Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect rectangles

Have searched all previous posts and threads and am hoping to find advice on how to make absolutely perfect rectangles, of all sizes, for my cards. IMHO, nothing spoils the effect of a wonderfully created card more then a rectangle that is not perfectly executed.Thanks so much in advance !
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use my Making Memories Precision Paper Trimmer to make my rectangles, and they look pretty good to me if I line up the paper correctly and hold it firmly when I cut.

If you don't want to use a paper trimmer, you might check out this new series of dies by Spellbinders for perfect rectangles:

A-2 Matting Basics A

A-2 Matting Basics B

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I would say try sizzix for some framelits or spellbinders. OR Kiwi lane designs have some "photo mat" sets that have the sizes on them. Very inexpensive too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't tried this tool yet but it sure looks easy - it helps create squares and rectangles:
I put it on my wish list.

PERFECT SQUARES - Perfect Paper Crafting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh the spellbinders Matting Basics are fabulous!! I use them now all the time....!!

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Perfect Layers system. I find that it works very well. Before I had it, I used a quilters ruler/square and a craft knife and get the same effect for less money. With either one of these, the key to good layers is a sharp craft knife blade. Good luck in finding something that works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly440View Post
I haven't tried this tool yet but it sure looks easy - it helps create squares and rectangles:
I put it on my wish list.

PERFECT SQUARES - Perfect Paper Crafting
Yes, lots of folks swear by this tool. However, each layer you cut depends on the preceding layer. So if your first rectangle was not perfectly square, the others would be slightly off as well. Also, I am craft knife challenged, so I know I would have problems with this.

I'm not super particular about this kind of thing, and as I said, I just use my paper trimmer to make all my mats and layers. I'm one of those "lucky" people who have what they call a "good eye" and can line things up straight. It comes in handy when you are sewing a seam, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all the sets of Evo Templates...It is such a shame that Evolving Images closed their doors, their acrylic templates are the best...Maybe you could find some on ebay?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Perfect Layers as well and I find it indispensable for what I do. I have a very nice set of rectangle dies from MFT, but they don't always give me exactly the size I want. Yes, you do start with a rectangle and then work outward, but you do not have to permanently glue your layers down. I often start with a rectangle, Dotto it onto cardstock and use my perfect layers to make another one a specific size bigger and then separate them. You can make any size you want.

And of course Spellbinders has plain rectangles in both the classic large and classic small, so if you get both sets you are getting rectangles in ever increasing 1/8 inch increments from 3/4 X 3/8 up to 3 and 3/4 X 2 and 7/8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Bugga on this one. I use my cutter - and actually, it has to be a CORRECT cutter - I have a Fiskars that I use that is much better than my Carl. Sometimes they are close to perfect - and I am not a perfectionist so close works for me (usually)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I'm with Bugga on this one. I use my cutter - and actually, it has to be a CORRECT cutter - I have a Fiskars that I use that is much better than my Carl. Sometimes they are close to perfect - and I am not a perfectionist so close works for me (usually)
After reading the original post I started to wonder how imperfect my rectangles are because I haven't noticed I have an issue with my fiskars cutter. I just measure down 1/8 to 1/4 from the last mat (ex for a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 card I cut the mat to 5 1/2 x 4" and I'll get a 1/8" border on all sides when I glue it down. I don't think I'd buy another tool for this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

There is a lot of 31 Evo Templates on e-bay right now as a buy it now for $19.99 + $6.00 shipping. They are rectangles, octagons, ovals & frames. If I didn't need to save my crafting money to buy supplies for Christmas gifts, I would be deeply tempted since I always seem just a smidge off using my trimmer to cut cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #13  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
After reading the original post I started to wonder how imperfect my rectangles are because I haven't noticed I have an issue with my fiskars cutter. I just measure down 1/8 to 1/4 from the last mat (ex for a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 card I cut the mat to 5 1/2 x 4" and I'll get a 1/8" border on all sides when I glue it down. I don't think I'd buy another tool for this.

Thank you for this!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
This is how I do my layers, too. I just size down 1/4" on measurement, which gives you a 1/8" border all around. I usually jot down the measurements on a scrap to remind me, just in case, lol. Remember the carpenter's rule: measure twice, cut once!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I usually just go by how it looks & eyeball it. Something Bugga said caught my eye, I did a lot of sewing when I was younger, so maybe that has something to do with visualizing it...I never thought of that before.

That said, I like the Spellbinders dies. I like the look of the diecuts instead of the plain flat edge, just as a change sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I just wanted to add how much I LOVE my bone folder. I can't overstate how important it is to give a perfect crease to the card. It really helps make that rectangle perfect, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I use my Making Memories Precision Paper Trimmer to make my rectangles, and they look pretty good to me if I line up the paper correctly and hold it firmly when I cut.

If you don't want to use a paper trimmer, you might check out this new series of dies by Spellbinders for perfect rectangles:

A-2 Matting Basics A

A-2 Matting Basics B
I have these and love them. I thought it might be a waste of $$$ but nope, they are wonderful.

I have the Perfect Layers system and I still seem to not be able to cut them straight and I wasted more paper than with the matting basics. What is excellent about the matting basics is if you want to cut frames you layer two dies and cut a once for a perfect frame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

A-2 Matting Basics A

A-2 Matting Basics B
How are these new Spellbinders different from the original classic rectangles?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I use my Fiskers paper trimmer. Not only can I get the standard 1/8" or 1/4" border, I can get just a tiny edge showing or any size I want. If course I have loved fractions since I was a kid, so the figuring process is fun for me. I can also "eyeball" it and take off slightly more and more until it is just right. I think people that have trouble with their trimmer are probably pulling or pushing the blade away from the edge of the trimmer which causes the paper to go wonky a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by hskellyView Post
I took a look at them and on first glance it seems to me that, unlike the classic rectangles which increase in size proportionately, the Matting Basics don't. If you look at the A set you can see what I mean.

A-2 Matting Basics A

Ideally, I guess you would want both sets of the Matting Basics and both of the Classic Rectangles if you want to be able to cut most of your rectangles with your die cut machine.

It seems like a lot of money to spend when you can use a cutter to cut whatever size rectangle you want. So my question is: Why would I want to have them? Maybe someone who has them can answer both our questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I took a look at them and on first glance it seems to me that, unlike the classic rectangles which increase in size proportionately, the Matting Basics don't. If you look at the A set you can see what I mean.

A-2 Matting Basics A

Ideally, I guess you would want both sets of the Matting Basics and both of the Classic Rectangles if you want to be able to cut most of your rectangles with your die cut machine.

It seems like a lot of money to spend when you can use a cutter to cut whatever size rectangle you want. So my question is: Why would I want to have them? Maybe someone who has them can answer both our questions.

I have sets A & B and I'm not sorry that I have them. Yes, I can easily cut the layers with my trimmer, but not perfect every single time especially when making 1/8" cuts. Also, I find it annoying to cut frames and I really prefer frames over layering. Having both sets of mats gives me a wide range of frame options.

I can't say that everyone should run out a get the sets, but for me, they are well worth the money because they are something that actually works like expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggetteView Post
Oh the spellbinders Matting Basics are fabulous!! I use them now all the time....!!
Bonnie, do I need to get both sets or is one enough? Do they work with the classic rectangles? I like the 1/4 inch borders on my cards most of the time.thanks in advance Marge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If I want perfect mats using Spellbinders rectangles I just run my rectangle through again shifting the paper further down which cuts off a small sliver. I use tape to keep the paper in straight. But most of the time I use my Guillotine cutter which always cuts a perfectly straight line. As long as I align the paper using the grid, I always get perfectly straight cuts and perfect rectangles. For cuts less than 2", the guillotine cutter guard blocks that area and there are no measurements less than 1", I use a Martha Stewart cutter which I find cuts pretty straight.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post

A-2 Matting Basics A

The way I understand it is that these are sized to go with a regular 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card so that you will have an even border all the way around if you center the rectangle on the card front. In other words, they are proportioned in the same way as the card. The regular rectangular nestabilities are not proportioned the same and don't leave even borders on all 4 sides when centered on a card. Clear as mud?!?

The other advantage is that you can emboss and/or sponge along the edge of the die for an added touch. Can you tell I'd like to have these? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hskellyView Post
The matting Basics A2 line of dies are made at the perfect scale of the A2 card. Whereas the Rectangles are a great rectangle, but are not to scale of the entire card.

I wanted too mention that I bought the Perfect Layers tool after reading a thread here on SCS and am horribly disappointed. I also bought a brand new craft knife. Here is my problem. The cardstock edge has a slight "lip" or "edge" to it when I cut with my knife. Unlike with a paper trimmer which cuts perfectly smooth. ALSO, I find it impossible to cut a straight line. I don't know if I am just lame at it, or if the tool moves or what, but I quickly put the Perfect Layers tool away after just one afternoon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
The way I understand it is that these are sized to go with a regular 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card so that you will have an even border all the way around if you center the rectangle on the card front. In other words, they are proportioned in the same way as the card. The regular rectangular nestabilities are not proportioned the same and don't leave even borders on all 4 sides when centered on a card. Clear as mud?!?

The other advantage is that you can emboss and/or sponge along the edge of the die for an added touch. Can you tell I'd like to have these? ;)
Ha! What she said! We were typing at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParishnurseView Post
Bonnie, do I need to get both sets or is one enough? Do they work with the classic rectangles? I like the 1/4 inch borders on my cards most of the time.thanks in advance Marge
If you want the option of layering at the 1/8" increment, you will need both sets. If you are OK with the 1/4", you are good with the one set. And, no they don't coordinate with the classic rectangles. They are a "wider" rectangle if that makes sense. The scale is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

You will not regret getting both of the new sets of card creator dies. I have them both and they are FAB!!! These 2 sets take all the guess work out of cutting and layering. Get them...you won't be sorry. Watch the spellbinder videos on these two sets.
Nestabilities
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another vote for the Spellbinders matting basics A & B. They are just wonderful to use...love perfect layers!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
I wanted too mention that I bought the Perfect Layers tool after reading a thread here on SCS and am horribly disappointed. I also bought a brand new craft knife. Here is my problem. The cardstock edge has a slight "lip" or "edge" to it when I cut with my knife.
I, too, do not like the curled cut edge produced by an X-acto knife when using with a quilter's ruler to cut evenly all around a layer mounted on a piece of contrasting cardstock.

I much prefer using my Fiskars rotary hand cutter, with plain or deckle blade. To keep the ruler from slipping I have put on several Leaf-Its by Sailor, which I originally bought from Evolving Images to use with their templates.

Since they are actually traction finger dots used by hand quilters, they may be available wherever quilting supplies are sold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
I wanted too mention that I bought the Perfect Layers tool after reading a thread here on SCS and am horribly disappointed. I also bought a brand new craft knife. Here is my problem. The cardstock edge has a slight "lip" or "edge" to it when I cut with my knife. Unlike with a paper trimmer which cuts perfectly smooth. ALSO, I find it impossible to cut a straight line. I don't know if I am just lame at it, or if the tool moves or what, but I quickly put the Perfect Layers tool away after just one afternoon!
If I'm understanding correctly what you mean by "lip or edge" I just run my bone folder along the edge of the cardstock after it's cut. Flattens out the edge just fine. I also have that problem with some paper trimmers. HTH.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Oh I so agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I just wanted to add how much I LOVE my bone folder. I can't overstate how important it is to give a perfect crease to the card. It really helps make that rectangle perfect, in my opinion.
I score every card I make with a Scor-Pal and then use my bone folder. If you hold your bone folder flat it will not make a mark on your cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
If I'm understanding correctly what you mean by "lip or edge" I just run my bone folder along the edge of the cardstock after it's cut. Flattens out the edge just fine. I also have that problem with some paper trimmers. HTH.
Dea
Good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I never thought about that cut edge lip thing, Michelle, but now that you've said it, I will! So thank you, Dea, for providing a solution, since I do own and use Perfect Layers.

But I also use Nesties for layered rectangles (and squares). It really depends on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Reply With Quote Likes