View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #44
bejoyce
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
If your daughter has found a way to actually cut around an original stamped and colored image, I would love to know how she does this since I would prefer her method over stamping on a blank shape.
Yes, she has! I spent the afternoon with her, and she walked me through some of the techniques.

Before we get to that, I asked her about the lack of SD card and LCD display on the new Portrait. She said she had forgotten that the Silhouette even had an SD card until I mentioned it. She's had the machine for almost a year, and has never used the SD card; she keeps her files on her computer. She also said the LCD screen is completely redundant, since all the prompts are on the computer screen.

I've attached two examples of today's session. Both of these images were stamped first on a piece of cardstock, and then cut out with the Cameo Silhouette. You can see how precise it is, around the snowman's twig arms and carrot nose. Obviously, I could have colored them first if I'd wanted to, but this was just a cutting lesson/experiment. And of course, I can still color them.

She did say it is easier to cut a digital image that's already in your computer. She cut this Mo Manning image for me last summer. The bride and groom are cut out and popped up on dimensionals in front of the motorcycle.

Silhouette Cameo cutting example by bejoyce - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

It is also easier to cut out a blank shape and then stamp on it, but I was going for precision and was interested in seeing how she would cut around an image that was already stamped on a small piece of cardstock

OK, now for anyone who wants to see her tutorial, it is here. BTW, she's an engineer, so you probably want to skip the part labeled "Cutting Mylar for Solder Stencils."

I must add that although I found the demonstration fascinating, it did take some time. Granted, she was going slowly so I could understand what she was doing, and I did ask some questions. However, as you read her tutorial, you'll see that to go through the steps like the snowman, it takes a good bit of setup time if you want a precise cut. If you're doing multiple iterations of a given image, it can be done assembly-line fashion and it goes much faster after it's set up.

I'm impressed, and still leaning toward buying a Profile when they come out!
Attached Thumbnails
silhouette_cuts.jpg  
Color Challenge Guest Hostess May-December 2014
QFTD215

Last edited by bejoyce; 10-10-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!