Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts
Default College mascot stamps?

I've been working my way through my list of things to make for craft shows and it just dawned on me .... I KNOW what would really sell!!

ANYTHING with college colors and mascots letters etc. In my area, if you put Clemson, USC or Georgia Bulldogs on anything - people will buy it.

It must be that way in other parts of the country too, but where do you get rubber stamp images? I Googled but didn't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #2  
Vintage Vixen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having worked for a university, I can tell you that unauthorized use of a copyrighted college logo or mascot image will likely result in legal action against the person using it. This includes images that look similar enough to the copyrighted image that they could be mistaken for one another. The big schools make a lot of money selling items with their logo or mascot, and they do not like it when someone else tries to cash in on it.

For example, there was a case of a high school in another state using a mascot image that looked very similar to our university mascot. They were notified by the university's lawyers that if they did not stop using it, they would be sued for copyright infringement.

Knowing that, my guess is that unless the university has granted the use of its image on an "official" authorized rubber stamp, you will not find one. And if you were to create your own image that looked close enough to the original to be mistaken for it, and then used that image to create items that you were selling, you would likely face legal action for doing so.

I don't think you're likely to find a rubber stamp of a collage mascot, because it wouldn't be a big seller. But most schools have stickers, transparencies, fabric or embroidered images, etc. You could use those items on a card without incurring the wrath of the school (but they're not always cheap! You can find items on sale, but it's usually during the summer when they're trying to get rid of "last year's" designs to make room for the new stock.).

I would start by calling the school's on-campus bookstore to see what they have. You could also check with local stores in the area that sell the university's clothing and other items.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by missiowa81; 10-01-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I am a University of Washington Husky and have a couple rubber stamps that I purchased at our local stamp store. You might try the college bookstore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #4  

stickers would work! Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
I am a University of Washington Husky and have a couple rubber stamps that I purchased at our local stamp store. You might try the college bookstore.
I found a scrapbook store that says they have papers and stickers for 2 SC schools then I began checking the college bookstores. But you know what? I thought why does it have to have any images on it?? Just use school colors!

I just made a post it note holder with elegant eggplant cs, tangerine tango ribbon and then used a tiny EK Success punch of a paw print. Looks cute! Actually, I think the paw print might be a wolf or a bear, but it's close enough
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I found a scrapbook store that says they have papers and stickers for 2 SC schools then I began checking the college bookstores. But you know what? I thought why does it have to have any images on it?? Just use school colors!

I just made a post it note holder with elegant eggplant cs, tangerine tango ribbon and then used a tiny EK Success punch of a paw print. Looks cute! Actually, I think the paw print might be a wolf or a bear, but it's close enough
A real fan will "get it." :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Default mascots

I use paper and/or scrapbook kits for the different universities. In the recent past I've been able to secure some from local stamp stores. Some of the stores have closed, but you can order them online for any school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Carole, I live in Columbia - if you decide you need a paw stamp I can tell you where to find one. Since it's an animal's paw, they can sell them - it's simply up to you to turn it to the one o'clock position!

For the other major school (local, of course!) I'm thinking your best bet would be to check the college bookstore if you're in town. I actually snagged a stamp of that logo years ago when I found someone selling them in a stamp store before they realized they were violating copyright laws. I don't use it often and I've never made money by using it. Sorry I can't help you more on that one!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
Carole, I live in Columbia - if you decide you need a paw stamp I can tell you where to find one. Since it's an animal's paw, they can sell them - it's simply up to you to turn it to the one o'clock position!

For the other major school (local, of course!) I'm thinking your best bet would be to check the college bookstore if you're in town. I actually snagged a stamp of that logo years ago when I found someone selling them in a stamp store before they realized they were violating copyright laws. I don't use it often and I've never made money by using it. Sorry I can't help you more on that one!

Julie
Thank you!
I found a stamp at Carolina Stamper in Beaufort. It's the outline of SC with the palmetto tree inside. They're mailing it to me
I thought I could stamp it in garnet and black for USC and orange and purple for Clemson.

I also ordered a small rooster punch that I think can be taken as a gamecock. I found some garnet and black ribbon on sale yesterday so I'm think I'm all set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Thank you!
I found a stamp at Carolina Stamper in Beaufort. It's the outline of SC with the palmetto tree inside. They're mailing it to me
I thought I could stamp it in garnet and black for USC and orange and purple for Clemson.

I also ordered a small rooster punch that I think can be taken as a gamecock. I found some garnet and black ribbon on sale yesterday so I'm think I'm all set.
Sounds like a plan! I haven't been to the Carolina Stamper in quite a while but plan to make a trip soon. Great store!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes