Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Southwest corner punch woes.

I bought a Marvy Uchida Southwest corner punch and I can't get the stupid little thing to work consistently. It's not like it's a high end punch, I only paid a few bucks for it, but it was the only Southwest punch I could find and I really like the look it gives corners WHEN IT WORKS. But I have yet to use it on an actual project because when I test it on scrap it sometimes punches correctly and sometimes doesn't. So it's useless to me. Wah!

Does any other company make this kind of punch?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure hat the problem with the punch is but when my punches aren't working correctly I have punched through wax paper to get them moving better, through aluminum foil to get a crisper image. I've heard of freezing them to help with a clean punch too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

No, it's that the punch punches only one side of the paper, or punches one side and then the other little notch on the other side is too shallow. It's a pretty cheap plastic punch. Maybe I just got a lemon. Someone else must make a punch like this, of better quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 of these punches. One is a button style that is 'fussy' - sometimes it will punches and other times I guess it doesn't feel like working. I found another one that is the lever style and you can't even 'feel' it punching but when you take the paper out, the corner is nicely done. Both of these punches are by Marvy so maybe it is the different style of punch that makes one work so much better than the other. SU used to sell this corner punch, don't know why they stopped. Like it because it is non-gender, you can wind twine or yarn in the notches or leave it plain.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with yours. Like you said maybe you just got a lemon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this punch (the old button style) and haven't had any problems other than when the paper isn't inserted properly. If I get a wonky cut, I usually flip the punch over to make sure I'm getting the paper in right. I know on some of my corner punches (cheaper ones) the guides aren't lined up exactly right, so those ones I always flip over and make sure I've lined up the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

When you flip it over you can't see anything. The workings are hidden. Junk.

I found another brand of this kind of punch on eBay. I'll probably buy that one. More money, but if it doesn't work I can return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the issue is that the cutting blades need to be sharpened, try punching through a soda can several times. Carefully cut the can open and flatten it. Then punch through the aluminum. YouTube video here Nothing lost if it doesn't work if you're planning to throw away the punch.

That's my favorite corner punch. Thanks for reminding me that I haven't used mine in a long time. Need to get it out and use it again.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine is Marvy, Rachel, and I haven't had that problem with it. So maybe you just got a bad one, which is a shame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I'll try punching through tin foil first. This is a pretty lightweight plastic punch. I think a can would wreck it.

If that doesn't work, I'll assume it was a lemon and order another one. It was cheap enough. I love the little detail it gives a corner and frustrating not to be able to use it! But it's so unreliable that I haven't wanted to risk messing up a piece of a project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
When you flip it over you can't see anything. The workings are hidden. Junk.

I found another brand of this kind of punch on eBay. I'll probably buy that one. More money, but if it doesn't work I can return it.
I can see where its cutting when I flip mine over so I can line the paper up. This particular punch is pretty sturdy, but I've had it quite a while and it was an older punch when I bought it. It sounds like the newer ones may not be made of the same sturdy metal and plastics that the older ones are. Its a shame they cut quality to make a couple extra pennies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

No, it's quite weird. When you flip it over you just see the red plastic bottom. You can't see the paper at all. You can remove the paper guide and empty our the little bits but even that exposes nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I ordered another one. Well, another two. I ordered another Marvy and then saw another version by some other company on eBay and ordered that one also. I guess I must really, really want to be able to make two tiny notches in the corner of card stock! I'm declaring the one I have a dud (but not worth going through the aggro of returning to the online store where I bought it, the postage would be as much as the punch), and I'll just compare the replacement with the eBay one and whichever I like less, I'll send to my sister. She often benefits from my obsessive approach to life's little conundrums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I checked mine, and it is indeed Marvy Uchida. And like cat_woman, when I turn mine over I can see the paper. I didn't know that before - I've never needed to! Sounds as if they've revamped the style of the punch then, and not for the better. I know SU used to do one way back - I wonder if you'd find one through BST or on ebay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ha, I was typing while you were posting. Good luck with one or the other - preferably both!! - of your new punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Okay, just to update you in case you are interested -

The Marvy replacement I got was not really any better than the first one. And it's very cheap plastic. The one I got on eBay, which was about the same price, was by Carl. Far better quality, heavier and more sturdy, and I can look underneath and see what I'm doing if I need to. Now I'm not worried about using it on my projects.

So now you know. If you want one of these punches, skip the Marvy (at least the current version) and get the Carl.

I'll be giving both my Marvy's away.
Reply With Quote Likes