Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts
Default SU Clear vs. wood stamp sets

Just wondering how you go about choosing clear or wood. I am thinking of getting the Field Flowers stamp set. (I generally prefer wood stamps). It sure saves money buying the clear but is it better to spring for the wood for this one in particular?

Thanks
Shirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get everything in clear that I can for a few reasons:

Cheaper so I can buy more set, ha!

I like the clear mount because I can see for placement a lot better. I should note that I don't use the image labels...they don't stick well.

Saves space of course and they are easier to store. I like the look of them lined up on a shelf much better than the helter skelter stacking of the clamshells.

That's just my two cents. It really is just about which you prefer for whatever reasons.

Personally I'd get the clear in this one because I feel like it's easier to two step stamp with the clear (and not have to drag out the SAMJ).

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will generally choose the cling mount over the wood mount but there are times where I think wood might be better for me. I have to decide on how I am going to use the image and how big the biggest stamp in the bunch is. I unmount quite a lot of my stamps but some stay as they are. I have a recipe set where the recipe card is pretty big in comparison to others so I leave that on the wood because I guess it just feels sturdier for me somehow when I am stamping. With Field Flowers I would probably go for the cling because of the 2 step part. Do you have a block that is long enough for the flower stem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only been stamping for six months, so I don't come out of a background where wood was all there was. I came into this when clings were already a well established part of the craft.

So I buy cling (or clears) 99.9% of the time, but I find myself trolling eBay and Etsy for older interesting wood mount stamps. I do not know why. I have a small but growing collection of wood mounts.

Clings are so great - space saving, easy to use for placement. If I could only have one, it would be cling. Still, I just got two lovely wood mounts in the mail off Etsy and I feel very affectionate towards them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I prefer wood and almost always choose that but I do have a few clear mount. I originally bought Fox and Friends to show as a clear mount (I am a demo) so I have one block that is that size. I have since then bought Make a Monster in clear because it is easier for my daughter to stamp the little accessories stamps - and a small block. I bought 2 other sets in clear because they were ones that I liked but are more seasonal so I won't be stamping them all the time and they were the right size to use with the blocks I have.
If I buy a set that I know I am going to use a ton then I definitely want wood. I prefer the feel of it and am always afraid I am going to lose my rubber mount stamps in the mess that is my craft room.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I now get 95% of any new sets in the clear mount. It's quite a bit cheaper and the storage space saved is amazing! I can sometimes get 2-3 unmounted sets in just one clear mount case-compare that to the bulk of 3 wood mount cases. But I have kept a few older sets on wood-Sentiments, Lovely as a Tree, French Script background and sets that require a 2-step stamping process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never buy wood-mounted anymore unless that is the only way the stamp comes. Then I will search for a similar stamp in clear (not clear-mount, but clear photopolymer) for months, and if I can't find anything, THEN I buy the wood-mounted stamp but I unmount it as soon as I get it.

But since you prefer wood, if I were you, I would just go ahead and get the wood even if it's more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go with the Clear Mount!

I agree with Minders above; but I will add that I found that adding a piece of clear vinyl to the clear block helps the stamp stick better on the blocks when you apply the image sticker to the stamp.

I used to spray Krylon tacky spray on my unmounted stamps to help them stick to the clear block (it's like the sticky on a Post-It note), but over time the Krylon spray can became clogged and every time I'd try to spray my stamps with the sticky stuff, the can wouldn't spray out the stuff, so I found a demo who had a tutorial on how she made her clear stamps cling to the clear blocks by cutting a piece of very thin clear vinyl and applying the vinyl to the clear block. She then puts the stamp with the image sticker on the block and it sticks. Easy peasy. She found the clear vinyl in a roll at a big box craft store.

I had a scrap piece of clear vinyl left over and it was enough to fit the two clear SU! blocks that I have. The block is still see through and it works for easy placement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy mostly cling mount SU stamps, with the exceptions of those only offered in wood or those older sets I must have. I do a lot of my crafting at crops, and other than my current apartment, haven't had much storage room, so having lighter-weight stamps makes them a little more portable and easy to store when I'm short on space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Cling mount and I've unmounted all of my SU wood stamps and just about all of my non-SU wood stamps. I love the SU DVD cases for storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I unmount all of my rubber stamps so I can store as many as possible in as small a space as possible, so I buy the cling-mount so I'm not wasting as much (money or materials). I agree with the others - get what YOU prefer, because YOU are the one who'll be using them! I have five stamps that are still on wood, and will stay there FOREVER, because I consider them part of the decor of my craft room (they are all Stampotique).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I only buy cling/clear mount now. I just don't see the value in spending the extra money on the wood mount. Also, the wood mounted stamps take up too much space. I'm in the process of unmounting all my older stamps. The only ones I'm not unmounting are the ones I'm selling or that I'm on the fence about keeping. If there is any chance I'm selling the set I don't unmount it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I still prefer wood-mount but often buy cling because of the price and ease of storage. With SU, I don't mind buying cling because the stamps are still of good quality. I think I just like the feel of wood blocks (and the way they fit each stamp) more than the acrylic blocks. But since money and space are concerns for me, I don't buy many wood-mounted SU anymore. I use Tack n Peel on my blocks so I don't have a problem with them staying on while I am stamping.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have mostly wood stamps but I have been purchasing cling for sentiments and for the two-step stamping sets. This way I can see what I'm doing. But I prefer wood. With the wood stamps, once they are mounted you're done. The cling stamps you are constantly mounting and if you're OCD like I am it takes two or three times to 'get it right'.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I used to be a diehard wood mounted gal myself, but I love the cling mount or unmounted rubber stamps now that I've used the SU contoured acrylic stamp blocks.

I like the cling mounts for the ease of storage and the cheaper price. I buy wood mount if that is all this available. I sometimes prefer wood mount for small images like "Teeny Tiny Wishes" since I sometimes overdo it when scrubbing my stamps clean.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #16  

I still love my wood mount stamps, but now I almost always buy the clear mount stamps just because it's cheaper. I like to stretch my crafting money as far as I can
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchase both.

For sentiments, I purchase wood--particularly any set with SMALL sentiments. Small and blocks just don't work as well as wood mount for me.

I purchase mostly clear on other things because I have very little space. However, I do not use their image stickers on the back. I really think SU needs to rethink those stickers. They simply do not work.

Cling from other places, not a problem. I have no trouble with other companies' cling--just SU's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE wood, have plenty of space and can break up some sets for easier use. I break apart sets at a minimum, as stamps from broken homes give me anxiety ;) But sentiments or mixed occasion stamps get more use if categorized together. I won't break apart the clear sets as I store them in the rubber outline to keep from losing small stamps.

I love the feel of wood, I love the ease...I like to stamp and go-I'm not a fan of mounting, and unmounting each cling.
I have about 80 wood mount sets and will NEVER, EVER unmount...ick, what a process. I don't have the time or desire.

That said I buy clear now for the price. During SAB I choose wood.
I also like clear mount for two-step stampin', as Minders said.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 09-18-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #19  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the set.
Since I'm a demo, I think about how I'm going to use the set. If the set has a lot of similar sized stamps (like sentiments) that I'll use at the same event, I'll usually go with wood. That way I don't have to buy too many multiple blocks. (I've worked my way up to almost two full sets already to make life work at my classes) Mixed Bunch would be an example of this.
Or Merry Minis.
Actually, I bought most of my stamps this year in wood (at least the ones from the Holiday Catalogue).

I think I go in phases ... but I really do like my wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Clear is my first choice, cling is second, wood last. I really like being able to see where I'm stamping. But, of course, I do have lots of wood stamps! love using the SU!/ amuse cases to store stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for everyone's chiming in on this decision. Love hearing everyone's thoughts. So Interesting...While I do love wood the best, I think I am going to go with clear for this particular set.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm of the opposite mind for 2 step stamping. I will always buy a 2 step set in wood mount and use my stamp positioner. I can't get as precise placement with cling mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

You would think they would work the same, wood or clings on acrylic, but I agree with you that they often don't. It depends on the size of the stamp I find. With wood, it easier to slide the mount down flush against the positioner. Although if you have a very thick block like the SU blocks, it's more do-able.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 09-21-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Okay, now I am back on the fence again, lol........

Thanks for your input.
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

love my wood! hate everything about clear mount (except the price) from prying the block out of the case to getting the darn stamp to stick to it to actually getting a good image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
love my wood! hate everything about clear mount (except the price) from prying the block out of the case to getting the darn stamp to stick to it to actually getting a good image.
I have heard that Tsuinkeo's Tac and Peel is suppose to be good for sticking your stamp to your block. There is a video by someone on line showing you how to use it. I haven't tried it yet, as i haven't found it yet in the stores i have looked in, but would buy it I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, space is the big issue! I've been a stamper for MANY years and my SU sets were accumulating and taking up a ton of space. I unmounted 90% of my sets and freed up a lot of space! Now I only buy the clear stamps.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
I have to agree with you about getting the stamp to stick to the clear block, what a pain! I wish SU would correct that problem. I have to huff onto the clear block and the stamp to get it to stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I am staying with wood. I don't want to have to do anything extra ( tacknpeel, vinyl, huffing) to make a clear mount stamp stick ... sticking to the block is what it should do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #30  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Hmm can someone please explain the difference between cling and clear stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~LNView Post
Hmm can someone please explain the difference between cling and clear stamps?
Cling are rubber stamps that are backed with foam cushion that will cling to an acrylic block. Clear stamps are see through made of poly-something and they, too, stick to acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #32  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Cling are rubber stamps that are backed with foam cushion that will cling to an acrylic block. Clear stamps are see through made of poly-something and they, too, stick to acrylic blocks.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #33  

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I have to agree with you about getting the stamp to stick to the clear block, what a pain! I wish SU would correct that problem. I have to huff onto the clear block and the stamp to get it to stick.
Okay now y'all have got me wondering what is 'right' here in South Carolina. Humidity??? It is very humid here.

My upline and I stamp together all the time with friends and we don't have issues with the clear mounts not sticking to the blocks. Wonder what we are doing right? hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I started with all SU clear mounts, and after setting up the indexes on my first couple of sets, found I had very inconsistent results with them sticking. I asked my SIL, who was an SU demo at the time, what I was doing wrong. She told me not to use the indexes. She said they did not work well in her opinion and that she had found this out the hard way. So I just don't ever use them and my clings stick fine. I don't understand why SU doesn't do what everyone else who has index images seems to do, which is to print them directly on the back of the cling. I found the fussy nonsense of getting them straight on the cling to be a bother, and once I got over the fact that I would not have images on the back of my stamps, I got a stamp positioner and have been fine.

Some of my other brand clings, bought later, didn't come with indexes, so I would have had to get used to working without them eventually in any case.

I know many people have had lots of trouble with the indexed clings not sticking and many others say they get them to stick just fine. SU doesn't seem concerned about the problem. And no one, on this forum at least, has presented any method for getting them to stick that has allowed them to stick as well as they do without the indexes, in my own experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Okay now y'all have got me wondering what is 'right' here in South Carolina. Humidity??? It is very humid here.

My upline and I stamp together all the time with friends and we don't have issues with the clear mounts not sticking to the blocks. Wonder what we are doing right? hmmm
That's interesting...wonder if it is the humidity. I know that if I don't put the stickers on the backside my stamps they will stick with no problem, but I like having the stickers on them. Some people even trim the stickers so that they are smaller than the stamp and that leaves them a border that will hold the stamp, but that's too much cutting for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #36  

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
That's interesting...wonder if it is the humidity. I know that if I don't put the stickers on the backside my stamps they will stick with no problem, but I like having the stickers on them. Some people even trim the stickers so that they are smaller than the stamp and that leaves them a border that will hold the stamp, but that's too much cutting for me .
Me too.

We like the stickers on them too, we don't trim and ours always stick. The only thing I can think of is humidity. Most of us probably use SU stamp cleaner and stampin' scrub. That's all I come up with. Sounds like a science fair project!! lol If I were still teaching, I'd give that a go with my class I used to do some crazy, fun experiments with my kids!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Me too.

We like the stickers on them too, we don't trim and ours always stick. The only thing I can think of is humidity. Most of us probably use SU stamp cleaner and stampin' scrub. That's all I come up with. Sounds like a science fair project!! lol If I were still teaching, I'd give that a go with my class I used to do some crazy, fun experiments with my kids!
You might be correct about the humidity because when I huff on the stamps they stick. I do use the SU cleaner and scrub pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I started with all SU clear mounts, and after setting up the indexes on my first couple of sets, found I had very inconsistent results with them sticking. I asked my SIL, who was an SU demo at the time, what I was doing wrong. She told me not to use the indexes. She said they did not work well in her opinion and that she had found this out the hard way. So I just don't ever use them and my clings stick fine. I don't understand why SU doesn't do what everyone else who has index images seems to do, which is to print them directly on the back of the cling. I found the fussy nonsense of getting them straight on the cling to be a bother, and once I got over the fact that I would not have images on the back of my stamps, I got a stamp positioner and have been fine.

Some of my other brand clings, bought later, didn't come with indexes, so I would have had to get used to working without them eventually in any case.

I know many people have had lots of trouble with the indexed clings not sticking and many others say they get them to stick just fine. SU doesn't seem concerned about the problem. And no one, on this forum at least, has presented any method for getting them to stick that has allowed them to stick as well as they do without the indexes, in my own experience.
what are indexes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I prefer the look of wood mounted stamps, but I buy the SU clear mount for the price when I can. Love collecting the older, retired sets in wood though. I like that with clear I can get better stamp placement. But I don't like that the stamps don't stick very well to the block or the case unless you don't use the image sticker on them. That's annoying.

Now that I have a Stampamajig I don't care so much about clear vs wood regarding placement - the jig works beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Indexes are just the sheets of images that you are supposed to stick on the back of each stamp. Some people call them something else. I forget what.

I'm with you on the stamp a ma jig, mswhittaker. I never, ever would have bought one, but my SIL sent hers to me because she found it a bother to use and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time. It's one of my must-haves.
Reply With Quote Likes