View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #902
Rush'd Lady
Mad Swapper

Hubby and I went to Michaels last weekend. He was looking for something in particular and asked if I was going to stay in the car. I told him if he thought he was going to get away with going to one of my favorite stores without me, he had rocks in his head! *smile* Now that I’m “into” gadgets, I had to sail over to the scrapbook/stamp section and see what new gadgets was in store for my delight.

I saw a pink distresser version of my rotary tool with some of the same tips I have. It was $16.99. Then down the clearance aisle, I saw a heat-resistant stencil for a heat bling tool and I was wondering what I could substitute tool wise? The stencil kit was half the regular retail price, but I figured out that I could make my own flourish stencil for less that that out of maybe an oatmeal cannister or a margarine tub lid. At one of Harbor Freights sales, I bought a small box of steel eyelet/grommet hole punches, the hammering kind, so I could make all sizes of holes in the lids. I also found a sheet metal hand punch with different sized tips there that works great for punching holes in CD’s with the result that I have my own cheap bling.

My hubbin likes Tim Holtz and wants me to learn his techniques for the vintage look for his heritage scrapbook since his thing is family history. So he picks up whatever is on clearance of Tim’s and this time it was a grungeboard alphabet. Deeann, this craftin’ thing is rubbing off on my hubbin! *smile* My hubbin also likes the vintage/steampunk looking hardware of Tim’s & 7 Gypsies. Since I’ve not had too much experience in the hardware department what can I substitute? What do I look for at Home Depot and thrift stores? Are alcohol inks & sharpies what I need to “antique” the things?

I also picked up a deep memory box with some old-looking sewing notions inside. Framing it was a painted faux finish that looked like galvanized metal. Anybody have any idea how to get that look?

I also saw a long rickrack diecut I wanted for scrapbooking in the clearance section for cheap, but don’t have the extender plates for my Cuddlebug. I was wondering how I could make my own. They were $19.99 apiece for A plate and C plate and about 13 inches long. I figured by the time I get the 50% off coupons, that diecut plate might be long gone by then. Do you think a wooden board (A plate) & plexiglas (C ) cut the right size and shimmed with paper would work?

Anybody remember paper dresses? Looking through the bookrack at Michael’s, I saw an artist’s book that used paperback book pages to decoupage everything in sight! On the front cover was an old purse covered in newsprint. One could have matching accessories if you covered a purse and shoes in newsprint and glazed them in mod-podge.

Later this week, some of my friends and I got together for lunch and a bookmaking project (see my blog for sample). I needed a piercer awl and after seeing the price on the tool at Michael’s, my hubbin thought he could find me one cheaper and he did. It’s a Stanley brand awl #82-111 and came in a set of 4 tools for $5.88 at Walmart. A girlfriend gave me a cork for the end of it, so I don’t stab myself fishing for it in my tool bag.

And while we were in Walmart’s, back in the stationery department on an endcap, I found a great deal! They had all their colored sharpie markers on clearance for 50 cents apiece and most of the colors were there! I told my husband that copic markers were at least $6.00 apiece at HL and while I won’t get all the marvelous colors they have, I’ll have something to play with at least!

Found these two frugal ideas online =

http://www.ritdye.com/diy-search-filter/all/359

SCRAPcast » Blog Archive » SCRAPcast 025 – Anniversary Show
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!