View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
UnderstandBlue
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Bacon Jam

I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart. She did hers in a slow cooker, but I did mine on the stove. This recipe took some of my Facebook friends by STORM - we all made it on the same day, and everyone agrees, it's completely life changingly delicious. If the word "jam" bothers you - it's not really a jam, it's a delicious spread. My fave use of it is on a grilled cheese with tomato and avocado but it's to die for over cream cheese on a cracker or over brie.

After you refrigerate it just warm it slightly in the microwave - about 30 seconds - before eating.

Enjoy!!!

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee (this made me nervous but you MUST use it - you don't taste the coffee but makes it very deeply flavored and yummy)

Directions

In a large skillet (I used a LeCreuset shallow pot), cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine. Simmer until reduced and syrupy - I think mine went 45 min to an hour.

Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks. < Yeah right, if you don't eat it all in one day

Original recipe here. Word to the wise - Lori cooked hers in a crockpot and finished on the stove because she said it wouldn't reduce down in the crockpot - stovetop worked great instead.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!