Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Silhouette Cameo

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy a Silhouette Cameo? I�ve finally decided to purchase a cutting machine and would really appreciate any recommendations anyone would have.

Also, what (if any) extra attachments/supplies should I purchase to go with the Silhouette Cameo? Would it be a good idea to buy an extra blade? Do they wear out quickly?

Thanks in advance! I greatly appreciate it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

The TwoPeas girls always have the best info for Silhouette Cameo deals. I bought mine at Overstock. I heard a lot of Amazon Prime members finding good deals using their membership. OhMyCrafts always has decent prices but apparently they are having some shipment issue last I heard.

I would buy an extra blade and an extra mat. Other things you will want to get-

Spatula to remove your die cuts from the mat. You can buy one made for die cutters. The best ones are art paint palette knives or the cake decorating knives.

Dental Pick or a tool like it so you can remove the intricate pieces off your mat without damaging the designs. This is good for lthe lace patterns that are popular right now. I use a dental pick and an awl.

Baby Wipes to clean your mat.

QuiltBastingSpray to make your mats tacky again when they start losing their stickiness.

Gift card to scrape the paper bits left over when you remove your design. A ruler also works well for large areas.

Glue Pen to adhre your detailed images. Die cutting girls like the Xyron 150 (X) also. You can also use a toothpick with Aleene's tacky glue.

A small pair of cuticle scissors or trimmer to snip those tiny pieces that don't get cut. It happens with all the machines on certain cuts.

Reverse Action Tweezers to lay your cuts down on your paper. Trust me on this one it's a lifesaver.

I learned this great tip the other day to align your cuts perfectly- Magic Mesh as “transfer film” for paper projects � Clever Someday.

Those are the items I keep in my die cutting tool arsenal. Congrats on your Cameo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon has a starter kit package with an extra blade and cutting sheet and other goodies. Free shipping. I thought that package was cheaper than other sites were selling just the basic machine. There is a chart with what is included in different packages in the detailed description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunderMifflinView Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy a Silhouette Cameo? I�ve finally decided to purchase a cutting machine and would really appreciate any recommendations anyone would have.

Also, what (if any) extra attachments/supplies should I purchase to go with the Silhouette Cameo? Would it be a good idea to buy an extra blade? Do they wear out quickly?

Thanks in advance! I greatly appreciate it!
This is an amazing price at Amazon. I paid $269 for mine at OhMyCrafts but I had to buy an extra mat myself and an extra blade.

Amazon.com: Silhouette Cameo Starter Kit Bundle Cutter: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
The TwoPeas girls always have the best info for Silhouette Cameo deals. I bought mine at Overstock. I heard a lot of Amazon Prime members finding good deals using their membership. OhMyCrafts always has decent prices but apparently they are having some shipment issue last I heard.

I would buy an extra blade and an extra mat. Other things you will want to get-

Spatula to remove your die cuts from the mat. You can buy one made for die cutters. The best ones are art paint palette knives or the cake decorating knives.

Dental Pick or a tool like it so you can remove the intricate pieces off your mat without damaging the designs. This is good for lthe lace patterns that are popular right now. I use a dental pick and an awl.

Baby Wipes to clean your mat.

QuiltBastingSpray to make your mats tacky again when they start losing their stickiness.

Gift card to scrape the paper bits left over when you remove your design. A ruler also works well for large areas.

Glue Pen to adhre your detailed images. Die cutting girls like the Xyron 150 (X) also. You can also use a toothpick with Aleene's tacky glue.

A small pair of cuticle scissors or trimmer to snip those tiny pieces that don't get cut. It happens with all the machines on certain cuts.

Reverse Action Tweezers to lay your cuts down on your paper. Trust me on this one it's a lifesaver.

I learned this great tip the other day to align your cuts perfectly- Magic Mesh as �transfer film� for paper projects � Clever Someday.

Those are the items I keep in my die cutting tool arsenal. Congrats on your Cameo.
This is a great idea! I so needed this. TFP!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

DeeAnn, thanks for the great tips. I don't own one at this time but I ever do purchase one these tips will come in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I got mine at Custom Crops(Custom Crops) a while back. They have great sales around Black Friday-- usually a Pink Tuesday sale before then Definitely buy an extra mat or two and a blade. I find that when it is time to get both you will definitely notice and be glad you have some on hand Enjoy it- I absolutely love mine and check out Jessica Sprague--Kerri Bradford has a great series of classes on all the things you can do with your silhouette and they are very reasonably priced! Silhouette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great information that I don't want to be without, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

WOW�thanks for the great responses! I really appreciate everyone sharing all this information! Sifting thru Google search results for the best price on the Cameo has been overwhelming and it helps to get feedback here.

My goal is to buy the Cameo tonight. Hopefully (though I don�t know how realistic this is) it will arrive later this week and in time for me to make a few Halloween cards. That assumes of course that I will be able to pick it up relatively quickly. I like to think I�m somewhat adept with computers so maybe the learning curve won�t be that great.

Here�s another �newbie� question if everyone doesn�t mind. From the research I�ve done, it is my understanding that there is a more deluxe version of the software for the Cameo. Is this something that is worth purchasing? Or is the software that comes with it sufficient?

Alternatively, is there other software by a different manufacturer that anyone would recommend?

Lastly, were any of you torn between the Cameo and another machine? I�ve done some basic research on alternatives but I have definitely read more about the Cameo and think it will be the best fit for what I will be doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

you can get them at Color Me Creative too - $269 - and then 20% off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

There is a 25% off one item coupon code: FALL25 at addictedtorubberstamps.com. Plus it would ship for free since it is over $75.
Reply With Quote Likes