
Have you been shimming the "whole" die over and over, or did you try what i suggested and only shim the very centre.

This makes a big difference and its what i do when this happens to me and it works . I have posted here before, i was told that many people overshim their pieces by shimming the whole piece over and over, when only the piece that is not cutting should getting the extra shim.

If you did try this tip then i apologize, but i had to ask as its a good tip that hasnt failed me with memory box or any of those intricate little beasts.Its very frustrating, and i hope you get results one way or another.

Thanks for your heartfelt concern over how I am trying to accomplish a simple little die cut. I just went in and shimmed just the center of the die. First though I ran it through with new plates...2x. Nothing. Then I ran it through with the shim as you suggested and was surprised to see just a teeny weeny bit of the markings. Added another shim...the center "took" a little more but there was nothing on all the edges. Good grief. I'm done and Spellbinder is getting these back hopefully with ones back that work with one or two swipes. Thanks again for caring to write.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

I have to ask ... do you know if there are metal plates for the Cuttlebug? Or the Grand Caliber? I've never seen ones for these machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have to ask ... do you know if there are metal plates for the Cuttlebug? Or the Grand Caliber? I've never seen ones for these machines.
I have a cuttlebug & bought the PTI metal plate & it works fine in my bug.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a metal from Memory Box, I think. It fits in the Cuttlebug.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 10-13-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry a word was missing from my previous post.

I have a metal plate/sheet from Memory Box that can be used with thin metal dies that have problem areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a SU die that is like that. I have shimmed the die using masking tape on the areas that do not cut. In some areas I have about 4 layers of tape. This seems to help. Not sure about the Spellbinder dies though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Friends! What a great conversation! There are LOTS of great tips in there! The shim is always your first go to. In addition... As weird as it sounds... put your die off to the side of your plate rather than in the center when you run it through your Grand Calibur. We can absolutely replace this die as well. It could be faulty. It happens from time to time! We want you all to be satisfied with your finished product. Thanks so much for the great conversation happening in here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I once had a fleur de lis die from Spellbinders that was not working right. I tried everything. Spellbinders stood behind their product and sent me a new one! I love my Spellbinder dies! All 30+ sets of them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Just a quick note. The shims are identical to roof flashing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
Just a quick note. The shims are identical to roof flashing.
I just got the greatest kick out of the resources mentioned here-roof flashing! Who wooda thunk! I am so proud of you ladies and all you come up with to same a dime and creativity in this craft. Thanks Kelly for your input here! I love the Spellbinder dies and want them to work the best, too. Maybe the manufacturer can increase the die depth so the dies do work better in the future for all us crafters.
I did purchase a Cuttlebug metal plate and ran that through with success!! Had to run it through maybe 2-3 times til it all cut. Oozak replaced one of my lattice dies already but haven't tested it yet. I hate to see them mailing these things back and forth...with all the postage and all. So, anyway, we are a go here with the metal plate being the answer. I did notice however that now my Cuttlebug is not cutting as well because I think I shimmed those dies so much it may have warped it or something. Not good, but that's for a different day. I still have my handy dandy Grand Caliber.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 10-20-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks for your heartfelt concern over how I am trying to accomplish a simple little die cut. I just went in and shimmed just the center of the die. First though I ran it through with new plates...2x. Nothing. Then I ran it through with the shim as you suggested and was surprised to see just a teeny weeny bit of the markings. Added another shim...the center "took" a little more but there was nothing on all the edges. Good grief. I'm done and Spellbinder is getting these back hopefully with ones back that work with one or two swipes. Thanks again for caring to write.
I don't know if this is way too late to reply but I just came across the thread. The Lattice dies are not meant to cut at the edges at all...just the lattice pattern..then you trim or die cut the shape you like. Here is a video that may help. Scrap Time Videos - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Default Not cutting

I have all but given up on them too. NONE of my intricate dies cut on my cuttlebug and I have tried all the methods above (except roof flashing!) I have a whole lot of money in a lot of spellbinders dies that are sitting and doing nothing :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilewView Post
I have all but given up on them too. NONE of my intricate dies cut on my cuttlebug and I have tried all the methods above (except roof flashing!) I have a whole lot of money in a lot of spellbinders dies that are sitting and doing nothing :confused:
Don't give up! The Cuttlebug, they told me, was never made to cut such dies. But the metal plate changed the game plan. It does work after a few swipes. I hate to say it but Spellbinders are the only intricate dies I have trouble with as the others may be a smidgen deeper cut. I really think they need to improve on the quality of these dies or I just don't think I will buy any more. Too much trouble when you're in the grove of trying to make a project. As I look at them I don't see why it would be a problem in doing that. It just takes a thicker piece of metal to start with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh Hun please don't get discouraged. Here is how I use my roof flashing to get them cut.
Bottom plate.
Paper I'm cutting.
Die face down on paper.
Piece of roof flashing.
Paper shim if needed.
Top plate.
I usually run it through twice before I pick the whole sandwich up gently, turn it over to see how it's cutting, adjust the shims if necessary, and run it through a couple more times.
I spent the money for the metal plate and was very upset when I got it out of the package. All it was is roof flashing. Needless to say when the time came to replace it I went into my shed and cut a piece off a roll I had out there. I saved myself $4 plus the gas for the 30 mile round trip to town, and it works the same. I really couldn't beat it.
I really hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing to consider is that it will be difficult for any company to develop a die that will work perfectly in every machine. I have close to 100 dies from multiple companies and 2 Big Shots so I get a variety of results.

The older BS is much looser than the new one. In the new machine the paper will be stuck in the die and cuts without my metal plate on several of the dies. When using the older machine I always need the metal plate. Depending on the age of BS or Bug or what ever your machine may be, over time their performance is going to change and that means that you may have to modify what works for you.

I do notice that some dies have a sharper edge like Nestabilities where as other dies, the cutting is a little rounded but I don't see much difference in the cutting ability. I'm not sure I would want a deeper cutting because I would probably have to dig the paper out of the die.

Also, the plastic plates get thinner over time, may have curves in them, etc. I put one of my old, old, old plates next to a brand new set and the new set is a little thicker.

I know we want every tool to work every single time but unless the die is damaged or poorly designed, I don't think we will ever see, nor should expect perfection considering all the variables. I try to think of dies and machines like I think about ink and paper combinations. What will work on glossy paper, what to use when watercoloring, etc.

I've been lucky not to have bought a damaged die, so far. Don't give up on dies, just listen and use all the wonderful advice here on SCS so you can enhance your creativity. Mainly, get a metal plate that will probably solve most of your problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 244 Likes on 184 Posts
Smile Metal Adaptor Plate- use Tape for Edges!

I just got mine today- and immediately encased all 4 edges in clear wrapping tape as it's really sharp! Can't wait to use it with my more detailed dies in my Big Shot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I got the plate and taped it to a spare clear cutting plate which I use exclusively for thin dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Default basic lattice not working for me either

I can tell when I received this lattice die that someone had already tried using it with the cuts on the side of the plastic and the scotch tape over the cut area. I pulled out a brand new set of clear die plates and this basic lattice die will not cut. I have cut MANY kinds of dies and never had a problem. I'm very upset too. Any words of wisdom out there.

UPDATE: OK...pulled out the metal shim and it worked. I need the jaws of life to roll it through my Big Shot but got it through without breaking my Big Shot and it worked. However, I love your ideas of the roof flashing. When this metal shim gets warn, I'll go buy some roof flashing.

Last edited by Celybeach; 02-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Update and problem solved
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cuttlebug and Sizzix Large Doiley Die

Hi everyone, I know this has been done to death but rather than trawl through the hundreds of posts (and I did search but I didn't get far), I bought the SU Sizzix Large Doiley Die last year, tried it a couple of times in the Cuttlebug, no luck. I decided to try right now but am not 100% sure of the sandwich I should use. Bearing in mind that I killed a practically brand new CB a year or so back when I was just figuring dies out! So I am terrified of breaking this new one trying to shove the wrong sandwich through.

Would really appreciate your patience in telling me the best sandwich to try in the CB, or pointing me to the post that is bound to be here somewhere! I am soooo disappointed that I can't use that lovely big doiley!

I think you are all fabulous the ideas and suggestions you come up with, has helped loads of times for other things.

Thanks,
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes