Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cricut , Cameo and what else?

I have a CB and LOVE IT!! But I have been thinking about going on the WILD SIDE and try an electronic cutter. :confused: There is so much to choose from that I get overwhelmed! I like not having to use computer in order to use machine, but if there is a lot more options or the value is better, I'm willing to consider it. Any suggestions I would glady appreciate them. Also , I hope to get the best user options for the buck. And work with ease is a plus.
I will add : I do have a Slice that cuts up to 4" and I am very pleased with it, but a friend of mine recently had problems with hers and had very poor results with the customer service, and so I do not want to invest further with those products . Scared. I will just use what I have until the machine fizzles out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

It may not be for you, but I love my Bosskut Gazelle. It does require
a computer to use it and it is more expensive than the options you have mentioned. However, it is 12" wide and cuts things like chipboard and even thin balsa wood which I like. I have found it pretty intuitive and their customer service has been great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, That is one I haven't looked at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to cramos

I purchased a Silhouette Cameo last week. I too have a CB but went with an electric die cutter for scrapbooking. I am still learning the system which does require being connected to a computer, but am pleased with it so far. I have no other electric die cutter to compare it to except the Cricut which I used during class at Michael's. I will say that there is a limit to what it can cut so you definitely have to take that into consideration. Good Luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Im sorry , which one did you refer to as being limited? The Cameo or the Cricut?
Do you know if the Cricut mini and Expression 2 uses same cartridges, or does mini only use program on computer?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sizzix Eclips cuts from both carts and great open design software. It has more force than the Cameo, as well.

Pretty much anything but a Cricut, IMO (and I do have an Expression, so I'm not just hating on the Cricut to be a witch).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
The Sizzix Eclips cuts from both carts and great open design software. It has more force than the Cameo, as well.

Pretty much anything but a Cricut, IMO (and I do have an Expression, so I'm not just hating on the Cricut to be a witch).
I looked at that a little. Will look more. It seamed like eClips was more expensive than the Cricut??? I have to say I absolutely love Sizzix so I know it has to be good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to cramos

According to the Silhouette website it can cut "Paper and cardstock, Adhesive vinyl, Fabric
Heat transfer material, Rhinestone templates, Specialty media." It does not cut chipboard, or thin metals like the Gazzelle. I am not sure if the Cricut mini and expression use the same cartridge. I am guessing they would, but the Cricut mini has to be hooked up to the computer and the expression can stand alone to cut. When I was looking to purchase a machine my paper instructor told me to think about what I would use it for and think about the overall cost. With the Cricut you pay for the machine and the additional money for the cartridges. With the silhouette I paid for the machine and if I want additional cutting designs they cost .99 from the website. I said all of that to say make sure you are getting the machine that will work for your needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Cricut mini doesn't use cartridges. But in defense of the Cricut (and I am a ProvoCraft hater) - I have gotten virtually all of my cartridges brand new from ebay for under $30. With the exception of the CTMH Art Philosophy. Each FULL cart ( so not the Lites or Seasonal) can contain hundreds of images and fonts and creative features (tags, boxes, cards, monograms...etc...).

So I think for me, if I had to pay .99 cents for each image - well I sure wouldn't have very many.
I have also downloaded the entire handbook for each cartridge on my kindle fire so I don't even need to riffle through them. I can browse the images on my tablet. Then do all the editing I want on my Gypsy.

With the Cricut I can score all the boxes with the scoring blade, and even use markers or gel pens to just trace the image with or without cutting. I love my Cricuts. I just hate ProvoCraft because their updates are so unreliable they can kill your machine.

You can get really good Cricut bundles (machine and carts) on ebay from a seller called taymeag(?) something like that. All brand new stuff.

And since they are stand alone machines or don't have to be hooked up to computer unless you want to use Cricut Craft Room.
**** just a caveat ***** right now if you link your cartridges to your gypsy you can't link them to cricut craft room. Just another fine engineering glitch. But "they are working on it".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cramosView Post
According to the Silhouette website it can cut "Paper and cardstock, Adhesive vinyl, Fabric
Heat transfer material, Rhinestone templates, Specialty media." It does not cut chipboard, or thin metals like the Gazzelle. I am not sure if the Cricut mini and expression use the same cartridge. I am guessing they would, but the Cricut mini has to be hooked up to the computer and the expression can stand alone to cut. When I was looking to purchase a machine my paper instructor told me to think about what I would use it for and think about the overall cost. With the Cricut you pay for the machine and the additional money for the cartridges. With the silhouette I paid for the machine and if I want additional cutting designs they cost .99 from the website. I said all of that to say make sure you are getting the machine that will work for your needs.
That is really good info!
Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
The Cricut mini doesn't use cartridges. But in defense of the Cricut (and I am a ProvoCraft hater) - I have gotten virtually all of my cartridges brand new from ebay for under $30. With the exception of the CTMH Art Philosophy. Each FULL cart ( so not the Lites or Seasonal) can contain hundreds of images and fonts and creative features (tags, boxes, cards, monograms...etc...).

So I think for me, if I had to pay .99 cents for each image - well I sure wouldn't have very many.
I have also downloaded the entire handbook for each cartridge on my kindle fire so I don't even need to riffle through them. I can browse the images on my tablet. Then do all the editing I want on my Gypsy.

With the Cricut I can score all the boxes with the scoring blade, and even use markers or gel pens to just trace the image with or without cutting. I love my Cricuts. I just hate ProvoCraft because their updates are so unreliable they can kill your machine.

You can get really good Cricut bundles (machine and carts) on ebay from a seller called taymeag(?) something like that. All brand new stuff.

And since they are stand alone machines or don't have to be hooked up to computer unless you want to use Cricut Craft Room.
**** just a caveat ***** right now if you link your cartridges to your gypsy you can't link them to cricut craft room. Just another fine engineering glitch. But "they are working on it".
Good information too. I have a Kindle Fire as well and like the idea of that. (thumbs up). Thanks for all the tips. If you think of anything else let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have several Cricut machines; Expression, E2, Imagine and even a Cricut Cake machine. Overall, I love my Expression the most! It is so versatile. Like a previous poster said above I too have spent no more than $30.00,on a cartridge. If you want to purchase digital images you can from the Cricut site. My advice would be to visit the die cutting sites and forums to see what is the best fit for you. Also Cricut has a bundle special going on right now on their website at Cricut.com. you get an expression and other items for a phenomenal price. Good luck with your decision.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
But in defense of the Cricut (and I am a ProvoCraft hater) - I
sewnmachine- I got the biggest laugh out of your quote. ROFL. I feel the same way. I get so paranoid to update. I just know one day my machines will blow up and PC is always working on something. Usually it's not a fix for our machines, lol. It seems so many Cricut users defend that poor little machine and hate the company.

I have gotten my carts off Ebay too for less than $20. Only time I paid full price was when my DH bought me the Cricut when it first came out. He bought 4 of the cartridges at $90 a piece. I have over 100 cartridges now and most of them have been free or gifts. The rest of my collection averages to about $20 a piece. I have bought full cartridges, brand new for only $5. I have my manuals stored on my computer and a separate SD card for my Nook Tablet. I get so mad at PC I could scream but I really do love the Cricut for the images. I am just not really into Silhouette's designs. They are beautiful but not my style. I hardly buy anything at their store.

Die Cutters- I have a Gazelle, Cameo, Cricut Imagine, & Create. I use my Create & Gazelle the most. I am thinking my Imagine is going to start getting used a lot more since I can refill the ink cartridges. I am pretty excited about that.

Love the Cricut for the images and it can be easy if PC is not messing with it.

Gazelle is a powerful cutter. I have done a lot of reviews of it over here. I use it for all my heavy duty cutting like balsa wood, foam, thick papers, & chipboard. It's also my design cutter. I design a lot of my own work and cut it out with the Gazelle. BossKut puts a lot of love into the Gazelle. Their customer support is hands down best in the plotter industry. They really care about making you happy when you buy the machine.

Cameo- She is my intricate cutter. I use it for intricate cutting like doilies, laces and miniatures. No machine is better on the market for miniatures than the Cameo, hands down. You work in miniatures this is the machine you need. I also use the Cameo for all my Print & Cut. I do a lot of intricate Print & Cut designs. Cameo is a lightweight machine so you won't be able to cut heavy materials. It was made to be a light machine that does intricate cutting.

Also on the market is the Sizzix Eclips, also an excellent machine. Sizzix is trusted in the die cutting market and has loyal customers. I think Sizzix to die cutting girls is our Craftsman. KNK Zing- Powerful machine for a great price. Can be a bit too powerful for a lot of users. KNK is an excellent company with a long history in the plotter market.

All the cutters I mentioned above are the hot ones on the market now. They are also the ones with the best customer service, except PC (which sadly most of know that :().

My advice is take the above list and google some blogs and you tube videos. If you go to forums look for the experienced users and not fans of the machines. The fans are great but they are still on the "high" of their loved machine, understandably. You will buy the cutter, get it in and might hate it, think the fans are half baked for recommending the machine. If you are interested in one of the machines just give me a holler and I can give you some names of the experienced users for those machines who will be glad to help. They post on the respective forums for those machines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn, excellent post and review of machines. Totally agree with you on the ProvoCraft review. I too love my machines but disappointed with some of PC's lack of customer service. Overall though, I have not been disappointed with my products and what they have done for me. I hesitate to use the word "hater" of PC because I am not to that point with them yet. Although, I know others may feel different. I do think that the company jumps around too much with products and does not concentrate on perfecting one thing at a time. Drives me as a crafter nuts!

Anyway, I do have a question for you. Where are you going to get your Imagine ink cartridges refilled? I would love to know. I have purchased several black ink cartridges but need more color ones. If you could share with me I would appreciate.

Also, found your input on the Cameo very interesting. I have heard that machine is wonderful for intricate cuts. If I had not invested so much in my Cricut products I would probably purchase one of those machines. Of course, if I find a good sale who knows?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all the help!!
All the great tips and suggestions led me to do some searches...stumbled across even another option to add to the basket - eCraft by Craftwell. Any of you know anything about those? Looks really good. No mats needed and you have option to use with or without computer. And isn't high dollar. Any good input ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
DeeAnn, excellent post and review of machines. Totally agree with you on the ProvoCraft review. I too love my machines but disappointed with some of PC's lack of customer service. Overall though, I have not been disappointed with my products and what they have done for me. I hesitate to use the word "hater" of PC because I am not to that point with them yet. Although, I know others may feel different. I do think that the company jumps around too much with products and does not concentrate on perfecting one thing at a time. Drives me as a crafter nuts!

Anyway, I do have a question for you. Where are you going to get your Imagine ink cartridges refilled? I would love to know. I have purchased several black ink cartridges but need more color ones. If you could share with me I would appreciate.

Also, found your input on the Cameo very interesting. I have heard that machine is wonderful for intricate cuts. If I had not invested so much in my Cricut products I would probably purchase one of those machines. Of course, if I find a good sale who knows?
Thank you for the kind words. You can take your cartridges to any of the ink refill businesses and they will refill them for you. Several of the Imagine girls I have talked too have done this with great success. You won't get that "archival" quality ink that PC boasted about. I actually think the prints look nicer. HP is not producing our ink cartridges any more. Apparently they stopped last year.

My DH figured out how to refill the cartridges with the refill system I own for my other HP printer. My friend sent me this Cricut MB post a couple of weeks ago wanting to know if it would work. My DH uses the same method as this lady- Ink Cartridge - Imagine Machine [2000562] - Cricut Forums

She explains it a lot better than I could.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by paigewithpanacheView Post
Thank you so much for all the help!!
All the great tips and suggestions led me to do some searches...stumbled across even another option to add to the basket - eCraft by Craftwell. Any of you know anything about those? Looks really good. No mats needed and you have option to use with or without computer. And isn't high dollar. Any good input ?
I am familiar with eCraft. It has mixed reviews. It does have a cult following. My personal opinion of the machine I do like the colors. I am one of those girls who like pretty things so the pretty colors are a plus. It is the machine that can cut an almost perfect circle. None of the machines can cut a 360 degree circle. It's just not mathematically possible. This is what I have learned in my years of die cutting. Ecraft and Cameo come the closest. My two plusses, as you can see, are not heart stopping buy it now plusses. Never buy a cutter because it's pretty.

What I don't like with the machine is that your cuts have little chads. This is how the machine uses no mats. Think Coluzzle here. Even though I love my Coluzzle I don't want that with a machine. I can't Print & Cut. I am sure you could with a hinge method which a lot of times can work better than the laser method.

I always kind of forget the eCraft exists because it's such a quiet company. That is not a bad thing though. Instead of being popular one they might be the steady cutter company. My advice is see if one of your LSS know where you might be able to test one.

Here's the eCraft cutter yahoo group- eCraft_Crafters : eCraft_Crafters It doesn't seem very active at the moment. I would join anyway and read the messages to get an idea of the cutter. I am pretty sure this was the group of beta testers for that cutter too.

I think there are a couple of Ecraft experts on the MTC forum.

This sweet lady is one of the known experts on the E-craft- Purple Paper Paradise. I am pretty sure she helped beta test the machine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Thank you for the kind words. You can take your cartridges to any of the ink refill businesses and they will refill them for you. Several of the Imagine girls I have talked too have done this with great success. You won't get that "archival" quality ink that PC boasted about. I actually think the prints look nicer. HP is not producing our ink cartridges any more. Apparently they stopped last year.

My DH figured out how to refill the cartridges with the refill system I own for my other HP printer. My friend sent me this Cricut MB post a couple of weeks ago wanting to know if it would work. My DH uses the same method as this lady- Ink Cartridge - Imagine Machine [2000562] - Cricut Forums

She explains it a lot better than I could.
Thanks so much for the information! Will definitely be using this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I am familiar with eCraft. It has mixed reviews. It does have a cult following. My personal opinion of the machine I do like the colors. I am one of those girls who like pretty things so the pretty colors are a plus. It is the machine that can cut an almost perfect circle. None of the machines can cut a 360 degree circle. It's just not mathematically possible. This is what I have learned in my years of die cutting. Ecraft and Cameo come the closest. My two plusses, as you can see, are not heart stopping buy it now plusses. Never buy a cutter because it's pretty.

What I don't like with the machine is that your cuts have little chads. This is how the machine uses no mats. Think Coluzzle here. Even though I love my Coluzzle I don't want that with a machine. I can't Print & Cut. I am sure you could with a hinge method which a lot of times can work better than the laser method.

I always kind of forget the eCraft exists because it's such a quiet company. That is not a bad thing though. Instead of being popular one they might be the steady cutter company. My advice is see if one of your LSS know where you might be able to test one.

Here's the eCraft cutter yahoo group- eCraft_Crafters : eCraft_Crafters It doesn't seem very active at the moment. I would join anyway and read the messages to get an idea of the cutter. I am pretty sure this was the group of beta testers for that cutter too.

I think there are a couple of Ecraft experts on the MTC forum.

This sweet lady is one of the known experts on the E-craft- Purple Paper Paradise. I am pretty sure she helped beta test the machine.
Thank you...I'm glad you know so much! Really appreciate your patience.
I would never base my decision on looks. Size is a factor, and if it happens to be Pink , woo hoo ! I will gladly look at the information you provided . The inside mechanics of the machine on video I had watched looked like it is a well made machine. Not a lot of plasticy parts, (maybe I should say as much). So I will look into what you gave me. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I looked into information you gave me . If there is a problem with edge then people use a piece of paper/card stock and reuse it later if they need to. You can adjust tension so that it doesn't cut through to that paper on bottom. I don't know, kind of frustrating because a LSS is 2 hours away for me so I lack the ability for good assistance in hands on trying out anything. :/ I have to get most supplies by MO and so far haven't had to deal with having to return anything and have had good success. That's why I'm so thankful for the good information I get here because that is the only way I get it.
Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've only had two cutters. The first was the Gazelle. Not to dismiss the experience of others, but that was the worst machine & customer service I've ever experienced.
When I was having problems I posted in their forums - 9 times out of 10 I got responses that told me that the machine was awesome (helpful how? implying stupidity on my part?). The help videos had no sound and the pop up boxes (with written directions) were often covered with the controls used to play the video. The software was wonky, often causing my laptop to freeze or blue screen. The "free" cut files included with the software were often incomplete (as in the cut lines didn't line up) and I was told that they *knew* that the free files weren't very good, but they weren't from BossKut so there was nothing to be done. The machine/software (quite literally) had me in tears more than once, and the c/s and forums made me feel like a complete moron. The most disheartening thing was that there were NO poor reviews. Everyone out there seems to thing BossKut is the bomb - maybe I'm just the odd man out?:confused:
DH finally sold the Gazelle and bought me a Cameo. Now, I don't know what sort of things you want to cut, but for me it was a fantastic solution. C/S has been all that I could wish for and there are a million clear, helpful videos posted on YouTube by tons of different users. Don't like one person's teaching style? Find another!
And yes, you do get a bunch of free files (with pretty much all cutters I think) but then you have to buy individual files from the store. Hmmm, not entirely true. I've done tracing with free jpeg/gif images from the web and it's worked amazingly well. And there are plenty of sales, clearance images and a free shape of the week (every Tuesday).
I think the first thing to consider is what you want to cut, then how important it is that you don't have to connect to your computer. It's a very personal decision based on your style.
Isn't it awesome to face a tough decision that will ultimately make you happy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshijaView Post
I've only had two cutters. The first was the Gazelle. Not to dismiss the experience of others, but that was the worst machine & customer service I've ever experienced.
When I was having problems I posted in their forums - 9 times out of 10 I got responses that told me that the machine was awesome (helpful how? implying stupidity on my part?). The help videos had no sound and the pop up boxes (with written directions) were often covered with the controls used to play the video. The software was wonky, often causing my laptop to freeze or blue screen. The "free" cut files included with the software were often incomplete (as in the cut lines didn't line up) and I was told that they *knew* that the free files weren't very good, but they weren't from BossKut so there was nothing to be done. The machine/software (quite literally) had me in tears more than once, and the c/s and forums made me feel like a complete moron. The most disheartening thing was that there were NO poor reviews. Everyone out there seems to thing BossKut is the bomb - maybe I'm just the odd man out?:confused:
DH finally sold the Gazelle and bought me a Cameo. Now, I don't know what sort of things you want to cut, but for me it was a fantastic solution. C/S has been all that I could wish for and there are a million clear, helpful videos posted on YouTube by tons of different users. Don't like one person's teaching style? Find another!
And yes, you do get a bunch of free files (with pretty much all cutters I think) but then you have to buy individual files from the store. Hmmm, not entirely true. I've done tracing with free jpeg/gif images from the web and it's worked amazingly well. And there are plenty of sales, clearance images and a free shape of the week (every Tuesday).
I think the first thing to consider is what you want to cut, then how important it is that you don't have to connect to your computer. It's a very personal decision based on your style.
Boy is it ever! haha And since I can't hands on try it out first makes it hard too!
I understand completely the frustration though, and that's what I'm of is if I were to have problems I would be stuck and have no where to take it. :/
That is why Cricut is such a popular product because Hob Lob and Joann's carry them and most areas have those stores(about 30 miles for me) and you have a return location if need be. ...Silhouette Cameo or the eCraft (the most right now) are the 2 that I have been tossing around.But it seamed as though there was something about the Silhouette that I was a little concerned about but can't remember what it is now?? Read to much stuff I guess lol .
For the most part it will be for card making/ scrapbooking , but if I am paying a lot of money for something, I want more options with it because I do like to do a wide variety of crafts. I will have to look up more on Silhouette I guess so I can get more confused lol.
If you think of anything else let me know .
Thanks,
Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I looked into information you gave me . If there is a problem with edge then people use a piece of paper/card stock and reuse it later if they need to. You can adjust tension so that it doesn't cut through to that paper on bottom. I don't know, kind of frustrating because a LSS is 2 hours away for me so I lack the ability for good assistance in hands on trying out anything. :/ I have to get most supplies by MO and so far haven't had to deal with having to return anything and have had good success. That's why I'm so thankful for the good information I get here because that is the only way I get it.
Paige
That sounds like the machine does need some kind of mat to give it stability. I wouldn't like that at all, personally for me. It would drive me batty.

I do understand about ordering things online and needing to send it back. My Cricut I can return it to the store. I bought my first Wishblade at HSN so I knew I had a good return policy. I got my Cameo at Overstock so I felt good about a return policy. I already had my feet wet with the Wishblade (both machines made by same company) so I knew what I was getting into with the Cameo. The Gazelle I was very hesitant about buying because of return. Then I found out BK is in the Ozarks and just an hour away from me.

I will admit when the Cameo first came in if I could return it to a Brick & Mortar store I would have. I opened the box, saw the machine, was impressed, opened the lid, saw the blade holder, took the blade holder out and I was really mad. I am a green girl and it really made me mad that I could not replace the blade but I have to replace the whole blade holder. I try not to include that in my reviews because I did one time and got called a petty hippie on another forum. I preferred the blade holder in my Silhouette SD & Wishblade. I can replace the blade and not have to replace the blade holder. I also don't like how flimsy the machine is. One good fall bye bye Cameo. In my home falls happen.

Since I ordered the Cameo at Overstock I felt bad returning it for no reason since everything else was wonderful. Do I love the Cameo? I do very much. I love Graphtec machines. I said earlier in the post you can't beat a Cameo or other Graphtec machine for miniature cutting. Graphtec machines are hands down best for detailed cutting. Cameo is just it for detailed cutting in the crafting market. I do really hate the blade holder and how flimsy the machine is. I miss being able to cut in Inkscape. I don't like being limited to Silhouette Design Studio, MTC or SCAL for my cutting needs. I am a power cutter and I do get nit picky.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshijaView Post
I do love my Gazelle. You have such valid and important points. Kind of long post.

I have known the girls on the Gazelle forum a long time. Most of them were around when the Gazelle was being created. Back then I didn't have any interest in one. Those girls are just sweeties but they are really hard core in the industry. I agree there is too much hand holding on the forum. Have a problem? Call. Need an answer? Call and go through steps with the machine. That is great for so many people. It's a powerful machine and people do need that type of customer service. I on the other hand absolutely HATE that. Give me an answer and let me figure it out myself. I have felt stupid asking a question too and a little hurt.

When I said the machine was too loud I was told to stick it on a towel. I was really hurt by that answer. It made me feel discriminated against that I have ear damage that causes sensitivity to sound. I told them that and they still made me feel stupid. The towel would muffle the sound. The machine is not really that loud. Yes, it is! Jin did a decibel test it's LOUD! The machine has been in our garage ever since used for vinyl heavy duty work. That's where loud machines go. I still use it for my design machine but I am tired of the garage. I am a girly girl. That's the man domain.

I do recommend the videos because well, there are no videos for the Gazelle out there. I am not going to make any, lol. I also recommend the videos because Funtime has a huge learning curve. I hope watching the videos helps people decide if that cutter is for them or not. I do agree the videos have no sound and the pop up boxes are an annoyance. I am like you I need to find videos my style. I am listening to a Hello Kitty haul video right now and she's playing Backstreet Boys on her radio. I am in heaven. I know I am an earth geek girl BSB/HK fan. Sorry girls.

I can give the Gazelle some bad pointers to make you feel better. The USB cord looks like a snake. One of my friends almost had a cardiac arrest when she saw the cord on my desk. I am not joking. She's terrified of snakes. I donated the cord after that. It leaves these little black streaks on your desk from the feet. I have an antique desk I don't want black streaks on my desk or risk hurting my desk trying to get the black streaks off. The machine is loud. I hate the dongle. Who uses dongle's anymore? My new embroidery machine doesn't even use a dongle.

I love the Gazelle because I can use it in a variety of software programs. I can throw the thing and it bounces right back. I can cut heavy items with it. I don't have to worry about my DH's car friends getting grease on it since it's got black steaky lines already, lol. It's a great accurate cutter and she's small, metal and well built. DH & I are thinking of selling it next year for a heavy duty Roland Cutter on a rolling stand that can make car skins.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I do love my Gazelle. You have such valid and important points. Kind of long post.

I have known the girls on the Gazelle forum a long time. Most of them were around when the Gazelle was being created. Back then I didn't have any interest in one. Those girls are just sweeties but they are really hard core in the industry. I agree there is too much hand holding on the forum. Have a problem? Call. Need an answer? Call and go through steps with the machine. That is great for so many people. It's a powerful machine and people do need that type of customer service. I on the other hand absolutely HATE that. Give me an answer and let me figure it out myself. I have felt stupid asking a question too and a little hurt.

When I said the machine was too loud I was told to stick it on a towel. I was really hurt by that answer. It made me feel discriminated against that I have ear damage that causes sensitivity to sound. I told them that and they still made me feel stupid. The towel would muffle the sound. The machine is not really that loud. Yes, it is! Jin did a decibel test it's LOUD! The machine has been in our garage ever since used for vinyl heavy duty work. That's where loud machines go. I still use it for my design machine but I am tired of the garage. I am a girly girl. That's the man domain.

I do recommend the videos because well, there are no videos for the Gazelle out there. I am not going to make any, lol. I also recommend the videos because Funtime has a huge learning curve. I hope watching the videos helps people decide if that cutter is for them or not. I do agree the videos have no sound and the pop up boxes are an annoyance. I am like you I need to find videos my style. I am listening to a Hello Kitty haul video right now and she's playing Backstreet Boys on her radio. I am in heaven. I know I am an earth geek girl BSB/HK fan. Sorry girls.

I can give the Gazelle some bad pointers to make you feel better. The USB cord looks like a snake. One of my friends almost had a cardiac arrest when she saw the cord on my desk. I am not joking. She's terrified of snakes. I donated the cord after that. It leaves these little black streaks on your desk from the feet. I have an antique desk I don't want black streaks on my desk or risk hurting my desk trying to get the black streaks off. The machine is loud. I hate the dongle. Who uses dongle's anymore? My new embroidery machine doesn't even use a dongle.

I love the Gazelle because I can use it in a variety of software programs. I can throw the thing and it bounces right back. I can cut heavy items with it. I don't have to worry about my DH's car friends getting grease on it since it's got black steaky lines already, lol. It's a great accurate cutter and she's small, metal and well built. DH & I are thinking of selling it next year for a heavy duty Roland Cutter on a rolling stand that can make car skins.
lol you sound like you could be my sister I am always looking at things and hate seeing needless waste, like BSB and have a need for Pink( went through HK thing with my girls haha). To bad your not , I could try all your machines! And if your in Ozarks your not tremendously far from me , but then my hubby wouldn't like for me to see all the fun gadgets for fear I would want yo buy them all! lol (He is actually very good with me about my stuff- he knows it makes me happy).
Anyway.... I know I couldn't get the Gazelle mostly because of the cost. I know that sounds silly , and since I do such a wide variety of crafts and love trying new things, there may come a day that I regret not getting a machine that would cut Balsa wood , etc... :/ eCraft is still tempting and have mixed feelings about the Cameo. Cameo probably would work out good for me though because I do like some intricate details and lace things. ...
I should scroll up and read because you have probably said something about the Cricut line, but I can't remember sorry. Just curious at this point if the Cricut may be less complicated since if I happen to be by a chain store that sells supplies, I may have more ease of purchase and returning if need be?? My husbands niece has a Cricut Create and LOVES it! ... but then she is also just into scrapbooking and is more simple with crafting ideas, so it's hard for me to go with what she likes in itself. (She doesn't even know what model she has, I had to figure it out myself by questions I asked).
HSN has a really good deal on ecraft. Tempting, but sale may be over when I am ready to buy(next month).
I really appreciate the input!!
Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for the sweet words. Brought a huge smile to my face. BSB fans have to stick together you know.

If you want a heavy duty machine that is not high cost the Sizzix Eclips seems to be running for $299 with Ecal on some sites. I know the CraftEdge forum members probably have updated lists where to buy. That is about $50-75 more than the Cameo. You are getting double pressure the machine. Sizzix consumables are affordable. Since it's a Roland machine you can buy blades on Ebay for around 3/$5.00. Cartridges are affordable around $25. If you get Ecal bundled with the machine you can cut out designs you find on the net. I know some craft stores are carrying the Eclips. I live in a good size city and have yet to see the Eclips though.

Cricut- I love my Cricut. I love my little Create. I do have an Imagine that I like. I started with Cricut when it first came out. Not to bring up all the Cricut drama that a lot of people are still heated about. In the last few years Cricut has been plagued with problems. It seems like they fix one and screw up ten. I don't trust the company that makes the machine.

The big thing with Cricut is that you can't use third party software to cut with any more. Unless you have the software before the lawsuits. Even then you have to worry that an update will make you lose that function. That is the one thing about PC nowadays they have a love for updating. You buy a cart, you have to update. You look at the machine, you have to update. It's beyond nutty. .

Cricut is nice because you can use it standalone and not be tied to your computer. But, PC seems to be moving over to digital. You can buy supplies at the store but I buy my blades off of Ebay because I get higher quality and quantity for a cheaper price. I do love the designs on the cartridges but PC can do an update and mess up your designs on a cartridge especially for us Imagine users.

I do think the company is improving with their new CEO but it also seems like their bumbling too. They have some creepy business practices like taking screenshots of Cricut posts on other forums. I found out I am one of those they screenshot. Waving hi to the screenshot people. I found out because one of their support members told me so and then said she was going to post them. Maybe I am overreacting. I have been a victim of a stalking crime but I think that is super creepy. To be honest it's kind of hard for me to review the Cricut right now because one part of me as an artist feels like that's an important tool in my arsenal that's a good little machine The other part makes me feel like my tool is stalking me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thank you for the sweet words. Brought a huge smile to my face. BSB fans have to stick together you know.

If you want a heavy duty machine that is not high cost the Sizzix Eclips seems to be running for $299 with Ecal on some sites. I know the CraftEdge forum members probably have updated lists where to buy. That is about $50-75 more than the Cameo. You are getting double pressure the machine. Sizzix consumables are affordable. Since it's a Roland machine you can buy blades on Ebay for around 3/$5.00. Cartridges are affordable around $25. If you get Ecal bundled with the machine you can cut out designs you find on the net. I know some craft stores are carrying the Eclips. I live in a good size city and have yet to see the Eclips though.

Cricut- I love my Cricut. I love my little Create. I do have an Imagine that I like. I started with Cricut when it first came out. Not to bring up all the Cricut drama that a lot of people are still heated about. In the last few years Cricut has been plagued with problems. It seems like they fix one and screw up ten. I don't trust the company that makes the machine.

The big thing with Cricut is that you can't use third party software to cut with any more. Unless you have the software before the lawsuits. Even then you have to worry that an update will make you lose that function. That is the one thing about PC nowadays they have a love for updating. You buy a cart, you have to update. You look at the machine, you have to update. It's beyond nutty. .

Cricut is nice because you can use it standalone and not be tied to your computer. But, PC seems to be moving over to digital. You can buy supplies at the store but I buy my blades off of Ebay because I get higher quality and quantity for a cheaper price. I do love the designs on the cartridges but PC can do an update and mess up your designs on a cartridge especially for us Imagine users.

I do think the company is improving with their new CEO but it also seems like their bumbling too. They have some creepy business practices like taking screenshots of Cricut posts on other forums. I found out I am one of those they screenshot. Waving hi to the screenshot people. I found out because one of their support members told me so and then said she was going to post them. Maybe I am overreacting. I have been a victim of a stalking crime but I think that is super creepy. To be honest it's kind of hard for me to review the Cricut right now because one part of me as an artist feels like that's an important tool in my arsenal that's a good little machine The other part makes me feel like my tool is stalking me.
Thumbs up! Yes we do!
I just looked up Sizzix eClips website and watched a little short video...Wow !! I may have found it!!! They have new update for machine and now you can incorporate a pen or glue pen for applying glitter. I want to play with it!! lol I need to looks for some deals! ;) *You know how kids can't sleep because they know they are going to Disney?? Yeah well this big kid will be that way anticipating my new machine!! haha *
And what you said in your comment above, that is creepy! I wouldn't think they could do that anyway without your permission.
Thanks again
Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thumbs up! Yes we do!
I just looked up Sizzix eClips website and watched a little short video...Wow !! I may have found it!!! They have new update for machine and now you can incorporate a pen or glue pen for applying glitter. I want to play with it!! lol I need to looks for some deals! ;) *You know how kids can't sleep because they know they are going to Disney?? Yeah well this big kid will be that way anticipating my new machine!! haha *
And what you said in your comment above, that is creepy! I wouldn't think they could do that anyway without your permission.
Thanks again
Paige
Do you know where they have them for $299 ?? The cheapest I found was 399.99 & then eCal software is about $75 ....I can't dish out $500 in a wake like that :/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've yet to get into the electronic cutting, my SIL loves her cricuts has several. So when needed I've borrowed hers. I couldn't afford to buy all the cartridges I would want/need even on sale.

Interested to hear what you finally get, Paige. Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
I've yet to get into the electronic cutting, my SIL loves her cricuts has several. So when needed I've borrowed hers. I couldn't afford to buy all the cartridges I would want/need even on sale.

Interested to hear what you finally get, Paige. Please keep us posted.
Well it is frustrating because when I think I have it figured out, something ends up being discouraging or the price is to much. :( It is looking as though I'm just complicating my life trying to get something electronic?? Kind of discouraged about it right now I guess. :/ I really love my CB , Punches, and Nestabilities, so maybe I should be content?? Unless I come across what I'm looking for with the price value to go with it, I may put the idea on back burner for now. I will let you know if I end up with one though. Thanks
Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Do you know where they have them for $299 ?? The cheapest I found was 399.99 & then eCal software is about $75 ....I can't dish out $500 in a wake like that :/
Here's an Eclips $299 bundled with Ecal and a $20 gift card at SVGCuts- https://punkinpatchstamps.com/sizzix-eclips

OhMyCrafts has the Eclips for $269 without Ecal & $289 with Ecal. You have to choose the drop down box to get Ecal. Here's that link- Oh My Crafts is an Authorized SIZZIX Dealer! Sizzix Eclips Machine: Starter Kit

If you do buy from OMC you can find coupon codes a lot to make your purchase cheaper.

The CraftEdge forum will be a great place to learn everything about Ecal. Ecal is SCAL but it's called Ecal since it was configured for the Eclips. You can't use SCAL on the Eclips. Everyone over at this forum are really sweet and super smart so they can give you tons of tips and tricks. Here's the forum- Craft Edge • Index page. Some of the member might know where to get the Eclips even cheaper than the two places I know about.

If anyone is looking for a Cameo OMC (above link) always has good deals but I think they are on backorder for the Cameo's.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Here's an Eclips $299 bundled with Ecal and a $20 gift card at SVGCuts- https://punkinpatchstamps.com/sizzix-eclips

OhMyCrafts has the Eclips for $269 without Ecal & $289 with Ecal. You have to choose the drop down box to get Ecal. Here's that link- Oh My Crafts is an Authorized SIZZIX Dealer! Sizzix Eclips Machine: Starter Kit

If you do buy from OMC you can find coupon codes a lot to make your purchase cheaper.

The CraftEdge forum will be a great place to learn everything about Ecal. Ecal is SCAL but it's called Ecal since it was configured for the Eclips. You can't use SCAL on the Eclips. Everyone over at this forum are really sweet and super smart so they can give you tons of tips and tricks. Here's the forum- Craft Edge • Index page. Some of the member might know where to get the Eclips even cheaper than the two places I know about.

If anyone is looking for a Cameo OMC (above link) always has good deals but I think they are on backorder for the Cameo's.
Thank you!!! I was getting discouraged about the whole thing :/ I just hope they will still offer that in Oct. when I can make a purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thank you!!! I was getting discouraged about the whole thing :/ I just hope they will still offer that in Oct. when I can make a purchase.
I'd like to mention- the punkin patch website has 30 day return policy on UNused merchandise...how do they expect people to know if it is a defective machine without trying it out?? And OMC is 30 day, but they do not say unused or unopened, so you at least have some time to try it out and make sure machine isn't defective. So if you plan to purchase, wait until you don't have a super busy month so you have plenty of time to try it out before return policy expires.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great suggestion Paige, on using the machine. Starting to watch the youtube videos and other information...still can't commit to buy anything yet.....but you've certainly helped now I need to decide do I need it or do I want it.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
Great suggestion Paige, on using the machine. Starting to watch the youtube videos and other information...still can't commit to buy anything yet.....but you've certainly helped now I need to decide do I need it or do I want it.....
Technically, its not a NEED for me, but I think I like to challenge various ways of creativity. I just think I would really enjoy it ...you know, I would have even more options in what I would like to make. I am begining to think, something I normally wouldn't do... look for a used one. That way I can use it enough to see if I really want to make that kind of an investment or not. So I am on the lookout now I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I'd like to mention- the punkin patch website has 30 day return policy on UNused merchandise...how do they expect people to know if it is a defective machine without trying it out?? And OMC is 30 day, but they do not say unused or unopened, so you at least have some time to try it out and make sure machine isn't defective. So if you plan to purchase, wait until you don't have a super busy month so you have plenty of time to try it out before return policy expires.
Wow that is strict policy for a store. I understand certain items but an electronic machine. What if you open the box and everything was smashed during shipping. I know my DH would be cussing them out. Do they have a number you can call and ask about that policy? I never ordered from Pumpkin Patch but I thought they would be a good store since they are affiliated with SVGCuts. I have ordered from OMC. I always had great service from them but they can be a little slow on shipping but I think they have gotten better over the years.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

So to announce...
I will soon be a proud (hopefully) owner of a Cricut Create! I decided to go that route and try it out first before I really invested in one. I bought a used one on ebay and seller had 100% feedback...so hopefully it will be a really good learning experience and not a headache. :/
Everyone has been EXTREMELY helpful and will now have all this great information for future purchase. But now I have another question, scal or any program like that work for the Cricut Create? Any friendly tips my SCS friends?? Or cartridges for sale?? lol
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So to announce...
I will soon be a proud (hopefully) owner of a Cricut Create! I decided to go that route and try it out first before I really invested in one. I bought a used one on ebay and seller had 100% feedback...so hopefully it will be a really good learning experience and not a headache. :/
Everyone has been EXTREMELY helpful and will now have all this great information for future purchase. But now I have another question, scal or any program like that work for the Cricut Create? Any friendly tips my SCS friends?? Or cartridges for sale?? lol
Thanks!!
Congrats on your purchase! I think you will love your Cricut machine. However, Cricut products cannot be used with SCAL as it is a propriety issue with Provo Craft. You can however, go to Cricut.com and set up a free account with Cricut Craft Room. You can purchase digital carts from Cricut.com in the Shopping section if that is the route you want to take. Or, purchase some cartridges that appeal to you. Joann's and Michael's have cartridges on sale right now if you are going to do that. Keep in mind you can use either digital or independent cartridges as long as they Provo Craft for the Cricut machine. I would suggest joining the Cricut community where you can get ideas and suggestions. That is also a free site unless you want to become a Circle member. Let me know what you decide and if you have any questions you can pm me too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Congrats on your purchase! I think you will love your Cricut machine. However, Cricut products cannot be used with SCAL as it is a propriety issue with Provo Craft. You can however, go to Cricut.com and set up a free account with Cricut Craft Room. You can purchase digital carts from Cricut.com in the Shopping section if that is the route you want to take. Or, purchase some cartridges that appeal to you. Joann's and Michael's have cartridges on sale right now if you are going to do that. Keep in mind you can use either digital or independent cartridges as long as they Provo Craft for the Cricut machine. I would suggest joining the Cricut community where you can get ideas and suggestions. That is also a free site unless you want to become a Circle member. Let me know what you decide and if you have any questions you can pm me too.
Thank you! Where do I find the community, is it in their website?
I am really excited about trying out my new little machine! The Imagine cartridges are the only ones that will not work on the Create right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you! Where do I find the community, is it in their website?
I am really excited about trying out my new little machine! The Imagine cartridges are the only ones that will not work on the Create right?
The website is www.cricut.com click on the Community button and you can join the regular forum for free. If you want to sign up for the Circle Community (I am a Circle member) then you will need to go to the Shopping button and you can sign up there. You receive a years membership and a cartridge (I think there a 3 choices) for $79.99. I LOVE my Circle membership! You also receive free shipping and 10% off any purchases as a Circle Member. Of course, this is totally optional. I enjoy my membership for the friendships mainly.

You are correct that you can't use the Imagine carts with the Create. They will not fit in the slot for the machine. Personally, if you are considering an Imagine, I would wait. It seems that PC is trying to either discontinue the machine but not sure. I have one and it works fine for me. However, a lot of people have issues with it and now HP is no longer making inks for it. So, a lot going on and you can find out more on the Cricut forums if interested. Hope this helps!

Happy Cricuteering!!! If you lived near me I would invite you over. I have Cricut Club meets at my house from time to time. A bunch of us gals get together and make cards and scrapbook pages. Lots of fun!

Reply With Quote Likes