Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which is the best die cutting machine?

My C'bug broke; my Big Shot is almost worn out. Both have been fine machines, but I'm wondering what next. Grand Calibur? Vagabond? Something else? I have a BSP, but it's not an everyday machine for me. Is there a clear winner/latest and greatest?

Which one do you love and why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sorts of dies do you usually use? The GC will do large dies but only the thin style. The Vagabond's claim to fame is that it electronically presses so you don't have to manually roll the paper through. If you have worn out two other machines I assume you use them a lot and I wonder if the V would be sturdy/long lasting enough. Is the BSP not an every day machine because of the size? Letting us know what you like and dislike about the ones you have had might help people give more specific advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
What sorts of dies do you usually use? The GC will do large dies but only the thin style. The Vagabond's claim to fame is that it electronically presses so you don't have to manually roll the paper through. If you have worn out two other machines I assume you use them a lot and I wonder if the V would be sturdy/long lasting enough. Is the BSP not an every day machine because of the size? Letting us know what you like and dislike about the ones you have had might help people give more specific advice
OK, you got it. I wore out the C'bug and BigShot, so I guess I use that size die primarily. I have a lot of the steel rule dies, but rarely use them b/c storing them is more trouble than the wafer-thin ones. Love thin dies; have a lot of Spellbinders, Marianne, Cheery Lynn, and the other regulars, but my fave is Memory Box. I have the BSP for various box dies. I have some of the Grands, but usually don't use them, at least the larger ones.

Was wondering about the toughness and longevity of the Vagabond, you seem to also. Although i do like the idea of pressing a button (obviously I use my die cut machines a lot). Guess that leaves the Grand Calibur, but how much better/different is it than the others?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
OK, you got it. I wore out the C'bug and BigShot, so I guess I use that size die primarily. I have a lot of the steel rule dies, but rarely use them b/c storing them is more trouble than the wafer-thin ones. Love thin dies; have a lot of Spellbinders, Marianne, Cheery Lynn, and the other regulars, but my fave is Memory Box. I have the BSP for various box dies. I have some of the Grands, but usually don't use them, at least the larger ones.

Was wondering about the toughness and longevity of the Vagabond, you seem to also. Although i do like the idea of pressing a button (obviously I use my die cut machines a lot). Guess that leaves the Grand Calibur, but how much better/different is it than the others?

Hello! I can't speak about the Grand Calibur because I don't have that machine, but I do have a vagabond and it is great, touch of a button and it cuts like butter! It is definitely a work horse and I love it!! I have a lot of nesties that I use with it embossing folders, and a few memory box dies! There are some videos on you tube that maybe helpful to you in making your decision. I also did a lot of research before deciding to purchase mine!
Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

The only thing I can think of that may help you make a decision is to ask how long you had your machines. Stampin' Up has a 3 year warranty on their Big Shot. I'm not sure about the others. I just read about a demo who had a customer break hers, and SU replaced it. That's pretty amazing customer support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

If you are planning to use any of Spellbinders large format dies, the Grand Calibur would be the way to go. I would probably opt for it even if I didn't have any large format at present. It would give me the opportunity to get them at a later date.

Your choice should be based on what you see yourself using.

Cathy

Last edited by Jeanne S; 01-19-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the GC and love it. I also have a CB and BS.

sometimes, I just wish I had the Big Shot Pro -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyCView Post
If you are planning to use any of Spellbinders large format dies, the Grand Calibur would be the way to go. I would probably opt for it even if I didn't have any large format at present. It would give me the opportunity to get them at a later date.

Your choice should be based on what you see yourself using. The Grand Calibur is available at Michaels, Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby and can be purchased with a coupon, which could be another consideration.

Cathy
I just read yesterday that Joann will no longer allow coupons on dies or die cut machines. The gal called customer support to verify.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw in my Joann's ad Sunday, the new Fiskar's machine - and looked on the coupon to see if it could be used. The coupon said it could not be used on any die cutting machine or accessories.

BUMMER
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I saw a new machine on someone's website but can't remember where I saw it. It seems it may have been called an "Ebosser" but don't quote me on that cause my memory is bad these days. Anyways...it cuts and embosses in one step. It looked really awesome and may be electronic. It was $199 though. Haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Maybe some of those lucky people who were at the trade show know more about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoSherryView Post
I saw a new machine on someone's website but can't remember where I saw it. It seems it may have been called an "Ebosser" but don't quote me on that cause my memory is bad these days. Anyways...it cuts and embosses in one step. It looked really awesome and may be electronic. It was $199 though. Haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Maybe some of those lucky people who were at the trade show know more about it!
Thanks, I'll look into it. Do you happen to remember if it requires special dies or can use anyone's? I think I remember seeing a similar machine (can't say if it's the same one) that made those claims, BUT you had to buy all new dies - theirs. If, on the other hand, it can save steps and use Spellbinders, Memory Box, etc., then that would be a machine worth purchasing, IMO.

Sounds like now is the time to buy if I'm going big box chain, before they ALL exclude die machines from their coupons.

Does anyone know - the Grand Calibur, does it take two hands, one to crank and one to hold the machine down for tight sandwiches? That's what I've run into with my CB and BS, looser sandwiches go though without having to hold the machine in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have Cuttlebug, Slice, big Shot and Grand Caliber. I am ordering a Silhouette Cameo this week. It looks like a very nice die cut machine without all the cartridges or cards to store.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

It stated that it took ALL dies! It looked like a small machine too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoSherryView Post
It stated that it took ALL dies! It looked like a small machine too.
So sorry. I was just going on what another poster said on another thread in this forum. So it takes all dies, nice. Thanks for setting me straight. Here's to hoping I didn't perpetuate false info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

To me it seems like the BSP does everything the GC does, while the GC is limited to wafer thin dies. If it were me and I already had the BSP, I would either do anther smaller format machine or an electronic one to open up other avenues of design (like the Cameo, or I have a Gazelle I really like). That is just my two cents though. The SU guarantee seems like it might be a good avenue for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into it. Do you happen to remember if it requires special dies or can use anyone's? I think I remember seeing a similar machine (can't say if it's the same one) that made those claims, BUT you had to buy all new dies - theirs. If, on the other hand, it can save steps and use Spellbinders, Memory Box, etc., then that would be a machine worth purchasing, IMO.

Sounds like now is the time to buy if I'm going big box chain, before they ALL exclude die machines from their coupons.

Does anyone know - the Grand Calibur, does it take two hands, one to crank and one to hold the machine down for tight sandwiches? That's what I've run into with my CB and BS, looser sandwiches go though without having to hold the machine in place.
The Grand Calibur has a suction plate on the bottom so that you can "stick" it to your surface. It needs to be a smooth surface but it this does work really well. I have my Grand Calibur on a countertop in my crafty room. Sometimes the suction comes loose because of the change in temp. but I will just wipe my countertop down with a wet cloth and engage the suction feature again.

I love the Grand Calibur. I have had it since they came out and its a really great machine.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I know not many people have it, but I love my Creatopia. It does more than just die cutting/embossing, and it takes all the brands of dies. It laminates/adhesives and has embossing rollers up to 12" too. Plus some fun cutting rollers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Another vote got the Grand Caliber here..I use mostly Spellbinders and it cuts and embosses them so beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Fiskars has come out with a die cut machine called the Fuse. It can cut, emboss, letterpress and ink in one pass, if you use their dies. The machine will handle 12" paper. It also folds, so it offers space saving storage. I believe the MSRP is $299. I would like to get the BSP, but I'm now wondering about this machine. Anyone have a review on it? I would like this to be my final purchase of a cutting machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
The Grand Calibur has a suction plate on the bottom so that you can "stick" it to your surface. It needs to be a smooth surface but it this does work really well. I have my Grand Calibur on a countertop in my crafty room. Sometimes the suction comes loose because of the change in temp. but I will just wipe my countertop down with a wet cloth and engage the suction feature again.

I love the Grand Calibur. I have had it since they came out and its a really great machine.

HTH
Thx for the input. I'd seen the lever to hold it in place via suction; similar to my old CB. On the C'bug, it was virtually worthless, so I appreciate your hands-on input on its effectiveness.

As tempting as merely pushing a button is, I'm going w/the GC. As hard as I seem to be on machines, I'm just afraid that I would beat the Vagabond up until it dies a premature death. The guilt would plague me. ;o)

Last question (I think) ;). I can get the Grand Calibur for $85 all-in this week. For that, it seems to include the machine and all of the necessary standard pads. Is that a good price, or should I keep shopping it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default which is the best die cutting machine

I guess it goes without saying that the best machine is the one that works best for you.

I purchased a CB about 4 years ago ,and so far I have not had one die cut that i could not cut on it, including some companies dies mentioned on this forum.Now you can even buy extender plates for the CB.

I guess it all comes down to what are you going to use it for, are you a Demo, are you planning on selling a lot of cards? I dont believe in over buying if i already have something that covers everything i need for card making.

If my CB broke down tomorrow I might change my mind ,but not necessarily for the biggest and newest but buy for my needs, and its not because i cant afford any machine I want. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

If it were me and I wanted it for thin dies (assuming I'd use the Pro for fat dies), I'd strongly consider the Grand Calibur for the big embossing plates. They look yummy.

I believe the eBosser is from Craftwell. Here, I found it:
eBosser - Electric Embosser and Die Cutter | Craftwell

Looks dreamy for size and function and portability! But... haven't heard any reviews and seems to be still listed as "coming soon". No price on the site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I can't make a card without using my Big Shot. I have a CB but it is limited. If you're not already a demonstrator maybe you should join Stampin' Up! because you get to customize your starter kit (choose any $125 in product) for only $99 and you could choose the Big Shot and a few other items AND get the free printer's tray they are offering through August.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thx for the input. I'd seen the lever to hold it in place via suction; similar to my old CB. On the C'bug, it was virtually worthless, so I appreciate your hands-on input on its effectiveness.

As tempting as merely pushing a button is, I'm going w/the GC. As hard as I seem to be on machines, I'm just afraid that I would beat the Vagabond up until it dies a premature death. The guilt would plague me. ;o)

Last question (I think) ;). I can get the Grand Calibur for $85 all-in this week. For that, it seems to include the machine and all of the necessary standard pads. Is that a good price, or should I keep shopping it?
I think that is a great deal! I bought mine last November from HSN for around $75.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
I think that is a great deal! I bought mine last November from HSN for around $75.
Thanks for the input, Kristi. I passed on the deal this time, but pretty sure that opportunity will knock again in the fairly near future. Now that I know it's a good deal, I'll pull the trigger when it comes around. Thx again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I had a CB and sold it. I have a Big Shot and LOVE it. I don't care for the GC and rarely use it, and as to your question--I find the suction on the GC just as worthless as the one on the CB. I am thinking of getting a Big Shot Pro or a Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am leaning towards the Vagabond. Maybe someday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I am confused why others with a BS say they can do more with it than the CB?? I own CB and it does everything for me! (ok maybe not make the coffee :/ ) But it now has the extra long plates and haven't come across anything I couldn't use it for (I guess for what I have tried). PLUS it takes up less space! That's important too .
Maybe I'm old fashioned too, but I like the cranking the die through myself vrs. a button. I like having the control I guess.
I have been considering possibly a cricut but not sure about that either.
But I agree, there are so many variations of cutting machines- it can get overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
The only thing I can think of that may help you make a decision is to ask how long you had your machines. Stampin' Up has a 3 year warranty on their Big Shot. I'm not sure about the others. I just read about a demo who had a customer break hers, and SU replaced it. That's pretty amazing customer support.
The SU warranty is the same as the Sizzix one -- three years. Sizzix has fabulous customer service (as does SU).

I have a Grand Calibur and love it because it makes cutting with the thin dies so easy, but it's not a good choice for an "only" machine, as it doesn't handle the thick dies/materials.

I also love my Big Kick and have given four of them as gifts. I was given a Big Shot, and it does everything a BK does (it's the same machine, just cosmetic differences), so it's another excellent choice.

My first machine was a Cuttlebug, but I prefer the BK or BS.

ETA I haven't been tempted by the (old) electric BS or the Vagabond because I'm concerned that the motor could end up being a source of problems. I don't have any health issues that necessitate assistance in cranking the machine, so less is more for me in this case.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 08-30-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by paigewithpanacheView Post
I am confused why others with a BS say they can do more with it than the CB?? I own CB and it does everything for me! (ok maybe not make the coffee :/ ) But it now has the extra long plates and haven't come across anything I couldn't use it for (I guess for what I have tried). PLUS it takes up less space! That's important too .
Maybe I'm old fashioned too, but I like the cranking the die through myself vrs. a button. I like having the control I guess.
I have been considering possibly a cricut but not sure about that either.
But I agree, there are so many variations of cutting machines- it can get overwhelming!
Please look at other machines before buying a Cricut. If it's the ease of cartridges you want, I recommend the Sizzix Eclips, which allows you to cut from their carts and/or from their fantastic open design software that doesn't tie you to cart images. Also, I feel the cutter is a better machine. (I have an Expression and an Eclips, as well as 2 KNKs, and I would not recommend the Cricut to anyone now.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I saw the Ebosser at my local store. They had just gotten a bunch in. They will sell for $199. She said they will take all dies and also emboss - all in one step. I think this will be on my xmas wish list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I was interested in the eCraft for sure and the eClips. I have done so much research in all of them that I was ready to throw the towel in! I think all these companys take advantage of people and charge WAAAYY to much money for their machines etc. I didn't want to invest in something to find I really didn't use it enough to justify spending that kind of money. So I decided to buy a used machine and see how it goes...if I'm hooked, then I will make my investment,and this will be a backup machine. ;) Waiting for my purchase to arrive Fedex. As far as the CB and BS- they are basically the same thing except CB takes up A LOT LESS SPACE!! I love that too. Gives me more room for other things! Plus I've tried all kinds of dies and they work great! And of course embossing works perfect too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

I have a new bigshot, and no matter how I set up it won't cut or emboss. I followed the pictures on utube showing how nto do it, but nothing happens .
Can anyone help? PLEASE

Bran74
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bran74View Post
I have a new bigshot, and no matter how I set up it won't cut or emboss. I followed the pictures on utube showing how nto do it, but nothing happens .
Can anyone help? PLEASE

Bran74
Someone else may have better advice than me , but it sounds like you need to exchange it for another one possibly?? Sounds like a defect if all packaging was properly removed and it's still not working. Does it go through the rollers at all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Paige,
The rollers work fine, but there is no impression on the paper.
I've tried putting a paper pad on top to see if this would help. but still no impression.
I have not yet tried cutting with it.
Bran
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks Paige,
The rollers work fine, but there is no impression on the paper.
I've tried putting a paper pad on top to see if this would help. but still no impression.
I have not yet tried cutting with it.
Bran
When I use my emboss folders in my CB I only have to use the typical sandwich , but if I was to emboss a thin die , or a spellbinders die edge, I need something thinker for the embossing. Spellbinders sell a mat for that, but I didn't have one on hand so I had to come up with my own solution and used a leftover piece of foam core poster board. Works really well but you can only use it a few times before you have to replace it for another piece. I plan to purchase a mat , but in the meantime I can modify .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Can anyone help? PLEASE

Bran74
Are you using the multi-purpose platform? You have to use the platform too when embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I've ordered the new eBosser by Craftwell. I'm excited to see how it works. According to the ads, it will emboss and cut, and it is 8 1/2 by 11". You can use almost any dies and embossing folders.
When I receive it, and get a chance to play, I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Default ended up with.....

the GC. I don't know if it's the best, but it'll do. I have to get the raspberry plate yet but, when I tried to run a new M-Bossabilities (right name?) through a Sizzix machine and realized how hard it was to crank, I knew it was time. Then, with a 55% off coupon and it being in stock @ M's, I took the plunge. I got the basic machine and plates for around $80, tax included. Not bad for a $140 machine.

I'm shy about trying first-generation machines; been burned enough to learn to wait and see.

So, this is where I landed, at least for now. Thx, all, for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

the GC. I don't know if it's the best, but it'll do. I have to get the raspberry plate yet but, when I tried to run a new M-Bossabilities (right name?) through a Sizzix machine and realized how hard it was to crank, I knew it was time. Then, with a 55% off coupon and it being in stock @ M's, I took the plunge. I got the basic machine and plates for around $80, tax included. Not bad for a $140 machine.

I'm shy about trying first-generation machines; been burned enough to learn to wait and see.

So, this is where I landed, at least for now. Thx, all, for the input.
Yay!! Always fun to have a new toy! I'm sure it will be great and happy for you that you found a great deal!!
Reply With Quote Likes