View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #6043
DianeCraft
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
i am doing my first craft show. i think i am opting to sell no cards. the basic flat card at target is 2.99. their papyrus cards that usually have some sort of embellishement go for upwards of $7. i cannot see putting so much work into something that would sell for $2.

how do you do it? are the cards that sell for $2 very simply made? this will be a learning experience for me. its not a huge show, but one i am familar with. i'll let you know if i decide to ever do another one.

i go to shows where i see the same people, with the same stuff they've had for years. i swear you could blow the dust off. it would be nice if there were a bit of profit. my husband has pushed for years for me to do a show, he thinks he will be able to retire! i am hoping to break even.
I really think the key is to have variety, and try to make as many as you think will sell. Each year, I add new things and take others away. It keeps people coming back every year. Sometimes they ask for last year's item, and are delighted to see new things.

It is hard your first year. I made small amouts for my first show, and made more during the weeks between shows if needed. Now, I don't do that because I have a good idea of what sells and how many I need. I decide how many to make, then I don't make more even when I run out.

For the cards, I agree there is alot of time & money put in to some cards. I do not sell elaborate ones at craft shows. I only use paper that I get on sale and keep my embellishment cost down also. I try to make cards that cost no more than 50 cents to make. The time - well, that is harder to recoup. I just figure I am getting paid for my hobby, so I try not to think about the time as much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!