Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copic vs. tombow markers / cardstock for water coloring

Gosh, I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm in the 'right' place. I have a question about markers. I just started collecting Tombows and NOW all I hear about are copics. What is everyone using now? I've spent a fortune on tombows - go figure, huh???? lol Also, if I wand to mist or waterbrush, what cardstock should I be buying? I have just begun with my questions....THANK YOU so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Hi there... I'm so glad you asked that question....Let me see if I can help…Tombow Dual brush Pens are water based so that gives them a lot more versatility than Copic, which are alcohol based. The Tombow Pens have a great blending factor and you can use a water brush or the blender pen which comes in the 10 packs. Please feel free go to YouTube and see some of the wonderful videos Marie Browning has done showing blending techniques with Tombow Pens, I think you’ll enjoy them. I hope I have answered your question if not please email me at [email protected]. Thanks, Sharron
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Oh Sharron, Thank you very much, and for the quick reply. YES, this was ever so helpful. I was completely torn as to what to get buy next. I will definitely check out YouTube as well. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

You're very welcome, if I can ever answer questions about Tombow please contact me. Enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I sure will - lol. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not connected with any manufacturer. I think both alcohol and waterbased pens have a place in creativity. The benefits of alcohol inks is that you don't need to seal them after in case the card gets wet (yeah I have had that happen in the mail).

I like the nibs and vibrant colors of Copics. FWIW when I did art in school I preferred watercolors for the transluscent layering options. Copic ink is more intense. If I were choosing now I may try other alcohol markers such as Shihans Twin Touch (Bics and Sharpies are limited color alcohol based markers too)....

If you are interested in alcohol based markers I would go to an art supply shop and try a few. You can then see what nibs/barrels you prefer (for example Copics have three types round, oval and square with different nib combinations). Then order from whomever you think will give you the best value for the marker of your choice.

Also don't be afraid to mix your media. IMHO Tombows and Copics are different media and can be used together, they will give you different results. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Very good information and so helpful. You mentioned sealing (when working with Tombo markers) I'm not familiar with that - how would I seal it? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've used almost every type of marker/pencil and like them all for different reasons and for different effects.
Water coloring with Tombows will produce that gorgeous, soft translucent look that you can only get with w/c's, but don't forget to use water color paper!! You can get a pad of w/c paper at any art/craft supply store. There are several different types of w/c paper, smooth (hot press), rough (cold press). Hot press is harder to find, but better for stamping on, look in art supply stores.

Copics/alcohol based markers produce a very vibrant, smooth look of a graphic illustration. Again, a matter of preference. They work best on very smooth papers that is an entirely different subject, everyone has their favorites.

My advice would be to keep using your Tombows, (I have them and still love them) practice, practice, practice. When you have mastered them, and you still feel you want to branch out, then try the Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thank you, Katarina. That is exactly what I thought I would do. I certainly NEED practice, and I will use my Tombows. IF I get good at this, I will graduate to the copics. Thank you, also for your very informative advice on water-color paper - I have sooooooo much to learn, but I'll get there. This is such a wonderful site - everyone is so ready to help. I feel a little overwhelmed, but I have to jump right in this time instead of procrastinating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

You don't have to seal. It is just I sent a card to a rainy climate in rainy season. I now have a spray Krylon sealant (matte) that is useful for chalks/pastels as well as watercolor.

I agree practice with what you have and then add (or subtract) from your supplies. I love coloring so have loads of open stamps and coloring mediums. My biggest mistake was I bought lots of kits to begin with. I still have lots of kits. I guess I will use them one day, but I hate letting them go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Thank you. The sealant sounds great, though. I might have to check into this one day. It is an expensive past-time, but I think of how much fun I'll have when I know what I'm doing - lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep your Tombows since you have them and what was said about going to You-Tube and searching out Marie Browning's Tombow videos, and watching them. You'll learn about what inks to stamp with, how to blend, etc.... There is a wealth of videos on You-Tube for whatever you are interested in. Tombow, Stampin' UP! markers, etc....

The same with the Copic markers. They are not waterbase, but Alcohol base. You can also find tons of video's on You-Tube by searching Copic Markers. There is also the Copic Lady herself, Marrianne Walker I Like Markers You can search her blog for the type of paper, ink to stamp with, etc....

It's a good idea to play, doodle, etc., with many types of markers and pens, to see how you like them, how they work for you, and the effect you are going for.... most of all.... have FUN!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I am 'mentally fatigued' at the moment taking in all this info, BUT I'm sure in time, I'll get it all figured out. You ladies are a wealth of information and I'm a smidge envious - lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #14  
ckv
Kookie Creator

You should see This website http://http://jerrikay.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2009/01/31/water-color-tutorial/ her work is amazing! She works with Tombows and does a beautiful work with her cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Wow - this is impressive. Thank you so much for this.
Reply With Quote Likes