Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Calibur problem

Is anyone else having this problem? Well, four problems actually . . .

I thought I was going to love my new Grand Calibur but I'm disappointed with a few features . . .

1. The little lever thingy is too small. I don't want to have to fasten it to the very edge of my table but the knob is too shallow and too low to the table, that if I put it further in I need pliers just to get it unsuctioned. I feel like it's going to break.

2. The rubber matt sticks to my paper like mad! half the time my paper tears trying to get it off the matt. I've washed it with warm soapy water several times, but it just keeps sticking.

3. The rubber matt stretches and moves my papers during the embossing. This is driving me mad too. So much wasted paper. I even use post it's to help hold it in place but that's not working either.

4. I bought the GC for the sole reason of being able to cut multiple dies at once, however it seems I can only use about the center third with any kind of reliable success. That puts me back down to the CB standard plate size working space.

I'm terribly afraid that my $159 has gone to waste because I have a pretty new toy that's just not working for me and it's been cast into the shadows while my CB enjoys the light of day.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had any of these issues!! I have no idea why you are having them (or I'm not).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bum machine :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be a good idea for you to call Spellbinders Customer Service. I have had my Grand Caliber since before Thanksgiving and have had no issues. You can reach them at:

1-888-547-0400 Toll Free
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
Is anyone else having this problem? Well, four problems actually . . .

I thought I was going to love my new Grand Calibur but I'm disappointed with a few features . . .

1. The little lever thingy is too small. I don't want to have to fasten it to the very edge of my table but the knob is too shallow and too low to the table, that if I put it further in I need pliers just to get it unsuctioned. I feel like it's going to break.

2. The rubber matt sticks to my paper like mad! half the time my paper tears trying to get it off the matt. I've washed it with warm soapy water several times, but it just keeps sticking.

3. The rubber matt stretches and moves my papers during the embossing. This is driving me mad too. So much wasted paper. I even use post it's to help hold it in place but that's not working either.

4. I bought the GC for the sole reason of being able to cut multiple dies at once, however it seems I can only use about the center third with any kind of reliable success. That puts me back down to the CB standard plate size working space.

I'm terribly afraid that my $159 has gone to waste because I have a pretty new toy that's just not working for me and it's been cast into the shadows while my CB enjoys the light of day.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one. *sigh*
I think I can help you with problems 2, 3 and 4 with a simple tip!

Sprinkle a little powder on both sides of your rubber mat and rub it around making a thin layer across the whole mat surface. If they are sticky this helps!

The paper won't stick to the mat and it should take care of your problems!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh Kim..I am going to have to try the powder trick because I have that problem too. I cannot emboss because the die is so sandwiched in between the layers...Thank you.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

your not the only one, I'm considering writing to complain but, I don't like to complain and my complaints are different. Mine doesn't stick to the table at all.
so, I am using my smaller size grands in my cuttlebug and letting it be an dust catcher... ( which tends to tick me off every time i see it )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
your not the only one, I'm considering writing to complain but, I don't like to complain and my complaints are different. Mine doesn't stick to the table at all.
so, I am using my smaller size grands in my cuttlebug and letting it be an dust catcher... ( which tends to tick me off every time i see it )
I think that if you have a problem with a product it's always worth following up. Companies don't know what issues need addressing for future development if they don't hear from their customers. Look on it as feedback rather than complaining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have no problems with my machine suctioning...try these tips:

1) make sure your machine is on a smooth surface (no texture), this is important
2) with a wet cloth, wipe any paper dust from both the table surface and the suction cup

If this doesn't help, call customer service on the toll free number 888-547-0400
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

My friend's GC was sort of the opposite. It wouldn't stick to her countertop or work table no matter what she did. Her unit also broke and had shards of metal coming out of the inside of it. The store she bought it from took it back no problems and ordered her a new one. The owner figured there was a bad batch as she had another one come back from that same shipment. In your case, it sounds like the pressure is too tight and that's why it is ruining your paper. If it isn't too old, I'd recommend returning it for an exchange and/or calling the manufacturer as others have suggested. This machine has great potential but the first generation has many flaws. Hopefully all the issues identified will be addressed in the next generation of the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

It's what we get for being early adopters! lol I'm going to pull mine out this weekend and really give it a work out and then see if I'm still unhappy with it. I think I'll also go buy me some tan matt at the Home Depot store. The powder would resolve the sticking issue, but I don't see how it would resolve the stretching that occurs while running it through. I'm more annoyed that I have to even go out and purchase something extra just to get the right results. I don't even want to get into the dies that just don't cut no matter what. :( Of course, it doesn't stop me from running out and buying more or placing a significant pre-order for the new ones lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default grand calibur problem

hi ladies
i am in the uk and have bought the grand calibur. last night my machine went stiff whilst i was using it and a shard of metal finally rolled out, it is one of the teeth from one of the handle cogs!! i emailed the company yesterday and still awaiting a reply. if these machines turn out to be problamatic i think the company should sort it out to be fair. i shall be interested to hear of any others who have had metal shards breaking off !!
Ally x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just had a thought..do you all think that wax paper would work with the paper sticking problem?
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyGView Post
hi ladies
i am in the uk and have bought the grand calibur. last night my machine went stiff whilst i was using it and a shard of metal finally rolled out, it is one of the teeth from one of the handle cogs!! i emailed the company yesterday and still awaiting a reply. if these machines turn out to be problamatic i think the company should sort it out to be fair. i shall be interested to hear of any others who have had metal shards breaking off !!
Ally x
I got a new Wizard at Christmas and the handle went the second time I used it. I didn't want to make an international call so I emailed, and Spellbinders did respond to my email within a couple of days.
Still waiting for a response this time, though, as once again the handle is faulty. But their good service first time round has left me optimistic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not impressed with my GC. I had a Big Shot but the handle broke. I needed a machine in a hurry so I got the GC at Hobby Lobby because it was 7:30 at night and I had a card camp the next day. If I had time to think about it I would have gotten another Big Shot.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default Grand Calibur Broke!

I bought my Grand Calibur in June. And I was also disappointed. Won't take Cuttlebug dies unless I fuss with shims/not shims. I bought a Cherry Lynn die (very pretty) put it in the machine and thought maybe I'd use a shim. I put in one piece of cardboard (like the kind the Cuttlebug embossing folders come in). As I was running it through the machine I heard a 'boinggggg'. I think a piece of the metal gear (?) is broken inside. The machine still sort of works, but when I turn the handle it misses a spot and then picks up again. I definitely like the Cuttlelbug better. I e-mailed Spellbinders but who knows what they will do. I would return it to Hobby Lobby, but I've had it 4 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Grand Calibur

I've had mine calibur for about 1 year. It was fine until recently the handle wouldn't turn and then metal flew out of it. My husband has just taken it apart and there are about 10 metal teeth broken off one of the cogs. I'm so annoyed. I've been really careful using it, ensuring I don't force the plates through and following the guidelines.
I'm from the UK and bought it from Create and Craft. I will complain but I don't suppose anything will happen because it about a year old. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default GC probs

im in the uk too and to date spellbinders have not replied or acknowledged my email at all, i think its been about 9 months now, im very upset.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I am so glad I waited before I spent my money on this machine. I have been using the same cuttle bug machine for 4 years with not one problem. Now if cuttle bug would come out with a wider mouth, that would be awesome. Who can we call for that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

im in the uk too and to date spellbinders have not replied or acknowledged my email at all, i think its been about 9 months now, im very upset.
Hi Ally,

My name is Kelly and I'm the brand new Social Media and Community Developer for Spellbinders. I've just finished my second week! I'm so sorry that you've not gotten a response to your email. Please contact me at [email protected] and I will help you sort your problem out. Spellbinders has made a commitment, by hiring me, to build a cohesive, supportive community.

I can also be found on Twitter as @Spellbinders and I'm also responding via our Facebook page. The goal is to hear what our customers are saying and be an active part of that conversation.

Spellbinders takes pride in the quality of our product and we take each customer's issues seriously. Thank you!

xo

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

ty for responding, u must be an angel, i have emailed you x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #22  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

I'm glad you've got a response now.
I must say, though, that I'm sure being in the UK wasn't an issue. As you can see, I'm in Ireland . My first contact with Spellbinders was just after Christmas since my Wizard was a Christmas present, and I was impressed at the speed of response - it was certainly not more than two days, during the holiday period. (I did find that the email address for international customer support was just bouncing back to me as undelivered, so I used some other address)

Less impressed that my THIRD handle has not been able to engage in reverse for the past couple of months, but at this stage I am just going to live with it. I don't believe it's me, I had a secondhand purple Wizard for two years without a single problem, while the brand new raspberry one has had three handles go bad in about 9 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

ty cook , have you emailed Kelly, shes wonderwoman.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Broken Grand Calibur

Hi,

today I've had a lovely email from Kelly from Spellbinders who passed me onto Amanda and Colin in the UK.

They have sent an address to me to return my Grand Calibur to be repaired free of charge!!

Thankyou Kelly, Amanda and Colin
xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

i too have been given a contact and i am going to return my machine for repair or replacement, im very pleased and like i said, Kellys a god send x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

It will probably cost us quite a lot in postage though as its so heavy!! I might have to wait until after christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

treesy i am being sent a parcel label and its getting picked up, contact kelly and see if they will do this for u also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Ally,

I've just emailed them. I've just emailed you too!x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreesyView Post
Thanks Ally,

I've just emailed them. I've just emailed you too!x
So Happy I could help!

xo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Default grand caliber follow up

i would just like to thank Kelly and let everyone know that my broken calibur was picked up with its postage paid label, fixed and returned within a record breaking time and although i havnt tried it yet i am delighted!
I thought it fair to not only report a problem but also the help i have given by given since Kelly became aware of the problems posted on this forum.
I would encourage you all to seek a remedy to ur problems, only by all our efforts can the company iron out any flaws which may be present and produce the quality we all need.
Thank you once again Kelly at Spellbinders.
kindest regards
Ally ( a very happy bunny in the uk )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm so happy that your issue was solved Ally! Our "door" is always open to all of Spellbinders amazing customers. I'd also like to say that much praise is due to our customer service rep, Amanda Hall. I'm just here to help foster a supportive community!

If anyone else has questions of concerns... my email is [email protected]

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Default ty

ty kelly and amanda and i hope u both had an amazing holiday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I just wanted to say that even though so far I haven't had any problems with my GC, reading these posts and seeing the support from Spellbinders, makes me so glad I have so many Spellbinders dies. I love supporting great companies like this, and plan on buying lots more of their products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Happy New Year to you too Ally!

And Thanks Kathi! So proud to be able to provide fabulous customer service to our amazing customers. xo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default grand calibur haunts me !

Hi Everyone
I thought it only fair that i post my experiences with the spellbinders grand calibur as i have been doing. I was so delighted to get my machine fixed with the help of Kelly that i celebrated by buying two imbossibilities for it.
My joy was short lived when i found that only the outside edges had a reasonable embossed pattern and the middle was barely touched. It looks as tho there isnt enough pressure accross the middle of the roller for the emboss to work properly. I have emailed Kelly a couple of times to ask if she can help but as of yet i have had no reply.
I think, i like many, anticipate another company bringing out an A4 sized machine because i am heartily dissapointed especially as i am on a low income due to the failing health of both myself and my partner, not a plea for a sympathy vote but just telling it like i have found it.
Ally
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Ally!

So sorry that you're having troubles. I've not gotten any emails from you. Can you please double check that you're sending to [email protected]?

I answer every email that comes my way!

In turn... I will check to make sure they've not gone to spam. We'll sort it out!

Have a lovely day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

will do kelly ty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to christiecolla

My machine broke within months, something fell off inside. My husband, bless his heart, opened it up and found screws that were loose and one had fallen off. He fixed it. A month later the handle snapped off... I am so careful with this machine, so I was sad.
Customer care sent me a new handle, and today it arrived. But! The handle does not fit, the hole in it does not fit on the rod it is supposed to turn!
They are now looking into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

I was considering getting a GC but now with all those problems.....am not so sure now perhaps will look at a Cuttlebug instead. I already have a BigShot.
Reply With Quote Likes