Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENABLER: Joann.com now Ships to Canada!!!!!

OMG! Can't believe it. Just saw on their site that they will ship to Canada via DHL. Still trying to determine if there's brokerage fees charged by DHL on top of the listed shipping prices. If not, the shipping pricing is competitive between Canada and the USA.

Will be researching this more :-)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Update: It does calculate the duty and taxes but the shipping isn't all that cheap. I did a test and put over $50 in nesties (4 @ $14.99 = $59.96) in the cart and tried to apply the free shipping code for orders over $50. The shipping code only works for US addresses.

Order $59.96
Canada Shipping/Duty $11.95
Special Handling $8.99
Total $80.90

That works out to $20.23 per set of Nesties. The cheapest I can find them in my area are around $24 taxes included. If the dollar continues to stay close to par, some of the other items on their site when on sale just might be worthwhile ordering :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Further update: Got an email with a flat rate shipping of $2.95. This code worked for Canada but there was still an $8.99 special handling fee. This is looking better and better all the time :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I know you Canadian gals have quite a time finding companies to order from with cheap enough shipping. Be warned though, that my last order w/ J's online took almost 4 weeks to reach me, and I'm in the US! The carrier was not DHL, it was Fedex first, then US Mail. Three weeks went by and I called J's and asked them to trace the package with Fedex (J's employees were super nice and even gave me a follow up call). I had used the free shipping code during checkout, so I don't know if it would have made any difference if I had just paid for shipping? Something interesting was that I ordered from two other online stores that same weekend and I got those orders within three days! Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention the delay I experienced so you wouldn't be too surprised in case your pkg takes a long time to reach you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the heads up. Many of us Canadians are used to waiting. I don't mind waiting if the price of what I've ordered is worth the wait and significantly cheaper than I can find the items locally.

Up until a a year ago I'd have things sent to my daughter while she was in school in Massachusetts and most recently I had three orders sent to a cousin in Connecticut. I've placed probably 10 orders with Joann.com in the past two years and used free shipping options for them all. None of those parcels took more than two weeks from the time I ordered to the time they reached their destination. I've been lucky :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
Thanks for the heads up. Many of us Canadians are used to waiting. I don't mind waiting if the price of what I've ordered is worth the wait and significantly cheaper than I can find the items locally.

Up until a a year ago I'd have things sent to my daughter while she was in school in Massachusetts and most recently I had three orders sent to a cousin in Connecticut. I've placed probably 10 orders with Joann.com in the past two years and used free shipping options for them all. None of those parcels took more than two weeks from the time I ordered to the time they reached their destination. I've been lucky :-)
You're welcome for the head's up! :-) And yes, you have been lucky with those orders to US :cool:arriving in just two weeks. I have been a long-time customer of Joann.com, though not much within the last year or so. They used to be more timely with deliveries, but lately I have seen several comments online on how slow they are to ship. And now, unfortunately, I have my own experience and story to attest to that.

My main issue with Joann.com is that nowhere on their web-site do they warn of slow shipping. So that comes as a complete surprise, considering that other companies attempt to get orders out in a more timely fashion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have no idea how that smiley with the sunglasses got in my message. I didn't type it and it wasn't there when I proofread it??? Wow, maybe I hit something on the touch screen by mistake. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by neeceView Post
I have no idea how that smiley with the sunglasses got in my message. I didn't type it and it wasn't there when I proofread it??? Wow, maybe I hit something on the touch screen by mistake. LOL
It's an automated emoticon but I can't remember which sequence of characters create it. I think it is something to do with the number 8 and a bracket ) but I can't remember for sure. Actually it is a colon : and the letter D that makes it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Leslie - just what I needed- more help to spend! LOL I do appreciate you sharing this tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianMomView Post
Thanks Leslie - just what I needed- more help to spend! LOL I do appreciate you sharing this tip.
You're quite welcome. It will be useful for some items, especially when there are 50% sales and their clearance section often has some good finds.

Before this happened, and now that our exemption rates have increased for bringing things back from the USA, I've been contemplating with a couple of friends of having some items ordered in to a depot in Calais, Maine and doing a day trip or an overnight trip to pick up our orders. It's only 6 hours each way. They'd have to be fairly large to justify the cost of gas and maybe a hotel for the night but it would be a fun road trip with four gals splitting the gas and the hotel :-) The only downfall would be we wouldn't be in the USA long enough to bring back cheap booze LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

my warning is to shop locally if the price difference isn't much. If we all shopped on line the small independent stores will close,and you will miss them! My nearest store is four hours away, the store half hour away having closed, she blamed the big box stores and internet shopping. We don't travel to the cities that often, so I rely on my sister to buy and ship or the internet, heaven when I am in a brick and mortar store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
my warning is to shop locally if the price difference isn't much. If we all shopped on line the small independent stores will close,and you will miss them! My nearest store is four hours away, the store half hour away having closed, she blamed the big box stores and internet shopping. We don't travel to the cities that often, so I rely on my sister to buy and ship or the internet, heaven when I am in a brick and mortar store!
I hear exactly what you're saying. The prices in Canada are highly inflated and many will not be close to joann.com even allowing for shipping and duty. I try to buy local where I can. We have Michaels here but no other large craft stores. If you have Michaels in your area, go in to a store and see the items that have both Canada and US pricing listed on the tags and you'll see what I mean. Here, they take a black marker to the US price to hide it from Canadians in hopes they don't get ticked off.
Reply With Quote Likes