09-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2004
Challenge Title: You Had Me In Stitches
Hostess: PH in VA, a/k/a Patricia
Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Welcome to Day 9 of this year's Hope You Can Cling To challenges! We're glad to have you join us in this worthy cause.
Sadly, one of the results from surgery to remove cancerous growths can be stitches. But as a popular saying goes, "laughter is the best medicine", and when one laughs a lot they are said to be "in stitches". Although cancer IS serious business, studies have shown that laughter produces endorphins - brain chemicals that help relieve pain and make one feel better. (You can read about that in this article from ScientificAmerican.com.) So let's make humorous cards using stitching (hand, machine, or faux) as an embellishment.
My main goal for this challenge is that your card will make us laugh. Let's help the cancer patients at M.D. Anderson feel better by releasing their endorphins!
Any type of humor is fine - jokes, puns, silliness, whatever makes you giggle! Just be sure to embellish your card with some sort of stitching.
VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE
View the entire Hope You Can Cling To Gallery HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Master Challenge Thread HERE
1. All Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery, with the specific challenge keyword, no later than November 7, 2012 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.
2. You may not combine challenges, but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.
3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
4. Please package all challenge entries with an envelope, protected with a clear plastic bag and mail them to our partner at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center to benefit patients being treated for breast cancer and their family. We would like for them to receive cards throughout the month of October, but we understand if you'd like to mail all your cards at once.
5. Since these cards will be used by visitors for patients, most should be blank inside, but feel free to send cards with messages of hope for the patients in addition to your challenge cards!
The Department of Volunteer Services – Unit 115
Attn: Maggi Suttles
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030
(Please note - because MD Anderson is part of the State of Texas, they ask that no religious sentiments be used on cards sent to the Cancer Center)
I'd like to extend a hug of thanks to my sample makers - Taylor, Lee, and Leslie. You girls make my heart smile!
Thank you so much for participating in this card drive! I'm looking forward to seeing how creatively you can keep SCS in stitches with your humorous cards embellished with stitching. Let's bring loads of cheer to the cancer patients!