Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Need Written (not video) Tutorials

Or maybe we could have BOTH written and video tutorials?

For those of us confined to slow internet connections , mostly because of where we live, video tutorials are frustrating and often useless because Streaming uses processor speed and bandwidth we can't get.

Given that you have to have a script-of-sorts from which the video is made, wouldn't it be quite simple to turn that into a written tutorial?

A written tutorial we can print out would also be of benefit to those of us who CAN watch the video but are in danger of forgetting one of the crucial steps of a technique unless we have instructions before us as a recipe is before us when we make a Croquembouche the first time and every time thereafter.

Right now I am wishing for a tutorial on Double Embossing, and there is a video on the specific KIND I want to do, but I can't watch it. Among the written SCS Tutorials, there are other kinds of Double Embossing, but not the one I need. This is just one example and meant to say I know about the SCS Resources, for which I am very grateful, but with the advent of You Tube, it seems written tutorials are sadly becoming very scarce.

I guess this is just a plea for the video makers to make a written version at the same time they make the video.

Thanks,
Bahb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many times, especially after I have a stamp camp, I will post the instructions of my projects on my stamping blog. I know my readers like to see the typed instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for text tutorials!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
For those of us confined to slow internet connections , mostly because of where we live, video tutorials are frustrating and often useless because Streaming uses processor speed and bandwidth we can't get.
I have to say I don't miss the days of dial-up internet. I love my cable modem and am very thankful for it. I've got none of that old school "dial-up hissing" from in the modem dialing just like in the movie "You've got Mail". That seems like so many years ago. Here in Nova Scotia, the statistics for those on dial up are slowly are getting smaller and smaller as the province becomes "wired". Hopefully it is the same in your area and you'll eventually get linked.

I can't recall how it works with YouTube specifically, but I'm wondering if can download the video tutorials in the overnight hours while you're sleeping, and then have them the stream in your cache so you can watch them the next day while offline? I'm thinking the stream has to go somewhere in the memory of your computer.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

What double embossing tutorial are you looking for?

Besides the Double Embossing tutorial named like that in the resources section we also have

Double Embossed Enamel and Embossed Embossing.

Our featured tutorial coming tomorrow also features two different embossing on one project.

P.S.: We will always continue to post a printable photo tutorial along with a video tutorial for each of our new tutorials.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeateView Post
What double embossing tutorial are you looking for?

Besides the Double Embossing tutorial named like that in the resources section we also have

Double Embossed Enamel and Embossed Embossing.

Our featured tutorial coming tomorrow also features two different embossing on one project.

P.S.: We will always continue to post a printable photo tutorial along with a video tutorial for each of our new tutorials.
Beate, I really appreciate that both are available to us. Makes my stamping life so much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry Bahb, I just added my first ever video tutorial to my blog today! I know you drop by sometimes so I hope it won't put you off visiting! It seems like one of those situations where you can't really win - lots of people say "we want to SEE, give us video" and when you do, other people say "write it down"! If it's any consolation I have stuck with my usual principle of giving some description in my post of how I made the project and I think most people would be able to tackle doing something similar based on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Given that you have to have a script-of-sorts from which the video is made, wouldn't it be quite simple to turn that into a written tutorial?
I can only speak for myself but I had nothing written down at all, I just talked as I made so I wouldn't have had a written starting point to turn into a tutorial.

If you can't find a tutorial for something there are usually other ways to find out and the forums here at Splitcoast are an awesome resource in that respect. If you start a thread asking how to do something, you'll almost always get responses to help you out. If you say you already know about particular resources but they don't quite cover your needs and give the reason then people can get a clearer idea of exactly what you want to achieve, too.

The "tutorials" subsection under the "techniques" area of the forum is also worth a look since the guidelines for posting there mean that there have to be written instructions for any project posted there, not just a link to a blog post or a video.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

At the moment, I can't even remember what it was I was trying to copy, but I know it had a You Tube tutorial that was taking forever, streaming in two-word slow chunks, VERY frustrating. I went to the Resource section on SCS and there were 2 or 3 kinds of Double embossing but not what I was looking for.

I just finished watching Angel North's You Tube she just mentioned here, and I'm stunned it was her first and she didn't use a script. AND she followed it with a Text Tutorial that is just perfect. If I were king, I would make this the poster child for tutorials.

The SCS Resource section has taken me on so many fun escapades with paper and ink, I am forever grateful and would not want my You Tube tutorial query here to imply otherwise. It's just that the rural areas of the USA confine people to internet via dial-up, satellite or Wi-Fi, none of which favor Streaming anything unless you can afford the most expensive speed of Wi-Fi, ($130 monthly). I was afraid Text Tutorials would eventually be totally replaced by You Tube.

Thanks all for your responses, helpful as always,
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes