Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lining up stamps on die cuts

What is the best way to stamp an image onto a die cut so the image is where you what it, eg centered on the diecut piece?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's not a clear stamp, then I would use the stamp-a-ma-jig.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If I'm using an "open" die (like Nestabilities) I usually do it by stamping first, laying the die over the image/sentiment since you can see to centre through the die. I hold the die in place with a little bit of tape (stuck so that it's on the die and the waste part of the cardstock) before I run it through the machine.

If it's a solid die or a pre-cut shape, I find a stamp positioner is the best way to go. I put a bit of repositionable adhesive on the back of the die cut to stop it moving around on the work surface and then use the positioner as normal.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aligning stamp image on die cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
If I'm using an "open" die (like Nestabilities) I usually do it by stamping first, laying the die over the image/sentiment since you can see to centre through the die. I hold the die in place with a little bit of tape (stuck so that it's on the die and the waste part of the cardstock) before I run it through the machine.

If it's a solid die or a pre-cut shape, I find a stamp positioner is the best way to go. I put a bit of repositionable adhesive on the back of the die cut to stop it moving around on the work surface and then use the positioner as normal.

HTH!
I guess im stuck using the stamp positioner. My big shot has to have the die facing up so the paper would cover it. Thanks for the suggestions tho :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by IworktostampView Post
I guess im stuck using the stamp positioner. My big shot has to have the die facing up so the paper would cover it. Thanks for the suggestions tho :-D
I use a Big shot with the die facing up too - that's the point of the tape to keep it all in position as it goes through the machine. Place the die over the stamped image and tape it in place, flip it over onto the cutting plate, top it with the second one and run it through the machine. Let me know if that's unclear and I'll try again

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a great idea for cutting pre-stamped images with dies. Check out this video on youtube. You make "templates" for the dies from clear acetate.

MFT Dienamics Tutorial: Die-cutting pre-stamped or digi images with Die-Namics - YouTube

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, that is very cool!

I've been using my Stamp A Ma Jig pretty successfully, but I am going to try this out.

Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

I love the acetate idea. I'm going to try this, especially with some of my more intricate Heartfelt Creations stamps and dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

I have a Big Kick (same machine), and I use the die facing down all the time. Just put the paper underneath the die, and make sure that you have a cutting mat under the paper. In other words, sandwich the die and the paper between 2 clear cutting mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I have a Big Shot as well, and I face the die up or down, whatever. Like Scrapjanny says, as long as the paper is against the cutting edge, no worries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Here is a great idea for cutting pre-stamped images with dies. Check out this video on youtube. You make "templates" for the dies from clear acetate.

MFT Dienamics Tutorial: Die-cutting pre-stamped or digi images with Die-Namics - YouTube
THANKS for this link! I had seen it originally on the MFT blog and had forgotten all about it. I'll be cutting acetate pieces this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Die cut a plain paper. You can stamp your image and then place the cut image over it so you will know where the cut will be in relation to your image. Then line up your die. This was a hint that I learned in a demo. a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
Die cut a plain paper. You can stamp your image and then place the cut image over it so you will know where the cut will be in relation to your image. Then line up your die. This was a hint that I learned in a demo. a few years ago.
This is what I do too, and it works especially well for the dies that aren't open in the middle.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

There is no rule saying the die has to go up or down so long as it is properly sandwiched between the cutting plates. Use it whichever way works best. For me, I like to see the die with the cutting side facing down so I can see where it sits on the paper and just what I am cutting out.

There is also a good video on the Heartfelt Creations website showing how to do this without a stamp positioner. It is a little tedious but if you keep the template for future use, it saves time in the end.

Heartfelt Creations - Matching the Stamps & Dies - YouTube

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Might have to try this version. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to press your diecut onto the matching inked stamp. Video here
Looks like it takes a good eye & some practice. I'm sticking to my stamp positioner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing bugga!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I have an open die I stamp first then place my die face down on top and use a post it note to hold the die and paper in place. Works great. A post it note is just sticky enough to hold everything in place and not wreck your stamped image or tear the paper.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Interesting method of making the negative template. I wonder if you could do the same with acetate - then you could keep the template forever. I think it would be easier to lay the negative over the image and drop in the die, rather than making the pencil marks around the positive template and then getting the die aligned with it.

Neither of these tips works, however, if you are using the kind of "ganged" closed back dies that, say, Papertrey sells. You know, where three dies are stuck together on piece of metal. Nichole Heady of PTI recommends stamping after cutting by making a sharpie mark both on your die and the back of your stamp that you can use to orient stamp and die correctly but I've never been able to do it. She makes it look so easy and reasonable on the video but I am flummoxed by it, so maybe it's just some personal brain glitz. I also don't always find it easy to stamp centered on a blank die cut, even if I've dotto-ed it down to a dark cardstock for maximum contrast. And worn my optivisors. The only thing I can do for those dies is use a stamp positioner. Also not a perfect method, especially if the die cut is biggish and awkward to hold and maneuver with one hand while you hold the positioner with the other.

Good thing the charm of stamping is in it's little imperfections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Interesting method of making the negative template. I wonder if you could do the same with acetate - then you could keep the template forever. I think it would be easier to lay the negative over the image and drop in the die, rather than making the pencil marks around the positive template and then getting the die aligned with it.

Neither of these tips works, however, if you are using the kind of "ganged" closed back dies that, say, Papertrey sells. You know, where three dies are stuck together on piece of metal. Nichole Heady of PTI recommends stamping after cutting by making a sharpie mark both on your die and the back of your stamp that you can use to orient stamp and die correctly but I've never been able to do it. She makes it look so easy and reasonable on the video but I am flummoxed by it, so maybe it's just some personal brain glitz. I also don't always find it easy to stamp centered on a blank die cut, even if I've dotto-ed it down to a dark cardstock for maximum contrast. And worn my optivisors. The only thing I can do for those dies is use a stamp positioner. Also not a perfect method, especially if the die cut is biggish and awkward to hold and maneuver with one hand while you hold the positioner with the other.

Good thing the charm of stamping is in it's little imperfections.
Lol, Rachelrose! Isn't that the truth! She does make it look so easy, and it seems like it should be with clear stamps, but there's that little bit of distortion through the acrylic, the glare of the reflected light, the eyes that aren't as good as they used to be...must be because she's much younger than I am! My stamping is quite "charming"!

"Do not regret growing older...it is a privilege denied to many."

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

So glad I ran across this thread. In the interest of saving space, I am considering getting rid of some of my bulky Marvy punches and just using my Nestabilities. My main question is do you just use regular scotch tape, or do you use something less "tacky"? And on the dies that are open, (and narrow like nesties) where do you tape it? All the way across, or just one side, or what? I don't want my dies to get all gunked up with tape residue. I haven't really used them for cutting out stamped images, just for layering shapes, but I'm thinking I might like to try.
Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanieView Post
So glad I ran across this thread. In the interest of saving space, I am considering getting rid of some of my bulky Marvy punches and just using my Nestabilities. My main question is do you just use regular scotch tape, or do you use something less "tacky"? And on the dies that are open, (and narrow like nesties) where do you tape it? All the way across, or just one side, or what? I don't want my dies to get all gunked up with tape residue. I haven't really used them for cutting out stamped images, just for layering shapes, but I'm thinking I might like to try.
Thanks for any advice!!
When I use the Nestabilities to cut a stamped image, I don't usually tape it down. I just put my cardstock with the image facing up and place the Nestie where I want it so the image is centered. Then I CAREFULLY place the other plate on top and run it through my Cuttlebug, holding the Nestie in place with the top plate while I get it situated in my Bug.

It's not as hard as it sounds. The Nestie doesn't move around if you are careful to keep it level as you place it in your machine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sometimes I tape sometimes I don't. TBH if I tape it is a worn piece that has minimal adhesive qualities just keeps it from slipping. Normally just one small piece on the side/corner will be enough. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

If you want to use something less sticky, use a post it note over the top, run it through and pull it off. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I only tape my Nesties down if I'm wanting to particularly cut out a certain part of my cardstock - like if I've done a Distress background and I like the way one area came out or if I'm working with a pattern that needs to be dead square. Or if I'm cutting a window in a card front.

I use blue painters tape. You can run a small piece right across the die on one or both sides to hold it in place. It comes right off the die cut piece at the other end and I have never had any gunk build up on the die. I usually take the bits of tape and stick them to either side of the top of my Big Shot to reuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the replies!! I'm just so tired of trying to store all those heavy punches, when I have the same designs in a die. I'm trying to re-organize my supplies and just keep what I can easily store. Thanks again, I'll give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I use quilter's tape, which is basically 1/4" wide masking tape. Works great with those narrow open dies.

**waving hi to Deanie, since our user names are pronounced the same!!**
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Another option for holding dies in place is repositionable Scotch brand tape. I found mine at Staples and it works great for holding things in place without causing any damage to paper. Little dies just need one piece, bigger dies sometimes need two. When I'm done I just stick the piece of tape on the top of my Cuttlebug and I can reuse them quite a few times before they lose all their stickiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I use quilter's tape, which is basically 1/4" wide masking tape. Works great with those narrow open dies.

**waving hi to Deanie, since our user names are pronounced the same!!**
That is so cool!! I thought it might be pronounced the same!! And my middle name is Kay so when I was young my uncles always called me Deanie Kay, but they ran it together and it came out as "Dina K"!! Lol!!

Last edited by Deanie; 08-13-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

I like the way that Heartfelt Creations shows to line up stamps and dies. Laying simply circles or squares are easy - it's those things like flowers that always got me. But using their technique of die-cutting a template - I have had perfect results. I just leave my paper template attached to the dies for my most frequently used.

Following is the link to a video. Give it a try and let me know which of the ways listed, you find easiest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGg...ature=youtu.be
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart Heartfelt Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dove13View Post
I like the way that Heartfelt Creations shows to line up stamps and dies. Laying simply circles or squares are easy - it's those things like flowers that always got me. But using their technique of die-cutting a template - I have had perfect results. I just leave my paper template attached to the dies for my most frequently used.

Following is the link to a video. Give it a try and let me know which of the ways listed, you find easiest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGg...ature=youtu.be
Colleen
THANK YOU COLLEEN for this video link! It will make my work so much easier now. Gabby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thank you to Colleen - that is a great video -- makes so much sense!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I am just a die cut challenged weirdo then. I tried all these suggestions for die cutting stamped images...Fail!! Cannot do any of them...I know the reason...I didn't go to Kindergarten so never learned to Cut and Paste properly. :( hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

Kathy, you may like the step by step PDF document. This way it doesn't zip past in a video.

Here is the link: Heartfelt Creations | How To

Then choose: Matching the Stamps & Dies

That should bring up a PDF document that you can even print out and keep by your project as you work on it. Good luck!
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #35  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

There's a very similar PDF tutorial at Impression Obsession: http://www.iostamps.com/mm5/images/DieAlignment.pdf
That's the one that solved all my positioning problems - with the very few matching dies and stamps I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
There's a very similar PDF tutorial at Impression Obsession: http://www.iostamps.com/mm5/images/DieAlignment.pdf
That's the one that solved all my positioning problems - with the very few matching dies and stamps I have.
Oh thank you so much! This one finally worked for me! I am on a roll now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

I am going to try this one tomorrow!
Thanks
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanieView Post
Thanks for any advice!!
I used Scotch Repositionable tape. I have also had people tell me they use sticky notes and painters tape. These tapes all have less "sticky" so I have never noticed a residue on my dies at all. Sometimes I will notice alittle on my cardstock but an adhesive remover (looks like an eraser) takes that off.

HH
Reply With Quote Likes