Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are on-line classes worth the time/expense?

Hi fellow crafters! I have been scrapbooking and cardmaking for about 15 years now. Without a local store to use as a resource, I am wondering what thoughts others might have about signing up and participating in on-line classes. I want to learn new techniques BEFORE I buy. So many sites offer "summer camps", etc., but many have HUGE supply lists and are super expensive. I am hoping for an expert opinion and would love to hear about your experiences! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi and welcome from New Zealand! I don't use classes myself (on-line or 'live') but do love cruising through the tutorials listed under 'resources' at the top right of this page. Often they have video clips along with the written instructions which I enjoy watching. Hope this helps!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Many companies have their own tutorials on You Tube that you should check out if you haven't already, it's not so much the technique that I love to see, it's how to use new products since I have a habit of buying things at the store that look neat, but they don't work as I intended them too.

It really depends on what the class is for, any company that wants to sell you a product shouldn't charge you for a class. If there is a particular technique you want to know more about, go for it. I'm curious to see what others have to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I love online classes. I highly recommend the offerings here: Class Info | Stretch Your Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love online classes - I've taken a couple through Online Card Classes (link to latest class was provided by Victoria) and they're great. You have forever access to all of the class materials and videos, so what I do is NOT have everything needed for class before it starts. That way I can watch all the videos, play along if I already own the products and then buy what I decide is a must have for me. I took the Tim Holtz class that way (although, to be honest, I already owned a lot of the products) and there were a couple techniques that I didn't think I'd use enough to bother buying the product. Also, I haven't taken an online class anywhere that didn't tell you to try to use what you have on hand rather than buying every little item on their supply list. Sometimes it's really fun to see if you can duplicate what they're doing with what you already have. I think that's the fun of playing along at home. That and playing along in your jammies with a glass of wine (or beverage of choice) in your hand at any time of day or night! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Ladies, thank you all so much for your comments! I appreciate the reminder that I don't have every supply, that I can use what I have. Which, is pretty much how I scrap any way! Although, sometimes we are introduced to something we just have to have. I've already viewed the link supplied by Victoria (great!) and think I'll sign up for this class. Then I can do as Amanda suggests and play along in my jammies with a glass of wine! Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Hi I'm from the windy city area. I'm not new, but I do have a collection of cardstock , supplies, and embellishments that I found out usually need some kind of tool that the company no longer makes. Love shopping at Tuesday Morning. Ha Ha. I enjoy making cards, searching for tutorials and and have even made a few scrapbook pages for my grandaughters book.
Recently was asked if I would host a cardmaking & scrapbooking "scrap and giggle" to to a few fellow chemo patients like myself. So I am jumping in head first. On off days after treaments I'll sit in my pj's with coffee try to and learn something new. Sometimes I can even have a glass of wine with you.

Last edited by stangermtp; 09-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: proof reading
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Hello Windy City lady! Good luck with your shared classes and best wishes for successful chemo treatments. Sounds like you have a most positive outlook and stress outlet in your crafting! Take care!
Reply With Quote Likes