View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #2181
WordTrix
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, Lois! Have felt better the last couple days. Have finished the first part of Little Women and am hoping the second part goes much faster. I am also about a third of the way through A Sand County Almanac. Aldo Leopold was definitely a straight-forward and lyrical writer. Here are a couple examples of his writing:

"January observation can be almost as simple and peaceful as snow, and almost as continuous as cold. There is time not only to see who has done what, but to speculate why." (pg 4)

~*~*~*~

"The wind that makes music in November corn is in a hurry. The stalks hum, the loose husks whisk skyward in half-playful swirls, and the wind hurries on." (pg 70)

~*~*~*~

"Our biases are indeed a sensitive index to our affections, our tastes, our loyalties, our generosities, and our manner of wasting weekends." (pg 77)

~*~*~*~

"Like people, my animals frequently disclose by their actions what they decline to divulge in words. It is difficult to predict when and how one of these disclosures will come to light." (pg 84)

~*~*~*~

"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree—and there will be one." (pg 86)

~*~*~*~

"Why is the shovel regarded as a symbol of drudgery? Perhaps because most shovels are dull. Certainly all drudges have dull shovels, but I am uncertain which of these two facts is cause and which effect." (pg 87)

Heather

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!