View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
smokiesgal
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
The Cameo is a lightweight cutter and can only cut cotton fabrics. It does not cut felt or twill. Most electronic die cutters on the market don't cut nappy type fabrics out very well because it gunks up the blade housing with fibers.

Some of the heavier duty cutters like the BossKut Gazelle, KNK Zing do cut out felt if it's the wool type felt. Most craft type felts gunk up the cutters but it can be done if you using interfacing first. I do want to add you can cut felt without interfacing but I would only recommend doing this sparingly. This is not a cutting technique that should be done often.

Have you tried the quilting forums. I know several of the quilting girls do have die cutters and use them extensively for their art quilts. They would have some better gem tips than I could provide for a good quality die cutter that will cut fabric.

I use die cutters a lot and one of my requirements when I was buying a cutter was one that would cut fabric. I make a lot of appliques too.

My favorite cutter for fabrics is the Cricut. The Cricut is a closed proprietary system that only uses cartridges. You would not be able to use your own designs. It cuts fabric out like a dream. I love it for felt. I also have a BossKut Gazelle too but I really don't like it for fabrics. I have had some skipping problems with the blades when using it on fabric. I also have a Cameo that I like for thinner fabrics.

I have a friend that makes quilts and she loves her KNK Zing which you can make your own designs.

Hope that helps.
Deeann,
How is the Cameo for cutting chipboard or grungeboard? Do you know?

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!