Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Cook22
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Default German Apple Pancake

German Apple Pancake

A couple of weeks back I was looking for a recipe I thought I had for Dutch Apple Cake to make when DH and a friend spent a whole day working on one of his bikes. No luck finding it, but what I did find was this - on old thermal fax paper and so faded it was hard to read; I tried it out for breakfast this morning as I was awake early.
From Anna Thomas' Vegetarian Epicure.

3 large eggs
5 fluid oz milk (it's 1/4 imperial pint, so it's a little under a US cup)
3/4 cup flour, pinch of salt
1 1/2 tblsp butter
(optional, 1 apple thinly sliced).

1 lb tart apples
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.

Preheat the oven to 450F, Gas Mark 8.
Beat together the eggs, milk, flour and salt till very smooth. Add the thinly sliced apple if using.
Heat a heavy 12" skillet and melt the 1 1/2 tblsp butter. When it's just sizzling, pour in the batter and put the skillet in the oven. After 15 minutes reduce temperature to 350F, gas mark 4 and cook for another 10 minutes. The pancake should be light brown and crisp.
While it's cooking, prepare the filling. Peel and thinly slice the apples, and sauté them in the 1/2 stick butter. They should be tender, still keeping their shape - about 10 minutes. Add the sugar and season to taste with spices.
Slide the pancake out onto a large plate, spread the filling over half of it and fold the top over.

She suggests drizzling it with more melted butter and dusting with sugar to serve - I passed on the extra calories. And I didn't have enough apples to put any in the the batter.
She also says that if it bubbles up in large air bubbles in the first ten minutes or so of baking, pierce with a skewer or fork to let the air out.

Serves 2-3 people for breakfast, 4-6 as a dessert.
SCS Photo Challenge #201 ~Vacation Favourites
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~Make It Monumental
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time - TLC499: Tape It Off
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!