View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #110
paigewithpanache
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
As I haven't posted anywhere in this conversation, I suppose you could say this is an unbiased answer.
I have a CB, had it for about 3 years, and use it loads. Like you say, it has a very small footprint, its light, so if you are short on space, or have to put it away & get it out when you need it, its ideal. It cuts/embosses perfectly, and never fails me.
Having said that, I was getting a little fed up with seeing loads of dies etc that were too big for my 'bug. Or I wanted to emboss a slightly larger piece of card than would fit through the 'bug. So I looked at what was out there, and came to the conclusion that I wanted to make a 'one-off purchase', a cutter that would not be superseded by a bigger one almost before I got it out of the box!( Over the years I have bought a Quickutz Squeeze, an Original Red Sizzix, my 'Bug).
In the end, I went with the Big Shot Pro,because it would take up to 12x12 card/paper, and every die out there.
Its only 'downside', if you like, is its size- its huge and very heavy, so you need somewhere to set it up and leave it out. But as long as you have room, and I'm lucky enough to have my own room for crafting, then I think its unbeatable. No-one is ever going to come up with dies larger than it can take, you can cut/emboss multiple dies/folders, as long as they are all the same type.
I also have a Silhouette, which I got when they first came out, so its a few years old now. Again, I wanted to not have to buy Alphabets/shapes in one size only. And to be honest, it cost me then roughly the same price as a single Alpha set for the Original Sizzix, so to me it was a bargain.
So I still love & use my 'bug- if I only want to cut/emboss something 'bug sized, lol. I don't think one machine is better than the other, just that the bigger the machine, the more options you have, is all.
Thank you for the information. That is true about CB making the smaller plates, But, they did come out with the longer ones. As far as the width , it would be nice to have the option of fitting 12x12 paper. Sometimes when you are needing to whip up a quick Thank You card or something, it would be nice not to have to take the extra step having to trim down paper to size compatible with machine.
BUT I am extremely tight on space!! So I have to be happy with what I have. I used to have a room just for my sewing and crafts, but we sold that house and have less space and have to share space with husbands office area. Thank goodness my husband has a pretty good sense of humor, because sometimes I will "spread out" when he isn't there, so if he comes home before I get to hide evidence of being over in his space, he will lift the crank handle of my CB and say aw I've always wanted one of these! lol He just smiles while I quickly clean up .