View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Studio Cappuccino
Compulsive Stamper

Question I'm about to break my Inktense...

I really have a love/hate relationship with my inktense pencils. At this point it's the hate side again. I have loads of coloring stuff actualy (Inktense 72, coloursoft 72, 24 wc pencils, all 168 spectrum noirs and 85 le plume II) but didn't use my inktense a lot cause I really don't know what I'm doing wrong with them.

I have Fabriano Accademia grain 240 gms, Fabriano Disegno (very smooth) Fabriano Accademia smooth, and Daler & Rowney heavy weight papers, and they all have something I don't like. The grain sucks up my water right away so blending the inktense doesn't work, and it will show the fibers heavily. Picking up the color from the pencil and color will leave streaks where my waterbrush hits the paper first and can't seem to get rid of it. Dampen the paper first, take the color from the pencil doesn't work to well either. Coloring and go in with a damp waterbrush will leave pigment on the paper from where I've colored. Make a colored square to take the color from and than color...aarrgghh
I saw some watercolor paper brands at SCS but here in the Netherlands we can't get those easily, and shipping from the US will cost me more than the pads.

I just can't seem to get smooth washes with them. I saw cards here that has great smooth blends with the inktense, that I just can't get. I'm about to sell my precious wooden box, cause they're frustrating me. I know it's not the product but the user, but OMG I just want to know how!

I've googled, watched youtube on inktense, read Andy, saw the hints & tips at Derwent, and I'm about to think there's a secret with them I have to figure out first before I can use them properly LOL.

Is there someone who can please tell me the secret?! and maybe give me a blend to get a bit to a skintone? I've tried vermillion blended with white and a touch of carmine...not quite.

Thank you in advance!!