View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
superjen
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Default Simple Chicken Soup

It finally got cold here so I made soup yesterday. I didn't use a recipe but it turned out so good, I thought I should write it down so I could make it again. I think the secret was the farm fresh veggies and herbs. It is so simple, it hardly needs a recipe but even DH commented on how good it was, so here it is.

1 pound chicken breast (I used boneless skinless but bone in will work too)
4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
4 large sprigs fresh oregano
4 large sprigs fresh thyme
5 whole cloves garlic (or more)
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
2 cups potatoes, coarsely chopped (2 inch chunks) - I used red skin potatoes and left the skins on
2 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
2 quarts chicken broth (I used store bought because that's what I had)
1 cup corn kernels
2 cups chopped fresh spinach (I used something called "perpetual" spinach because that's what I had from my CSA but I think regular spinach or even kale would be delicious).
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

- Cover the chicken breasts water. Add the rosemary, oregano, thyme, garlic and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let cool, reserving the liquid. Strain the liquid and return it to the pan.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and 2 quarts of broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken. Return it to the pan. Add the corn, spinach and parsley. Heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I added 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper).

Last edited by superjen; 10-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Forgot the spinach!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!