Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Silhouette Cameo questions

I have read the threads I could find discussing the Silhouette Cameo. I have also watched YouTube videos and found the Silhouette Blog

I have never owned an electronic die cutting machine, however the cost to buy and the space to store dies is getting me down. Plus often they are not the size I want.
My kids give me money for Mother's Day and I am seriously considering A Silhouette Cameo

I have a Mac

I have read about "Sure Cuts A lot" and "Make the Cut" software.
Will they work on a Silhouette Cameo?
The SCAL site says it works on a Mac, but only mentions Silhouette SD, not Cameo.

And the Make the Cut site says it works with Silhouette Cameo, but only says it works with Windows.
:confused:

How hard are these programs to learn?

Also is there a place I can see the designs that come "with" the machine? I saw the site where they sell images for 99�
I don't have any kids so the kiddy images would be of no use to me
Sorry for all the questions, but electonic cutters are a new world for me
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I will start out and give one big con to the Silhouette. It really only cuts lighter material. If your wanting to cut out heavier items like acetate, thin type wood, shrinky dinks, etc you will want to look into a heavier duty machine. I throw that con out first because a lot of people buy Silhouette machines and nine times out of ten they upgrade to a heavier duty machine.

I do want to add that some new Cameo users are cutting heavier materials with their Silhouettes. I do not recommend this for the long run. The Motherboard in the Silhouette machines was configured for detailed cutting, Print & Cut, & Vinyl work.

I am not trying to deter you or anybody reading this. I hope y'all don't think that. I am a long time user of the Silhouette machine. I also have a Cricut Imagine and BossKut Gazelle. I have used several different die cutters over the years. Die cutting is a huge love of mine. I absolutely adore my Cameo. I would buy another one in a heartbeat over my other die cutters.

If your into paper crafting and vinyl the Cameo is a perfect fit. It does cut light fabric so an excellent machine for fabric artists who work with light type cotton materials. If you are into quilting arts, mixed media, cake decorating or other heavy duty crafts you will want to look into a different machine.

MTC does not work on MAC. Some users have gotten it to work using Parallels and other VM type software.

SCAL does work with MAC and you can use the Cameo. SCAL has a really great forum with a lot of really sweet people on there. They can tell you more about MAC/SCAL and how it's working for them.

Silhouette Studio does come with your Silhouette it is free. If you want to import SVG's you will need to upgrade to the Designer version. The Designer version is already in Silhouette Studio so you won't have to download new software.

All the cutter software on the market does have a learning curve. There are millions of great YouTube videos and tutorial blogs to teach you. MTC & SCAL have great forums with helpful people.

I do work with all the software. I use MTC, SCAL, Funtime, & Silhouette Studio.

You can download Silhouette Studio for free: Silhouette - Download New Software The store is in the software so you can start browsing all the pretty files. It's freeware and not a demo.

I know I wrote another long post on die cutters. I like to be through because these are expensive machines and an investment for a lot of people.

Last edited by lylacfey; 04-19-2012 at 01:02 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I got my first MAC for Christmas and being in IT and only using/supporting Windows it was definitely a learning curve for me. So when I reinstalled my SCAL on it, I had to learn to use it all over again. I found Silhouette Studio Designer edition on sale for 50% off so I went ahead and bought it. I'm glad I did because since I already owned some Silhouette designs from the monthly subscription and SVG files from other sources, it's so much easier to have them all in one place. I would say if you do end up buying the Silhouette Cameo, already own SVG's and are planning to buy Silhouette's designs, go ahead and invest in the Designer Edition upgrade like I did. I haven't used my SCAL since. I should also mention that I have designed my own using Inkscape in the past and can very easily use those in Designer edition as well as SCAL.

As for the shapes, I'm also not a fan of "cartoonish" designs, but I'm definitely not disappointed in what the Silhouette store has to offer, you can visit the shape store without downloading the software HERE. Like DeeAnn recommended, go to SilhouetteAmerica.com and download the free Studio Software and try it out, it is the actual software that comes with the machine so there are no limitations except for the fact that you can't import or create SVG's. If you do decide to go with the SC, consider the $10/month subscription where you get a $25 credit on your Silhouette account each month that carries over to the next month if you don't use it. This is an especially great deal since I have found some great shapes in Clearance for 50 cents that are updated every Tuesday, all of the weekly Freebies are great quality too.

And one more point... shop around, Silhouette Cameo and the software are both frequently on sale, or you can get great deals on bundles every now and then that may include a Starter Kit for Vinyl, Fabric Transfer, etc. The extras are worth the wait, especially if it's something you may not consider before you try it. Do a google search for "Silhouette Cameo Promo Code". I don't think there's one now but it's probably coming in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you have enough information now. I'm glad the previous poster was able to point out the Cons since I don't cut these items so I wasn't aware there was a problem with them. I'm glad to know this now so it helped me as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I deeply appreciate the detailed explanations! This is all new to me.

I only make cards and a few small paper items such as gift card boxes, etc. so the fact it won't cut heavy material would be no problem for me.

If I understand this correctly all SCAL does is allow you to use SVG files with an electronic cutter so if I bought the "Studio Designer Edition" then I would not need SCAL. Correct?

The features listed on the Silhouette site say you can use any SVG files you find on the Net and elsewhere . It has a feature to keep all of your SVG files in a library including those you get from places other than Silhouette

How often to you need to replace the sticky mat and the cutting blade?

I realize the initial machine is a big investment, but I find it very attractive to be able able to buy SVG files for only 99� . Plus they are Vectors so I won't need to buy numerous sets of dies to have a range of sizes that I want.

I only make cards for family and friends and have some dies I have only used a few times . I don't want all of my cards to look alike .

It looks like this card making hobby will drag me " kicking and screaming" into the digital age :lol:
Thanks

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-19-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I've had my cameo since before Christmas. I bought 4 mats since I like to cut multiples out. I can put the paper on several sheets and feed them through one after another. All four mats are still sticky and fine. The blade is still cutting fine. I've cut out several projects.

I had an original silhouette before the Cameo. I changed the blade once in 4 years and bought new mats maybe a couple of times.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I bought my Cameo in November and haven't had to replace either yet. I did have a bad blade initially, but the replacement was perfect. I have lots of Silhouette cards/projects on my blog (see "Silhouette Cameo" under categories). You can save your svg files either in Silhouette Studio, or elsewhere on your computer.

If you want to get a membership for the online files, sign up for the Silhouette newsletter, they'll let you know of sales. I bought my subscription when it was on sale...definitely a great deal! HTH!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks !! I will go to look at your site

I checked the price to replace the mat and blade and it is only about $36 regular price for both, so that is not bad if they last a while. Of course I am sure I can find a discounted price when I need them.
I have spent a lot more than that replacing CB cutting mats .

I looked at the Silhouette library and they certainly have a lot of files available. I saw a few that I like so well I put them on a "Wish List" on the site. So now I Have a wish list at Silhouette America and no machine yet :grin:

I think I am talking myself into this .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Another long one.

Barbara if you buy Designer Studio you won't need SCAL. It's pretty much the same software. I have to use a variety of software because I have different machines. If I only had the Silhouette I would probably not even look into MTC or SCAL.

The cutting blades last forever with good care. Like ceramicat I had to replace my blade every four years. The cutting mats last a long time for me too. Pretty much the life of my machines. I usually recondition mine. If you type in resticking a Silhouette mat in your favorite search engine you will get a lot of great tutorials. I recommend the quilting spray for the best method.

The machines themselves upfront are an expense but once you get the machines they are pretty frugal in the long run. I make my Nesties, border punches, doilies, home decor, clothing accessories, jewelry & even nail art with these machines. I almost forgot you can make your own embossing folders to use in your Cuttlebug. I am a power user.

When you order the machines Silhouette includes a $10 gift card for their store. When I had the Silhouette SD I received a special $25 gift card. I haven't even spent $30 yet at the store. I take advantage of the Silhouette sales and really stock up on images. The sales run quite frequently.

I design most of my own files. I am blessed to have a Cricut with a very large library of images. I don't have a Silhouette subscription. I don't really need one. I recommend a Silhouette subscription to most new users. You will want to have a nice image library to work with. It just makes working with these die cutting machines so much easier, especially when you are trying to learn all the settings and how the machine works.

There are a lot of beautiful files on the Internet for free or very cheap.

SVGCuts: SVG Files for Sure Cuts A Lot - SVGCuts.com is a gold mine of beautiful images for a song.

PennyDuncanCreations: Penny Duncan Creations is a treasure trove of beautiful intricate files and Nesties that are free. Penny is one of the treasures in the die cutting community.

You can also use fonts with the Silhouette Cameo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for mentioning making embossing folders!! I read about that a while ago, but since I didn't haven an electronic die cutter I didn't pursue it .

I don't think I will ever stop using a manual die cutter, because I like to place a die over an image after I color it to get the placement perfect when I cut it out.

But for flourishes, decorative borders, corners and other independent images like Jack -O-Lanterns and Christmas stockings and ornaments I can see it would save me a lot of money and storage space.
I have visions of being able to get rid of the box of punches under my bed and quite a few dies . It would simplify my life to be able to chose a border design from my computer rather than drag the box of punches out from under my bed LOL

The SVGCuts.com says they work with SCAL1, SCAL2 and MTC. Will they also work with the Silhouette Studio Designer software?

I really appreciate all the replies!! This idea looks more promising every day

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-19-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Penny Duncan doesn't have the free files on her site anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Hi Barbara! I've been purchasing and using digital cutters since 2007 and I am proficient in a number of different software programs. I purchased the Cameo last fall and I am TOTALLY in love with it! Since I already owned the CraftRobo (which is the same thing as a Silhouette) I knew I would love it's cutting capabilities. I mainly design cards and I love intricate designs and my Cameo (as well as my Robo) does a marvelous job on them. I purchased the Designer Edition of the Silhouette Studio software and in all honestly, I've been going to that software first for my designing, as I've come to REALLY like it....and it is MAC compatible!!!

Just this past week I cut some thin chipboard with mine (to make a picture frame) and it cuts poster board wonderfully, as well as grunge paper (NOT grunge board). If you will go check out my blog, you will see some of what I've been doing and starting at this point you will see the test cuts I was doing right after I purchased my Cameo last Fall.

I hope this helps you and if I can be any further assistance, just let me know!

Pam (aka/YorkieMom)

Last edited by YorkieMoma; 04-20-2012 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: got rid of duplicate word and added another
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I am confused....how can you make embossing folders on the Cameo? Thanks........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The SVGCuts.com says they work with SCAL1, SCAL2 and MTC. Will they also work with the Silhouette Studio Designer software?
Yes, SVGCuts will work in the Designer Studio software. SVG's are a standard vector format in the graphic industry. They are like JPEG's. Except JPEG's are pixels and vector's are line art. That's the easy way to explain it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Penny Duncan doesn't have the free files on her site anymore.
Shoot! Sorry for posting wrong info everyone. Somebody mentioned on one of the die cutting forums that Penny was sharing her files again. I think it was a couple of weeks ago. I don't blame her for choosing to sale them. They are some of the most beautiful files on the Internet and worth every penny she sells them for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
I am confused....how can you make embossing folders on the Cameo? Thanks........
It was one of our SCS cat_woman who made up the tutorial. Here's the SCS link: Homemade Cuttlebug Embossing Folders by cat_woman at Splitcoaststampers. On the second page she has the tutorial.

This tutorial was written for the original Silhouette software. It definitely can be done in the new software quite easily.

If you type in make your own embossing folders in your favorite search engine you will find a lot more tutorials. Most of these tutorials are geared for the Cricut.

I want to give one tip. The Cricut is the biggest die cutter on the market. Most of the tutorials for die cutting are Cricut related. You can adapt any Cricut tutorial to work for the Silhouette.

If you find tutorials for SCAL, MTC, Inkscape or even Cricut specific related don't close the window thinking you can't do them. You can. The only thing you won't be able to do is cut heavier materials. For example tutorials like cutting felt with the Cricut you won't be able to do with the Silhouette. You can do those tutorials if you have a heavier cutter such as Gazelle, Zing, Cougar or Eclipse.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Just got the Cameo

Hi, I am new here and thought I could find out more info on the Cameo.
I have been reading that I don't need MTC or SCAL to do what I want. Just get the Designer software. I don't want to purchase it if it doesn't do what I need it to do.
I want to copy JPEG and PDF files, for example be able to cut out my Son's logo for his business. I know I can do this with MTC or SCAL and they let you try out the software. But then I read you can do this with the designer edition, but something about not getting cut lines.
I am not net to cutters, because I do have the Cricut, but I am new to being able to use my own designs. I would like to purchase the software that will do it all.
Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
It was one of our SCS cat_woman who made up the tutorial. Here's the SCS link: Homemade Cuttlebug Embossing Folders by cat_woman at Splitcoaststampers. On the second page she has the tutorial.

This tutorial was written for the original Silhouette software. It definitely can be done in the new software quite easily.

If you type in make your own embossing folders in your favorite search engine you will find a lot more tutorials. Most of these tutorials are geared for the Cricut.

I want to give one tip. The Cricut is the biggest die cutter on the market. Most of the tutorials for die cutting are Cricut related. You can adapt any Cricut tutorial to work for the Silhouette.

If you find tutorials for SCAL, MTC, Inkscape or even Cricut specific related don't close the window thinking you can't do them. You can. The only thing you won't be able to do is cut heavier materials. For example tutorials like cutting felt with the Cricut you won't be able to do with the Silhouette. You can do those tutorials if you have a heavier cutter such as Gazelle, Zing, Cougar or Eclipse.
You can emboss on the Cameo itself. I have used the Chomas Creations pen holder, a stylus and my Cuttlebug tan embossing mat for this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Amy's embossing tips are so nice. I was so excited to see her idea take off. I remember when she first came up with the concept. The tutorial link I have for above is too make embossing folders on the Silhouette to use for our manual die cutters (Big Shot, Cuttlebug, etc...) Some of us technique girls love our embossing folders. We can use them with heavier materials too. The Silhouette can't emboss on heavy materials since it's under 300 GSM. Amy's tips are great. A must for those who love to machine emboss.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I have to come back and read through this thread better, but I feel like I need the Dummies Guide to the Silhouette. LOL I don't know what half of this means, but I am also a Mac user so I'm trying to keep up!

Does Stamping count as Excercise??
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/zbownas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took a great class through Online Card Classes for the Cameo. The class is over but you can still have access to the lessons (just not the galleries and forums) and I highly recommend the class. I learned so much about my Silhouette and I am in love with it now.

Class Info | A Cut Above
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Really basic question here... what's the difference in the regular cut, print and cut, printable patterns, etc on the shapes store website?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Another silly question. I watched some YouTube videos last night, but there are tons of them and I haven't really seen this answered. If you are using a multicolor die, for example, you want to cut an apple. Do you have to print one whole apple in red and one whole apple in brown (to get the stem)? ::blush:: I told you I'm clueless! Actually I did see in one video where he seemed to highlight the part he wanted to print/cut, so maybe that's what you do?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Kristen- Here's a really great board: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/ I used to post there. Several of the ladies are wonderful there. Debbie, who started the forum, is an angel.

I know what your asking. I had an asthma attack tonight. I had to use my inhaler so now I am not putting two and two together. I would probably confuse you more trying to help.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Kristen- Here's a really great board: Error I used to post there. Several of the ladies are wonderful there. Debbie, who started the forum, is an angel.

I know what your asking. I had an asthma attack tonight. I had to use my inhaler so now I am not putting two and two together. I would probably confuse you more trying to help.
Thank you, yet again! I hope you are feeling better today! I will look over this forum this afternoon or tonight to learn more about it, I have a feeling this is exactly the kind of information I need and even more that I hadn't thought to ask. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Hello, I just recently gave up my cricut and switched to the silhouette. I am really stressing though bc it is a very difficult machine to figure out. I know once I do I will love it. I am only going to start tonight with one question bc I am so overwhelmed. I am trying to make circles (5 circles inside of one big circle) spelling out Happy Birthday. Iwant to put them on cupcake sticks on my daughters cake. I duplicated and then flipped the image and then tried to weld them together so that it would cut out. When I hit weld it would fill in the whole circle pink and teal. I printed it thinking it was just the computer but it printed that way as well. I then ungrouped them and hit weld and nothing happened. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong...Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Make sure when you select what you want to weld, it's only that part. It sounds like maybe everything within the shape was selected to. You can select one at a time by holding the Ctrl key and select each part one at a time.

If you are using Silhouette Studio, what you see is what you get meaning whatever you see on the screen is what will print.

Under A Cherry Tree has great tuts on welding!

Hope this helps. Any more questions, please ask!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

ok, so I figured out to just cut the edge...I think..when I click on the pencil everything is red but only the outline (the offset circle I created) is dark red...all the other smaller circles are red but not as dark. Does that mean it is only going to cut the dark circle? As far as welding..I don't know what I am doing wrong..I have selected the two outer circles and when I hit weld nothing happens...it doesn't fill in anymore bc I ungrouped...but now nothing happens
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

subbing and interested in any other great link on the cameo? clueless too
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampNScraplissView Post
ok, so I figured out to just cut the edge...I think..when I click on the pencil everything is red but only the outline (the offset circle I created) is dark red...all the other smaller circles are red but not as dark. Does that mean it is only going to cut the dark circle? As far as welding..I don't know what I am doing wrong..I have selected the two outer circles and when I hit weld nothing happens...it doesn't fill in anymore bc I ungrouped...but now nothing happens
Are your two "outer circles" actually touching each other? You can zoom in to check. Sometimes they may look like they are but if you look closer you may see a gap in between them, if there is, it won't weld.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

That was the problem..the circles weren't touching

next question,
I found a batman template and downloaded it...is there a way to separate the image? I want the oval to print on yellow vinyl and the bat on black...I am searching tutorials for separating images
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I am a new Cameo owner and just learning myself, made my first cuts Thursday night, but I think it depends on how the template or image is set up. I downloaded a couple of clip art images and when I traced them, I was able to separate the image from the background, but on a coloring page I downloaded, it didn't work that way. Please share when you get it figured out, lol!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampNScraplissView Post
That was the problem..the circles weren't touching

next question,
I found a batman template and downloaded it...is there a way to separate the image? I want the oval to print on yellow vinyl and the bat on black...I am searching tutorials for separating images

I'm guessing you mean the "Batman Symbol" where it's just a black bat on a yellow background then a larger black oval behind the yellow?

I suggest you do a "Trace" on the entire thing then pull the bat and the yellow oval out together. (Or you can just trace the bat, get rid of the rest and create new ovals if it's not smooth as I find sometimes happens with tracing clipart). Just center the bat on the smaller oval and group.

You'll get two pieces to cut (you can color the shapes to remind you of what color you want to use on each one):

- The yellow vinyl oval with the bat "void"
- The larger solid black oval.

This way when you stack the yellow vinyl on top of the the black, the voided "bat" area will be black too without having to add another layer. Create multiple tabs to keep your shapes on so you don't cut the one you don't want to yet.

There maybe other ideas, but this is what I would do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Maybe this will help...

hmm, it's small. Maybe I can mail you the image if you want it, enjoy the preview and unreadable text
Attached Thumbnails
More Silhouette Cameo questions-vinyl-layering-tut.jpg  

Last edited by Leeann34; 07-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: explained in message
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbownasView Post
Really basic question here... what's the difference in the regular cut, print and cut, printable patterns, etc on the shapes store website?
I am in the same boat!! i have had nothing to do with die cutting machines and have bought a silhoutte and i am totally lost. one of the problems i am having is the card stock 'tearing' when it is cutting. i have adjusted blade depth but still no luck!! I was so excited about getting this machine but that excitement has quickly turned into frustration and disappointment. Looked at several you tube vids, but they all seem to be aimed at people who have experience with cutting machines. I haven't come across anything that explains what and how to use the designs..Oh i could go on forever...anyone out there that can help???:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Hi Gailjj, I am a new Cameo owner, have had mine a little over a month. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, so I will try to help. What type of cardstock are you using? I have had great success with American Crafts. I also use a lot of Stampin' Up! cardstock and it took a bit of trial and error to find the right settings. For my machine, I use 7 blade depth with double cut and it cuts perfectly.

As far as the designs in the online store, printable patterns are papers you print with your printer. Print and cuts are images that you print first and then cut out with the Cameo using registration marks. Regular cuts are shapes that you cut and layer to create the design.

Also, there is a forum specifically for Silhouette users called Silhouette Plus, the ladies there are very knowledgeable and helpful!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I got an e-mail this weekend from a girl who was wanting to know if she could design her own files in Silhouette Studio and then sell the files in Studio format? She also asked about another cutter and it's software too.

I did some research and the answer is "No, you can not sell files in the studio format." These are files you designed not what is sold in stores.

I saw this thread got bumped up again. I wanted too add this on the thread since I answered and replied several times in this thread about the Cameo.

I know designing and selling does not effect most Cameo users. I know there are some designers who package their files with all formats to work in the various cutters so this would be an issue for them. Example of that you when you buy a file from a designer you will see it in several extensions such as SVG, DXF, Studio, WPC, GSD or AI.

If you are buying a Cameo for professional design and selling of cut files you can't sell your file in Studio format.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishymomView Post
Hi Gailjj, I am a new Cameo owner, have had mine a little over a month. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, so I will try to help. What type of cardstock are you using? I have had great success with American Crafts. I also use a lot of Stampin' Up! cardstock and it took a bit of trial and error to find the right settings. For my machine, I use 7 blade depth with double cut and it cuts perfectly.

As far as the designs in the online store, printable patterns are papers you print with your printer. Print and cuts are images that you print first and then cut out with the Cameo using registration marks. Regular cuts are shapes that you cut and layer to create the design.

Also, there is a forum specifically for Silhouette users called Silhouette Plus, the ladies there are very knowledgeable and helpful!
Hi. Thanks for your rply. i am using bazzill cs. no problems cutting basic shapes but when it comes to something more intricate that is when it starts tearing the paper. Living in Aus. i don't have access to a lot of the brands that are available in the U.S. i do have SU CS so i will give that a try. i have already registered with Silhoutte Plus and having a bit of a browse now. I guess it will be all trial and error and i think i am a little 'scared' of trying out too deep a depth in case i ruin the blade. i did get a new one so i have a spare now. so with the 'regular cuts' do you have to 'ungroup' them to cut the layers? confused with all of that as well.
i have done a print and cut, but had problems with my printer only printing reg marks on normal copy paper..wouldn't print on cs. will have to look into printer settings...it is all a new learning curve but i am sure with some patient i will get there..one thing i did notice when i got my new blade was that it seems to be 'calibrated' differently to the one that came with the silhoutte. On the original the 'spine' lines up with the #2 and on the replacement i bought it lines up with the #10. Don't know it this matters or not??:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

For all of you users of the Silhouette and Cameo that want more information ---and tons of help ---and if you have Facebook ---you should go to the group ---All Things Silhouette and Cameo -----it is a closed group--meaning you have to click the "invite" button and be okayed to use the page. There are so many ideas on there ---and so much help ---anything that you need to know, there are amazing ladies on there to help. It is truly an amazing page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

On the regular cuts, some open to the mat separated and some don't, it depends on the designer. I share my cut files and usually group them before I save the file, so the user would have to ungroup them. I don't know about the new blade. The one that shipped with my Cameo was defective and I replaced it after just a couple of days of use and didn't notice a difference except in the way it cut.

The selling of studio files has just come up as an issue in the past few weeks. Apparently Silhouette changed their Terms of Use to prohibit designers from selling studio files. You can still sell files created on the Cameo, just as SVGs not studio files. This is not a big deal to me and I wonder if it is a way for Silhouette to keep the price for studio files low. I have found it interesting that some designers sell the exact same files on their websites for 2 to 3 times more than you can purchase then for at the Silhouette Online Store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishymomView Post
The selling of studio files has just come up as an issue in the past few weeks. Apparently Silhouette changed their Terms of Use to prohibit designers from selling studio files. You can still sell files created on the Cameo, just as SVGs not studio files. This is not a big deal to me and I wonder if it is a way for Silhouette to keep the price for studio files low. I have found it interesting that some designers sell the exact same files on their websites for 2 to 3 times more than you can purchase then for at the Silhouette Online Store.
I just found out about it, lol. You can tell I don't keep up on die cutting news very much any more. I call it burnout. I would have been oblivious if I didn't get a question about it. It's a bit of a hassle for some designers who receive requests to convert files. The designers just zip the files up in several different formats including studio and sell them. Some new designers won't even think about this since it doesn't seem like a biggie. For years everyone was just bundling up their GSD files and SVG's together. GSD is the old format for the Silhouette machines. I would have been bundling and oblivious. I wanted to throw it out there in case others didn't know, like me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailjjView Post
Hi. Thanks for your rply. i am using bazzill cs. no problems cutting basic shapes but when it comes to something more intricate that is when it starts tearing the paper. Living in Aus. i don't have access to a lot of the brands that are available in the U.S. i do have SU CS so i will give that a try. i have already registered with Silhoutte Plus and having a bit of a browse now. I guess it will be all trial and error and i think i am a little 'scared' of trying out too deep a depth in case i ruin the blade. i did get a new one so i have a spare now. so with the 'regular cuts' do you have to 'ungroup' them to cut the layers? confused with all of that as well.
i have done a print and cut, but had problems with my printer only printing reg marks on normal copy paper..wouldn't print on cs. will have to look into printer settings...it is all a new learning curve but i am sure with some patient i will get there..one thing i did notice when i got my new blade was that it seems to be 'calibrated' differently to the one that came with the silhoutte. On the original the 'spine' lines up with the #2 and on the replacement i bought it lines up with the #10. Don't know it this matters or not??:rolleyes:
Update: I checked the blades and it looks like there could be a difference with the original one. i set both blades at 4 and the oringinal one hardly had any blade showing. So i will try setting 2 settings higher than recommended and see if that gives me better cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes