View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #86
Barbara Jay
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC49 View Post
I think punches will be like the Dodo Bird. In order to keep up with the dies, they are getting larger, heavier and are definitely limited in what kind of materials they will punch.
Storage for punches is one very big headache. The cost of shipping them if you buy on line is prohibitive. Those that are delicate do not seem to always do a good job. Martha Stewart seems to have the best ones.
I agree!! I had a box under my bed full of punches. When Spellbinders came out with the longer edge dies in the Shapeablities Accent sets I started ditching punches and have not bought a new punch in more than a year. I make 5" x 7" cards and the short edge dies didn't work. I also thought the punch around the page sets would be so great to make any size I needed. Well, they will only cut a limited number of prescribed sizes

Dies will never become blunt, but in time the punch blades will become dull and stop cutting properly. Plus I have never found a die that will not cut Gina K's heavy card stock, but I have had numerous punches that will not cut it.
I kept a few of my basic shape SU punches, but little by little the decorative edge punches are being replaced with dies. .