View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #48
lylacfey
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl984 View Post
I don't think you are correct about felt. I have a cut file from Silhouette's store that is made for cutting felt to make a coffee to go cup cozy. So I am assuming it would cut felt. I've not tried it yet, but I am guessing the person or company that is selling that cut file on their site has successfully cut felt.
You piqued my curiosity. I looked up tutorials for felt.

This lady actually did cut felt with her Cameo. She had to finish the project using scissors- Cutting Felt with a Die-Cutting Machine:. By the picture it does look like she used regular craft felt.

Here's another felt project from a different blogger- SewNso's Sewing Journal: Sewing with Silhouette Cameo. Her project came out a lot better. She used a higher quality felt.

I also went to Silhouette America's official FAQ to get the low down on felt. I wanted to know if they changed it. When I write what materials these machines can cut I always check the official FAQ so I don't blow up machines. With so many customers trying different materials with the Cameo now I wondered if Silhouette revised it.

Here's the FAQ- Silhouette Support

This is the answer to the felt question-

"What materials can the Silhouette cut?"
The Silhouette is designed to cut film materials (such as vinyl), paper and cardstock materials (up to 90 lb weight). It has a cutting force of 210gf. The Cameo includes a blade that will be able to extend to approximately 1 mm in depth to accommodate thicker media types. However, there is still a limitation depending on the media type's density and make up. Certain materials that are overly dense, such as thin metals, for example, would not be able to be cut and would impair the blade. Certain materials that have abrasive natures, such as chipboard or sandpaper would also impair the blade or dull it very quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, certain fibrous materials may not be able to be held together densely enough to be successfully cut by a blade-driven cutting device, such as felt or handmade paper. So while the Cameo is able to handle thicker materials, there are still limitations depending on the material’s density and/or nature.

The Silhouette will cut patterned paper, most cardstock, vellum, iron-on heat transfer material, vinyl, overhead transparency film, fabric (when using our Interfacing products) and sticker paper among other materials. Individual results may vary. Again, please note, that certain materials that are more dense (such as shrink plastic, foam, chipboard, leather) or overly fibrous in nature (such as felt) cannot be cut by the Silhouette, even if they fit within the thickness range noted above.

I hope that helps you all if your looking to cut these type of materials. I am sorry for any confusion I caused. I don't sell these machines or work with any of my die cutters professionally. I just enjoy answering questions about them and trying to help out.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!